AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to understand nV took marketshare away from AMD, when AMD wasn't able to compete from 40% to 20% in over a year. How do you think AMD will get back to 40% faster when they will have competition ?
When couldn't they compete?
FYI- The research firms are using shipments as marketshare, which is why I said it depends on when Nvidia gets their counterparts out.

With the performance figures and price they are suggesting, growing the actual market can move that marketshare number quickly. Another consideration for mGPU is the explicit nature of DX12/Vulkan. Instead of doing physics asynchronously at the suggested prices you could have an entirely separate GPU accelerating parts of a game. It wouldn't be ideal, but two disparate adapters accelerating different parts should provide a performance edge. We still don't seem to have seem the fastest Polaris 10 variants either and it seems increasingly likely mGPU setups will come as well given those cooler designs. I can't imagine someone designed a water cooler for a $200 part that can't use over 150W. Or that they are designed to replace the water cooler on an already $1500 card(Pro Duo) that is already water cooled.

$199 confirmed.
Not a particularly small card.
IKF0DI6.png

Having an influx of affordable VR-capable cards will be good for the future of VR, but there'll still be a chicken/egg problem coupled by the time lag for content to be created. Also having a $200 card for the budget-minded individual doesn't suddenly make an $800 VR system with no killer apps a good deal. Perhaps when gen2 VR arrives Oculus/HTC will attempt a budget SKU using a simplified gen1 design for $300 or something.

2 polaris chips at 51% utilization beat an 1080 at 98% utilization, according to them.

Any chance polaris can gain similar to 1080 levels of utilization in future dx12 titles? If so a single polaris 480 would be matching a 1080, at least in some dx 12 titles.

I still ask me if it is a good idea to come with a ( 199$ ) gpu's without having launch the "big gun" before. Strangely, peoples who tend ot buy thoses cards, seems offtly just take reference of the high end one.

Does anyone think they're going to announce a bigger Polaris card in the near future? I'm wondering how long I should hold off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back