Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice advancement in the storage field, hopefully in few years home consoles will start adopting this.

BGA_SSD_Main_2_2.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Samsung-Crams-Entire-512GB-NVMe-SSD-Single-BGA-Chip-Package

512GB SSD [48 layered package that includes 4GB RAM layer for drive usage and layer for storage controller!] that can be soldered directly into the mobo, maxes out at 1.5GB/s reads and 900MB/sec writes.

Nice advancement in the storage field, hopefully in few years home consoles will start adopting this.

BGA_SSD_Main_2_2.jpg

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Samsung-Crams-Entire-512GB-NVMe-SSD-Single-BGA-Chip-Package

512GB SSD [48 layered package that includes 4GB RAM layer for drive usage and layer for storage controller!] that can be soldered directly into the mobo, maxes out at 1.5GB/s reads and 900MB/sec writes.

That'd be awesome in pretty much anything really. Phones, consoles, computers...

Wow. For phones, to cut down costs they may be able to provide even smaller solutions.
"64GB ought to be enough for everybody."

I don't know if this will be viable for phones, since M.2 SSDs use around ~1W of power during write. This has maybe changed in the last year or so, I did not looked it up recently.

Flash storage on the other hand remains very power efficient and will remain in use for a long time.

I don't know if this will be viable for phones, since M.2 SSDs use around ~1W of power during write. This has maybe changed in the last year or so, I did not looked it up recently.

Flash storage on the other hand remains very power efficient and will remain in use for a long time.
It's not that phones would use a M.2 SSDs, it is the 1g chip that is 512GB (or do they mean Gb (gigabit)). That should use way below 1w.

Apple already uses PCI-Express NAND solutions and I doubt this single-chip one consumes 1W.

Maybe Samsung will put it in one of their flagship phones in the future, but damn.. with 16 x 48-layered NAND stacks + 4GBytes LPDDR4 + a microcontroller that probably has multiple Cortex R cores, this thing can't be cheap (or slow). My guess is this is going to be in the next Surface Pro and Surface Book models, and probably only the most expensive models will get them.

Apple already uses PCI-Express NAND solutions and I doubt this single-chip one consumes 1W.

Maybe Samsung will put it in one of their flagship phones in the future, but damn.. with 16 x 48-layered NAND stacks + 4GBytes LPDDR4 + a microcontroller that probably has multiple Cortex R cores, this thing can't be cheap (or slow). My guess is this is going to be in the next Surface Pro and Surface Book models, and probably only the most expensive models will get them.

I doubt it , it will take awhile to go into surface pros. We can dream. I want this bad lol. I am thinking of getting a pci-e ssd for my pc at the end of the year when I buy zen and a new board.

Will the next TRUE generation of consoles be Native 4k (TM) with dynamic scaling for 8k just in case. That I assume wireless VR as well.

Will the next TRUE generation of consoles be Native 4k (TM) with dynamic scaling for 8k just in case. That I assume wireless VR as well.
Cant be, as TRUE next-gen means AR (AugmentedReality), as VR is so NOT next-gen.

Cant be, as TRUE next-gen means AR (AugmentedReality), as VR is so NOT next-gen.

Well I was referring to Next Gen Console rather than Next Gen VR. Whether Next Gen VR is AR or VR I would think it would be wireless first most importantly. I think wireless would be the more easier thing to sell as Next Gen rather than making 4k @120 Hz the Next Gen standard which seems rather incremental despite being kinda hard to do well.

I think that Magic Leap thing could fufill its name at some point but I don't know if it can immerse you the way VR seems to be able to do.

Last edited:
Their HBM2 will be available Q3'2016 in two bins:
4GB stack, 256GB/s
4GB stack, 204GB/s

This makes me hope so much for Vega 11 to be a "luxury mid-range" for laptops with RX 470 performance and a single HBM2 stack with ~60W power consumption.

It would be interesting to see what this would look like compared to what you can buy today.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2016/04/amd-working-on-4k-120hz-vr-hmd/

From that

Even with these additions, VR is far from perfect. Taylor noted that achieving 144 frames per second with 16K resolution per eye was the real goal for the tech, which is something fans likely won’t see for a very long time.

After trying out the current VR implementations, I'd have to agree with that. The 1k (1k x 1k) we currently have is quite bad for anything other than a proof of concept, IMO. 4k x 4k per eye will be better, but still be far too low. 8k x 8k might be enough, but I have my doubts. 16k x 16k will likely be what's needed.

And the tech will still be completely unsuitable for people like me. Any movement that doesn't directly correspond to my head movement or body movement in real life immediately makes me start to feel nauseas. As I mentioned in another thread, even a scrolling menu that scrolls independently of my head movement made me feel queasy. I still plan to try out some more games to see if there is any developer that has made a game with camera movement that isn't tracked 1:1 with actual head/body movements that won't make me want to vomit.

I still plan to get one just for movie watching, however, once resolution becomes non-awful.

Regards,
SB

PSVR 2.0?

If Sony could make it wireless you could say that 2.0 and folks would likely agree with you. You would also need a new console since the wireless tech (UWB or the)
At least we don't need to render all those pixels fully with foveated rendering. There are already working solutions for "in-headset" eyetracking.

Yeah I wonder when there may be a standard format for sending VR data "compressed" for human consumption like a MPVR that may help with reducing bandwidth for wireless broadcast as well as wired and rendering etc.

From that

Any movement that doesn't directly correspond to my head movement or body movement in real life immediately makes me start to feel nauseas. As I mentioned in another thread, even a scrolling menu that scrolls independently of my head movement made me feel queasy. I still plan to try out some more games to see if there is any developer that has made a game with camera movement that isn't tracked 1:1 with actual head/body movements that won't make me want to vomit.

I still plan to get one just for movie watching, however, once resolution becomes non-awful.

Regards,
SB

Yeah VR will have to rely on a subset of the consumer that can tolerate it. Lots of folks but not all of them. Maybe some form of "AR for VR" may help here if somehow throwing in a "sense" of the room around you or even just the horizon, subconsciously to kind up sync things up for certain folks.

So here's a question, what are the limits of async timewarp/reprojection based rendering methods? The technology (network?) isn't quite there, but would decompressing a cloud stream and reprojecting be more acceptable than local processing? For certain game and app types (mobile) it would easily be beneficial (limited local rendering/processing). Most recent GPU hardware has accelerated encode/decode. VR might work, but the data/latency is likely still problematic.

PCs have some remote streaming capabilities, but I'm not aware of any reprojection. Could consoles do the same with clients designed for reprojection? Client being along the lines of a smart TV, handheld, headset(?), etc at the location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back