UC4: Best looking gameplay? *SPOILS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did not say he was being any more general.
"My comment wasn't especially about the volumetric lights."

By being unspecific about a particular case, he is being more general with his comment.

He simply said that it would be impossible to make a 100% proof of his statement, not that the statement was not any less absolute. But that's alright :)
Person A asserts the non existence of aliens.
Person B requests A provides proof that aliens don't exist.
This is nigh impossible - This is the only matter I was talking about, not the validity of Person A's theory.
Person B acknowledges evidence of absence is impossible. Person A's theory is neither proven nor disproven.
Person C provides video evidence of the alien living in their garage.
This proves Person A wrong, but doesn't change the fact that you can't prove the absence of something with evidence. Which everyone's in agreement with. Had Person C kept the video secret, Person A would still be of the opinion that aliens don't exist.

It's amazing the lengths VFX goes to discredit PS4 exclusive games visual achievements, he done exactly the same on GAF, using AC Unity as his shining light of visual perfection, lol...

Person B requests A provides proof that aliens don't exist.
This is nigh impossible - This is the only matter I was talking about, not the validity of Person A's theory.
Person B acknowledges evidence of absence is impossible. Person A's theory is neither proven nor disproven.
Person C provides video evidence of the alien living in their garage.
Person A kills alien in Person C's garage.

Oh dear, now we're gonna talk about spaghetti monsters? Yes, there is a spaghetti monster above you... I mean, no, there is no spaghetti monster! :LOL:

Let's just accept that UC4 does, sometimes, use volumetric lighting. We've now established that, no more, no less. It also happens to make the statement that UC4 does not use volumetric lighting not so true. It's really not that big of a deal lol. Just let it go *Frozen.jpg* :p

So we're all on one page, maybe. Sometimes, volumetric lighting, most of the time, no volumetric lighting. There, confusion gone :)

Last edited:
Do we really have to have a deontological theory debate in here too... oh man... I thought this was already off-topic enough :)

So... what did we establish in who owns the burden of proof? I need a summary... honestly... Everyone? No one? Somewhere in between? Does anyone own it more than anyone else? Is any information important? What's the standard for evidence? Is evidence meaningless? Does anything have any meaning anymore? Is anything about this topic real anymore? Honestly, even legal debates are probably not so far-reaching :D

I don't understand where this conversation is going. Should we take more extreme examples of impossibilities and improbabilities and extreme hypotheticals? Are we even talking about Uncharted 4 anymore?

Going by the current discourse in the thread, I don't think anyone is going to agree on anything on that subject... burden of proof... haha... I mean, there's not even going to be agreement on many things about Uncharted 4 as the game proper, so asking for agreements on a philosophical level *might* be stretching it a bit.

Is this off-topic yet? Man, Uncharted 4 is like the most deeply philosophical game I've ever seen... :)

Let's just take a step back and return to the game, and hopefully get a discussion closer to Uncharted 4 proper, not the Uncharted 4 B3D meta-game... surely there's plenty more for everyone to disagree with on U4 itself alone before we start getting into the meta-physical nature of the universe or something :p

Last edited:
Found other areas where there's pom with self shadowing

regular pavement
uncharted4_athiefsend0uxg6.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendq0z29.jpg

Underwater
uncharted4_athiefsendiwa3o.jpg
uncharted4_athiefsendzclcb.jpg

And something i haven't seen before, seems like it's changing presets depending on the view angle: http://webmshare.com/VNXD3

Edit: Also spoiler tagging images now to avoid this jumping around when the page loads

Last edited:
There's a lot of POM on the outdoor areas in Madagascar I think. Maybe near the towers, or maybe everywhere else too, can't remember. But I noticed it a lot when you go "investigate" the first tower, lots of POM on the ground there. I will have to take a picture of it though.

Neat detail in Madagascar clock tower, you can see people downtown in this scene (all animated too)

uncharted4_athiefsend8nb0e.jpg
uncharted4_athiefsendxmx9g.jpg

The city is more detailed than i would expect from this distance :)

Also aniso reflections on wood surface: http://webmshare.com/oKZg6

I don't know how rare anisotropic reflections on materials are but Uncharted 4 is using them quite often on a wide variety of materials.

Edit: Yet another example of pom

uncharted4_athiefsendgal0a.jpg
uncharted4_athiefsendy5br3.jpg

Last edited:
Is this POM also? Or another shader/mapping tech, it looks nice though. From one angle it is very "textured" but if you lower the viewing angle enough it is just completely flat :D

26703327464_b462dc008c_o_d.png

27035272770_fcc337517b_o_d.png

27035275950_b953b6e094_o_d.png

I don't think it loads any separate LOD depending on angle for this, if it is also POM I think, I don't know.

Also just some really nice texturing, this I just stopped driving randomly in the Madagascar level, the dirt ground textures are incredible.

27035264720_ac6340e0c8_o_d.png

27240425361_cd7dd49910_o_d.png

27035260540_d5a63e47fd_o_d.png

Really nice mix of shaders and textures to give off a very sharp look here. These are all gameplay.

I think that's where Substance helped a lot, the textures in this game range from amazing to very good, even if you can still find some lower res in very limited places. As for the pom that's what i though too, i posted

This:
POM or normal maps it's all over Madagascar and everything has self-shadowing too
uncharted4_athiefsendrqjj8.png

uncharted4_athiefsend5pj4p.png

Literally everywhere you look, looks really nice. Although you can't beat actual geometry but it would have been way harder to have self shadowing on all that extra geometry (especially the small pebbles) so both have cons/pros.

Edit: during normal play it looks something like this
uncharted4_athiefsendluktf.png

Good trick to fake extra shadows and geometry and give depth and detail to the environment with the hardware they were given :smile:

And This:
Another example, this must be literally everywhere in the game and I just noticed!
uncharted4_athiefsendo3kfy.png

uncharted4_athiefsendpbjie.png

Yea I think this mapping technique is the most common in textures for this game. They really do use shaders in a way that makes the textures really pop, even up close! Nice examples.

Found other areas where there's pom with self shadowing

regular pavement
uncharted4_athiefsend0uxg6.jpg

uncharted4_athiefsendq0z29.jpg

Underwater
uncharted4_athiefsendiwa3o.jpg
uncharted4_athiefsendzclcb.jpg

And something i haven't seen before, seems like it's changing presets depending on the view angle: http://webmshare.com/VNXD3

Edit: Also spoiler tagging images now to avoid this jumping around when the page loads
Very interesting analysis clukos. That filter works wonders to graphics enthusiasts. Hope you find more interesting stuff.

I think that's just low res shadow... as for going with camera changes I dunno hahaha. But in general, especially while playing and you "zoom" (with R1/R2 aim while gun holstered) especially you can really notice the low-res of the self-shadowing. Most of the time it's pretty good resolution, but sometimes it drops a lot, I guess when more shadows/more complicated scenes are being rendered or something.

What is "substance" @Clukos you mention?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back