PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is they won't touch the CPU much, just because maybe the cost per unit doesn't reflect in "gud graphics" as much as does cost per increasing GPU power?

If they change anything, I would guess they just beef up the GPU. But I think actually the rumours, if they are accurate now, the specs won't change later either.

Maybe though... if AMD has something else CPU wise cooking in the oven that is also nice and cheap for laptops/consoles :p

If anything is upgraded/changed from the rumoured specs though, I would bet GPU first, CPU last.

Unless they want to aim more highly at 60+ and 120 fps for VR. I guess a stronger CPU is more important here?

The only things the Sony rep said was it will not be out in 2016 and than they were relieve to have an idea of what MS wanted to do and like I said he tells the next Xbox is a great product... Maybe the console launch will be 1rst quarter 2017..

Unless they funded two different ASIC/mask designs, the chip is going to be final if it's launching H1 2017. Any decisions would be related to redundant blocks & clock speeds.

At times like this I wish I was still in touch with some of my lesser high school friends lol, all the techies went to a different university than me though XD

I'm fairly certain they still work at ATI/AMD in Toronto, it's very nearby to me actually, their headquarters that is... I imagine they know exactly what is happening with this perf. of PS4 and even Scorpio. I'm pretty sure they still do a lot of the GPU work up there. It was formerly the ATI headquarters.

I remember asking them a while ago about the perf. of PS4 before it was released, a few months before the PS Meeting in Feb 2013, the only thing they told me though was it was a 8-core CPU which was somewhat already known, no scoop for me :p

:rolleyes: Just takes another couple months to recertify/redo the entire chip.

No.

AMD could sell them on the Navi architecture, which early disclosures mention is emphasizing using multiple chips. That, coupled with the rumored introduction of GMI and its use in linking CPUs separate to GPUs, could just mean tacking chips on after every competitor's press release.

Just leave a socket or bare spot in the PCB, or if AMD's HPC work gets them a partner that can provide a short-length copper or fiber blade interconnect, give the boards connectors like NVlink (or the consoles expansion ports on the top and/or bottom) and stack.

:rolleyes: Just takes another couple months to recertify/redo the entire chip.

No.

I never said that they will redo the chip. I said the console will not release 1rst Quarter 2017 because imo it is not viable commercially if they redesign the chip it is 2018...

Knowing what MS will do they have choice, going before I doubt it. Going on the same time and overclock a little bit the GPU for reduce a little the gap*between the two console or delay the Neo launch...

* not enough the gap will still be huge...

Last edited:
I thought PS VR was going to launch first on PS4 Vanilla?

They could stagger the launches with a year difference. Two platform/console launches at the same time would be too tough I think. But maybe it will, just my guess.

Well there are rumors that indicate PS4K exists because VR on PS4 would be a substandard experience. If thats true, then if PS4K is delayed then PS VR would be too.

The truth of those rumors remains to be seen.

Knowing what MS will do they have choice, going before I doubt it. Going on the same time and overclock a little bit the GPU for reduce a little the gap*between the two console or delay the Neo launch...

* not enough the gap will still be huge...

According to an insider that posts on gaf, the initial PS4K specs picked up by Kotaku and other outlets are a ruse..

E3 will be a shocker :oops:

They can't hide the specs from devs, and since most of the reliable publications had multiple sources corroborating this (i.e. devs), I don't see how they can bait-and-switch something so important.

Various parameters could be labeled tentative, or promises can be made for what the lowest value or guaranteed amounts will be before any possible adjustment. This gen has examples of additional resources or positive adjustments as the platform improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back