Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right-click file, select "open with", like you've been able to do since...hell, I don't recall. Many years though. You get a window with choices windows believes can handle the file format in question, pick your program, tick "always use this program" checkbox or whatever the actual text for it is, if you want your choice to be made permanent.

HTH. :)
As if I didn't already know this. Please. Maybe my uses with 8.1 were unluckily the worst case scenarios but I have really struggled with this OS with very simple things.

W10 is such an improvement from 8.1! For my use cases anyways.

weird. W 8.1 was fast from my experience with it on Atom, Core Y series, old pentium. It W8.0 thats bloody slow.

EDIT:
btw W8.1 does have a horrible habit of doing secret stuff in the background that eat lots of CPU. You always can kill it using task manager though. Windows never complains :D

Yeah, same experience here. Win 8/8.1 made some of my older Core 2 and Atom based machines actually useable. The performance increase over Windows 7 was absolutely massive on these low power devices.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, same experience here. Win 8/8.1 made some of my older Core 2 and Atom based machines actually useable. The performance increase over Windows 7 was absolutely massive on these low power devices.

Regards,
SB
yeah. windows 7 was vista-slow on those kind of devices.

this is ridiculous... "Microsoft Account" keep devouring my CPU.

not really a problem on my desktop but on my tablet, yeeesh! My tablet do have 15 watt CPU but it only have 6 Watt SDP. This "microsoft account" making my CPU stuck in 6 Watt SDP all the bloody time.

w10cpu.png

I don't even have that process :neutral:
But then I went through & turned off all the crap initially.

i sniffed it using procmon and turns out, its have connection with metro apps like twitter, edge, etc. Does Microsoft decoupled the metro apps from explorer.exe into this new seperate process?

but... then why it now eats CPU all the time...

ugh Windows Mysteries.

i sniffed it using procmon and turns out, its have connection with metro apps like twitter, edge, etc. Does Microsoft decoupled the metro apps from explorer.exe into this new seperate process?

but... then why it now eats CPU all the time...

ugh Windows Mysteries.

It's there for background updates to your applications, I believe. So things like e-mail being periodically updated with incoming email, the weather app having the most recent weather forecasts, the news app having the most recent news headlines, keeping your calendar synchronized, checking to make sure social networks are updated, etc.

You'll notice web browsers can also have constant activity if they are set to keep the most recent version of web pages displayed. Or in the case of many websites, javascript meant to rotate ads or do other "things" can keep constant activity in the browser even if you aren't viewing the page actively.

Basically anything that keeps checking online for new data will have some activity even when not in use.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Finally have windows 10 running on an external drive for my macbook pro. Overall it seems pretty nice, but there are still some questionable decisions in the control panel and other configuration screens.

windows 10 calculator is stupid or what?

7PYtZw9.png

Yeah, that's a troll picture. The person posting it hasn't completed the equation. Pressing either the equals sign or simply enter will complete the equation.

It's weird to show partial solutions. What's the point? It's just misleading. Other calculators show the result and you'll never be confused by thinking the partial result is the actual result. But I've just tried the Win7 calculator and it's the same thing, so not a Win10 oddity.

Yes, even my calculator that I posted on this forum doesn't do that, I think ;)

My laptop now keeps asking for restart to install updates... Than cannot install updates. Don't mind Windows 10 like this. No chance of updates screw over :)

Also I have no issues with any CPU eating. Except my usage of what could be metro apps is just 1 outlook account and for social media if I go onto facebook or twitter once 1 month it is a lot.

Just wait for it until you got Windows 10 compatibility telemetry runs at every startup and eating 100% disk usage and lots of CPU.

Not a problem on desktop. I already manually disable it on tablet.

Windows 10 works fine without complaining lol

Windows 10 Enterprise can be downgraded to… Windows 95

While Microsoft is forcing consumers to upgrade their Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs to Windows 10 for free, the situation in the Enterprise market is different. For enterprise customers, backward compatibility matters the most and for them Microsoft provides a flexible downgrade offer. If a company finds Windows 10 not applicable for their production environment, they can downgrade Windows 10 to older versions, which are not accessible to regular users.

table-598x600.jpg

http://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-enterprise-can-be-downgraded-to-windows-95/

LOL at 95/98/NT. Notice they left out ME? :D

Anyway, Microsoft "Enterprise" OS licensing has always (well, since the moniker was brought into existence) allowed / entitled a downgrade to basically any prior OS. The callout to the mid 90's seems silly and extreme, but someone somewhere has their panties in a bunch about making sure 95 OSR2 stays legal! (yea, right.)

LOL at 95/98/NT. Notice they left out ME? :D

Anyway, Microsoft "Enterprise" OS licensing has always (well, since the moniker was brought into existence) allowed / entitled a downgrade to basically any prior OS. The callout to the mid 90's seems silly and extreme, but someone somewhere has their panties in a bunch about making sure 95 OSR2 stays legal! (yea, right.)

Windows ME was part of the Windows 98 family. Windows 98/98SE/ME are grouped as one. Hence SE the best version and ME what some consider the worst version were both not specifically mentioned.

Same goes for the various versions of NT up until Windows 2000.

BTW - I still know of some local companies running on Windows for Workgroups 3.11. :p

Regards,
SB

Btw when will Microsoft stop randomly changing settings to default in windows 10 updates?

Today suddenly I need to re-enable hibernate again. Dunno what other stuff has been changed to default.

Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back