Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the FF TSW shot of Dr Sid(?) proves anything, it's just how incredibly talented the Square crew was to create such a high quality character model with the tools and computers of that time (about 14-15 years ago!). He was the most impressive member of the cast, the rest of the characters weren't as convincing. Mind you, they did not even have subsurface scattering at that time! All the shading was non-PBR, shadows were rendered with shadow maps, and so on.

If the FF TSW shot of Dr Sid(?) proves anything, it's just how incredibly talented the Square crew was to create such a high quality character model with the tools and computers of that time (about 14-15 years ago!). He was the most impressive member of the cast, the rest of the characters weren't as convincing. Mind you, they did not even have subsurface scattering at that time! All the shading was non-PBR, shadows were rendered with shadow maps, and so on.

yes Cid was really standing out, sometimes looked almost real in some scenes.

Assassins Creed Unity has some nice moments in the real time cut scenes:

assassins_creed_unity_elise_1.jpg

ACU_2014_11_14_23_28_23_774_zps7e5c6a5d.jpg~original

arnos-actions-result-in-his-expulsion-fr.png

Let's just assume the rumors are true and the Xbox Scorpio has 6tflops, possibly a gpu that is fully dx 12 capable. Is it out of the realm of possibility it might be able to render those characters? What about Beowulf cg?
lw9OluUfC72V3jmUCkq7TXfaPfv.jpg

beowulf_2007_800x372_56585.jpg

film_beowulf.jpg

CP6611456.jpg

I'm talking strictly about character models.

It's more towards the Agni cry tech demo isn't it.

Agni demo was running on three Titan X GPUs iirc.

Agni demo was ported to directly run on PS4. They played it on a Sony pressconf.

As for three TitanX, that was a separate "crying & emotions" demo that ran in DX12 and in 4K.

The original Agni demo that was optimised to run on PS4 was originally running on a single GTX 680 in the PC world (in a pretty unoptimised fashion). They released a new, much updated version of the demo last year demoed on 4x Titan-X's. I'm not aware of that having been ported to PS4. It goes without saying though that if it had been, the quality drop would be tremendous.

Let's just assume the rumors are true and the Xbox Scorpio has 6tflops, possibly a gpu that is fully dx 12 capable. Is it out of the realm of possibility it might be able to render those characters? What about Beowulf cg?
I'm talking strictly about character models.

It's more towards the Agni cry tech demo isn't it.

If ram is enough, we could imagine having ingame characters to look like this

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2013-06-12-133ayai.png

The real time cutscenes in UC4 are pretty close to the King's Glaive CG if you ask me. The major difference I see is the strands of hair and lighting.
sWQ8CM.jpg

I think games like God of War or Detroit would have more potential to look even closer.

If ram is enough, we could imagine having ingame characters to look like this

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2013-06-12-133ayai.png

Wasn't that running on a retail PS4 while thrown together quickly for an event using their old PS3 engine and assets ? I imagine Quantic Dream will hit that target with a decent budget / dev time on Detroit.

In terms of the new consoles I think they will be extremely constrained by what PS4/XB1 can do. I expect most of the upgrades to be resolution and / or framerate with at times higher quality shadows and AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back