PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor from a friend working in retail and had a meeting with a Sony rep
No PS4 Neo this year, PSVR is the end of year product.

That would be a bummer if true.

Seems that this year is the right timing for a half step update. Next year, I think you are getting to the point that it's too close to 2018 when you could just call it a 5 year gen and launch a bigger upgrade as a PS5 on a much cheaper and mature process.

Of course, it's possible that these benchmarks are fake, or were taken with crappy immature drivers so the whole thing should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Or a 5 and a half year-old benchmark like 3dmark 2011 is so undemanding in terms of compute and geometry performance that the only thing it's measuring in > 2 TFLOPs cards is fillrate.

Or a 5 and a half year-old benchmark like 3dmark 2011 is so undemanding in terms of compute and geometry performance that the only thing it's measuring in > 2 TFLOPs cards is fillrate.

Looks pretty representative of most gameplay scenario's for the rest of the cards to me.

Seems that this year is the right timing for a half step update. Next year, I think you are getting to the point that it's too close to 2018 when you could just call it a 5 year gen and launch a bigger upgrade as a PS5 on a much cheaper and mature process.
but this also makes things more realistic. I would assume that MS is in step as well, they will wait out another year or so.

Maybe early next year the Sony rep told PS4 and PSVR are the end of 2016 product...

If Microsoft launch a Xbox Next this year, Sony will not wait one year for launch the PS4 Neo...

From what Sony knows of the next Xbox, it will be a very good product and as good as anything Phil Spencer has done.

The Sony rep just told the next Xbox product will be announced at E3 and be available just after E3 like 360 slim and it will follow the 180° politics Phil Spencer has done since he took the command.

He never said if it is Xbox One slim or Xbox Next... But it was a well hidden project...

Last edited:
If Sony know much of anything about the next Xbox then Microsoft have some serious issues with secrecy. But clearly not a "well hidden product" if Sony know, their low level reps know and are freely passing this on to all and sundry.

IMO, this 5 years gen looks completely unrealistic regarding that some proeminant developers have yet to release their first game into this generation or are just getting it out (like ND). Games development are too long to have a small 5 years generation, i don't see that happening.

IMO, this 5 years gen looks completely unrealistic regarding that some proeminant developers have yet to release their first game into this generation or are just getting it out (like ND). Games development are too long to have a small 5 years generation, i don't see that happening.
More likely, this will just further dis-incentivise games being built on non-scaling engines and middleware. And probably better project management :yep2:

Hell yes. I wanna see devs squeeze every last ounce of eye candy out of these machines before new hardware comes out. We are a few years into this gen, but it is still just starting.

Five year console system lifecycle is a myth dreamed up by people selling contracts in marketing not by engineering teams and definitely not by software development teams.

Hell yes. I wanna see devs squeeze every last ounce of eye candy out of these machines before new hardware comes out. We are a few years into this gen, but it is still just starting.
Yep, I am hoping we squeeze more out of the current generation as well.

We're not even at 3 years yet... so... yea, I hope for at least 5 to 6 years, but that's starting to look wishful :)

As long as PS4 Neo and PS4 play the same games, I hope they do commit to that plan, and then do a true hardware refresh with PS5-only games at the end of the 6 years (2 to 3 years after Neo I'm thinking).

But my primary hope with this whole system is that PS5 will be completely back-compatible with PS4 and PS4 Neo games. The system does seem to be indicating that is a possibility, so I hope Sony actually invests in that and makes it a reality.

After all, what good in this day and age does it do to make people start their console libraries all over again? I don't have to do this with Steam when I get a new PC.

I think Microsoft's thinking with Scorpio and merging Xbox with PC games platform is also a similar plan. I hope Sony thinks it is as good an idea, for my benefit as a PlayStation owner :)

Five year console system lifecycle is a myth dreamed up by people selling contracts in marketing not by engineering teams and definitely not by software development teams.

CPUs, GPUs, phones etc all get "next gen" models at much shorter cycles. I'm sure the software side is manageable as well. Windows is backwards compatible, windows based games can, depending on the game, run on hardware that is a decade or more apart.

I assume we'll have a couple of more x86 cpu amd/nvidia gpu based consoles so shouldn't it be possible to carry over some stuff instead of starting over from scratch like in the past? I think MS with UWP is already setting up themselves for exactly that.

http://kotaku.com/sources-no-mans-sky-delayed-1778797365

Rumor confirming what my friends told me working at retail. I don't think we will heard anything about PS4 NEO at E3.
Sony must know plenty more of what Scorpio really is from the sound of it, I wonder if their Neo strategy and specs will change at this point? The longer they wait, the less head start advantage they have and the more hype Scorpio would steal from it.

Sony must know plenty more of what Scorpio really is from the sound of it, I wonder if their Neo strategy and specs will change at this point? The longer they wait, the less head start advantage they have and the more hype Scorpio would steal from it.

From what he said to me Sony was a bit afraid about MS strategy and knowing nothing. They learn something about the Scorpio very late. They know MS had a project of a new console but they didn't know when and the power of the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back