Sony sells off Vegas Pro , Sound forge and others

this is the first time they sell their software right? all this time it was hardware. Athough you could argue the vaio sell was SW + HW.

hmm i wonder what's next?

Well that move caught me by surprise. Vegas Pro is pretty popular among pro-summers and some businesses. Although it is highly pirated I just assumed it was still profitable. I guess it wasn't.

Regards,
SB

Not surprised - Sony have been gradually losing everything outside of their core business and software development for PC software is as far outside as it gets. But yeah, Vegas is very popular with a lot of YouTubers.

Uh yeah. They are selling off all their PC assets. Why is anyone surprised by this one?

PC hardware (Vaio)
PC/Mac software (Vegas, Catalyst)
PC games (SOE)

There is no advantage in making editing software to go with pro cameras, there's practically no link. This is like saying Microsoft should make TVs to go with their Xbox division.

Film production have to deal with a mix of multiple cameras and brands, so any professional editing software must support everything. The only thing they need to maintain is a RAW converter, and only if they want to keep the format proprietary, and only if they don't want to allow input plugins.

Ironic that Sony still haven't sold off it's mobile division though... while it's Microsoft who just called it quit.

It's about consoles. This thread is absolutely about consoles. Right? :yep2:

Ironic that Sony still haven't sold off it's mobile division though... while it's Microsoft who just called it quit.
This just demonstrates that Sony want mobile as a part of their business. The time to get out was a couple of years back, when it could have been cheaper than restructuring. If mobile is still not profitable in a year or two, then I think they'll re-evaluate.

Uh yeah. They are selling off all their PC assets. Why is anyone surprised by this one?

PC hardware (Vaio)
PC/Mac software (Vegas, Catalyst)
PC games (SOE)

There is no advantage in making editing software to go with pro cameras, there's practically no link. This is like saying Microsoft should make TVs to go with their Xbox division.

Film production have to deal with a mix of multiple cameras and brands, so any professional editing software must support everything. The only thing they need to maintain is a RAW converter, and only if they want to keep the format proprietary, and only if they don't want to allow input plugins.

They aren't getting rid of ALL of their PC software, however. They are still keeping their professional video editing suites in house. Considering how well Vegas Pro synergized with their entire camera line (Pro-sumer to Professional), it's highly surprising. Now they only have an end to end solution for the professional sector. Then again Vegas Pro is highly pirated. And while you can pirate software you can't pirate hardware. So I can see where it is no longer a profitable venture for them even with the synergy with their hardware products.

Regards,
SB

Well that move caught me by surprise. Vegas Pro is pretty popular among pro-summers and some businesses. Although it is highly pirated I just assumed it was still profitable. I guess it wasn't.

Regards,
SB
yup its the only sony producted I use... used now I guess since another company owns it

It's about consoles. This thread is absolutely about consoles. Right? :yep2:
MS only sold off its nokia part. The team behind surface is still working on a phone.

MS only sold off its nokia part. The team behind surface is still working on a phone.
I'm not sure the word "only" applies when you're finalising the write off a $7Bn acquisition from three years ago and cutting lose 1,850 people. On the plus side, this was a bargain disaster compared to Google buying Motorola and no doubt Microsoft have learned a lot.

holy molly! http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware
FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS

why the heck softwares are so expensive.... on PC...

no wonder people move to iOS and Android even for productivity. Cheap video editor, cheap music studio software (laggy on android though, i heard theres no perceptible lag on iOS), cheap photo editor, cheap document writer/editor/office-thingy.

EDIT: on the other hand, Microsoft have lots of free awesome softwares and they kept them in the dark. Movie Maker, video capture, etc... they have lots lots lots of awesome free stuff but hidden behind microsoft download pages. Not available on windows store.

they also have archaic UI.... although the UX itself still nice and easy.

I'm not sure the word "only" applies when you're finalising the write off a $7Bn acquisition from three years ago and cutting lose 1,850 people. On the plus side, this was a bargain disaster compared to Google buying Motorola and no doubt Microsoft have learned a lot.

Was not the Motorola buy, mainly for patents? Yes, they might have payed way to much, but it might have been more costly to not have any phone related patents. IE they neutralized a battlefront.

Was not the Motorola buy, mainly for patents? Yes, they might have payed way to much, but it might have been more costly to not have any phone related patents. IE they neutralized a battlefront.
O/T but not really. Many of the useful patents were SEP which were under standards board RAND terms. The vast majority of the Motorola patent portfolio were not overly relavent to modern smartphones and patent negotations often come down to numbers of relavent patents - a bit like the nuclear arms race.

holy molly! http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware
FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS

no wonder people move to iOS and Android even for productivity. Cheap video editor, cheap music studio software (laggy on android though, i heard theres no perceptible lag on iOS), cheap photo editor, cheap document writer/editor/office-thingy.

EDIT: on the other hand, Microsoft have lots of free awesome softwares and they kept them in the dark. Movie Maker, video capture, etc... they have lots lots lots of awesome free stuff but hidden behind microsoft download pages. Not available on windows store.

they also have archaic UI.... although the UX itself still nice and easy.
Vegas is far more capable than your pissant Movie Maker or any Android or cheap iOS editor. $400 is a normal price for a piece of software like that. It's not meant for a soccer mom to throw her phone on her PC and join some clips together with a few blends.

no wonder people move to iOS and Android even for productivity
:confused:
I spent more than that about 6 months ago on some music production software, for my pc with 2 monitors 4k & 1920x1200 yet thats still not enuf screen realestate ideally, and you want me to move to a tablet! sure its possible (I used to record on a fostek 4 track tape) but its certainly not nice, plus a tablets CPU will most likely have audio dropout's all the time (even on my desktop i5 I sometimes have to replay a piece a music again because the CPU couldnt handle it)

That's why I said people, not limited to professionals.

Google photos auto movie is even good enough for many people.

ironically, PS4 video editor have more and more professional features. And it still doesn't have "auto movie" generator despite its on a gaming console. Despite it have a "theme" feature.

At least, add the "auto movie" feature like their Vaio Movie Editor... In addition to the current advanced features.

That's why I said people, not limited to professionals.

Google photos auto movie is even good enough for many people.

ironically, PS4 video editor have more and more professional features. And it still doesn't have "auto movie" generator despite its on a gaming console. Despite it have a "theme" feature.

At least, add the "auto movie" feature like their Vaio Movie Editor... In addition to the current advanced features.

That's the point, Vegas Pro isn't meant for the average consumer. It never was and never will be. It has features that most average consumers will never touch in a million years. It does things way better than most consumers need. It's meant for the prosumer and professional customers. Just like your average consumer doesn't need all the things that Photoshop can do, and can't afford Photoshop either.

It's like saying, "Damn, Catepillar Bulldozers are way overpriced for your average consumer. They'll do just fine with a shovel!"

Just in case you don't know what those are...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...bulldozer&qpvt=catepillar+bulldozer&FORM=IGRE

Yeah, don't be surprised if your average consumer has no interest in a product that is not meant for the average consumer.

Hell, you might as well complain about why your average consumer isn't buying the 1,200+ USD Sony Video cameras (which are excellent BTW!). :)

Regards,
SB

Back