Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

It could have been from the most recent stable build. If the graphics in the version shown were only about 50% finished, they must have the improved graphics assets pretty well done already but not yet implemented in presentable build.
Anyway, this seems to be more like GT6 HD, not the GT7 or even GT7 Prologue that should look much better.

Yes, this will be a smarter 'Prologue' ... this one will probably be the GT as a service release, but with the stronger focus on eSports.

Considering the release date, I also consider it likely to be a VR launch title. And that's definitely the part I am the most interested in! Depending on how good it is I might finally go for a racing seat, as now I don't necessarily need a screen in front of it. ;) It looks like SS5 track is back? (some people are mistaking it for a Tokyo track remake). Really remade beyond recognition, or maybe it's a new alternate route? Likely the lighting is real-time then (all the new reworked tracks tend to have day-night cycles and weather), though these effects probably aren't in the game yet. Have a hard time determining if the sky is an image or something more - probably not yet fully rendered. The new speedway looks pretty good too - better stadium around it than most sports games :p Must be pretty special to drive that in VR. You see a lot of sky in there - it's probably fake, but pretty convincing still.

Quite a lot of UI changes by the way. Maybe just for spectator mode for now (like driver top speed above the car etc.) but also probably partly inspired by changing the UI to support VR more?) Certainly like it better than the logo over my head in DriveClub replays.

Last edited:
I watched the in-game segments again on my projector when I got home yesterday (dark room, gamma 2.4), and it looks great to me. This is no uncharted 4, and not the best looking racer that some want it to be, but it's certainly a generational improvement over GT5 (which was three years after PS3 launch). Time of day will help a lot I guess.

The funny thing is that I still play GT6 on PS3 as my primary racer long after I got the platinum (and I have driveclub, project cars, and a PC with a gtx780, all three platforms compatible with my T300RS). I'm really hoping they won't drop the things that made GT unique among the increasing competition. GT-Sport is looking like a rushed "prologue" and that's much more worrying than some unimportant details about the graphics.

;) It looks like SS5 track is back? (some people are mistaking it for a Tokyo track remake). Really remade beyond recognition, or maybe it's a new alternate route? .
If you are talking about the track that has been streamed yesterday, I think that they have presented it as a brand new track named "Tokyo Expressway"

I think SSR should be a high priority rendering feature in any next gen car-game. It adds way too much to not have it. Drive club proves that point. Sure, there's 60fps and all that, but mirrors edge manages it... it sure can be squeezed in there somehow.

I'm not sure if we want to begin separating the graphics discussion with the physics/gameplay discussion here. Truthfully i won't get the opportunity to own this game, but from the footage I've seen so far, the wheel support and the physics seem to be in line with what (the guys driving it) appear to be used to.

That being said, that's really good to see, the multiplayer races looked a lot of fun. Something to consider, if the physics are top shelf, that's going to be sucking up a lot of CPU time.

Photomode looks gorgeous, but gameplay seems pretty disappointing, doubly so for me as I only have PS4 this gen and so can't rely on Forza (which has been going from strength to strength) for my sim fix.

And I'm confused, is this meant to be GT7 Prologue (rebranded as Sport) or is this a completely standalone title apart from the forthcoming GT7, or (as I have read elsewhere) this will actually be GT7 ?

Photomode looks gorgeous, but gameplay seems pretty disappointing, doubly so for me as I only have PS4 this gen and so can't rely on Forza (which has been going from strength to strength) for my sim fix.

And I'm confused, is this meant to be GT7 Prologue (rebranded as Sport) or is this a completely standalone title apart from the forthcoming GT7, or (as I have read elsewhere) this will actually be GT7 ?

Kaz said they could have called GTS Gran Turismo 7 and that's how he views it when he looking back on the title. Damage system and weather effects (though not dynamic) has also been confirmed so I think there's still some features they haven't revealed that you would expect in a mainline game.

Team VVV video about audio. It is not there and audio is better not Drive Club le el or Forza level but the tyre squeal is not as prominent, any work to do and I did watch only one minutes but the first turn was a relief...

The tyre squeal is a bit off but it is not thenough GT horrors... Comparison between GT6 sound and GT Sport sound.

http://www.isrtv.com/thrustmaster/first-look-thrustmaster-gran-turismo-sport-branded-wheel/
New thrustmaster high-end wheel at the GT-Sport event, It's for PS4 and it's branded GT. It looks like the true successor of the T500RS (I think the T300 is better in many aspects, but much less torque). I hope they will sell the base by itself and that it's compatible with the rest of the ecosystem. I already have the nice Alcantara 599 wheel, the T3PA-PRO pedals and the Shifter. I wouldn't mind upgrading just the base next year or so.

During the after party, I was able to chat with Kazunori-san about the wheel, he told me that he had input regarding the design and that the main characteristics were its linearity, it is very powerful with high torque, which leads me to speculate that it may be some type of DD wheel.

The buttons/knobs in the four corners look like 3-input per button (push, turn left, turn right). Maybe it means GT-Sport will support more mappable buttons than GT6. Their F1 Rim had 29 inputs for PC, but only supported 17 buttons on PS3, I don't know if it's an API issue on PS3 or something.

IMG-20160519-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20160519-WA0001.jpg

Super disappointing.

Thank you Sony for letting Motorstorm guys go, while keeping racing game devs that stem from the last century it seems.

Really? I think Polyphony is right on the money with Gran Turismo Sport. Ignore the graphics and the expectations for a moment here. Consider the following and let that sink in:

- competition / tie in with FIA online championship
- simulator
- real, well known tracks around the world

Sorry, but as nice as Drive Club was, Gran Turismo is aiming to be something entirely different. Fancy graphics at 30fps, unpredictable weather changes, fancy rain drops moving across the windshield... it all doesn't matter. Drive Club was entertainment, Gran Turismo Sport has the potential to be much more than that.

I might be bordering going offtopic here, but I've been literally glued to Trials Fusion for months now. Why? It's certainly not the graphics (although nice!), but it's the competitive nature that makes me come back to play Trials over and over again. The core experience is the skill set and competing against other Trial players around the world. In a game like Trials, you don't want i.e. changing weather conditions that change grip levels when trying to beat an opponents best-time. You want equal conditions. If we move back to cars and motorsports - why are Nordschleife times used to compare cars? Why did TopGear lap times become relevant to car fanatics all over the world? Because it gives us a reference to compare cars on the same track. In TopGear, the attractiveness was the assumption that it's always the same driver under usually similar conditions, the Nordschleife is regarded as a true testing ground for the same reason.

Now imagine a racing game built around this ethos - no more driving assistance, but a game that actually promotes this online competitiveness and even allows you to compete in an online championship. For these things, the priority must be foremost high constant framerate (you want high responsiveness) and an environment that offers equality for those participating. You don't want cars with hundredths of tuning parts and customization to the finest details. Changeable weather conditions, day/night, dry/wet conditions - it's all nice, but for a game designed with a competitive nature in mind, IMO not important in the slightest. Even damage is not relevant. It's all about showing off your ability to drive and not waste resources on damage that for the most part is usually never realistic anyway.

Motorsports is exciting. It's doesn't work when you pit different cars against each other - you either want a spec series (equal machinery) or some other way to allow similar cars to compete with each other under a fair championship. If Polyphony does it right, I think they could be on to a winner here. And most importantly, if the base game is good, it can grow and evolve into something much larger. I do track days with my car and from experience, actually tracking a car is very expensive. This game might just promote and allow this kind of motorsports in a virtual way without the costs and risk. But for that to work, the complexity must decrease in the sense that you want a few spec championships where drivers don't compete by having better cars, but by being the 'better' more skilled driver in equal machinery.

GTSport looks much better than GT6, and menus are slick and fast.

Looks awesome, love the lighting. I love their restraint in their art design, they always go for natural look in GT, really appreciate that in a sim-type game.

Definitely room for improvement, but lighting looks superb.

Also a PlayStation does not become a true PlayStation until you can play a GT game on it ^^

Woahhh dem interiors O.O

F5Rb.jpg

E5Rb.jpg

B5Rb.jpg

95Rb.jpg

Dat's nice, very nice. Looks even more detailed than DriveClub... that's pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Back