Game Disappointments in the Graphics Realm

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Sure the title is a little hyperbolic, but oh well.

Since we're so accustomed on making "It's The Best Looking Game" threads, why-not the opposite?

Which games IYHO, have fallen from eye-candy grace?

I forgot to look, was having too much fun with the gameplay. Some areas do look pretty good, others are headed towards to a space between Skyrim and Oblivion. o_O

Fallout 4.
The game's visuals are embarrassing compared to Skyrim with just a handful of mods.

Fallout 4.

The game's visuals are embarrassing compared to Fallout 4 with a handful of mods. :p

Anything is going to be embarrassing, in general, to the same game when modded. Crysis was embarrassing compared to Crysis with mods even though it was still head and shoulders above anything else for quite a few years in stock form.

Now Fallout 4 being disappointing because it doesn't compare well on its own compared to other games this generation (like The Witcher 3 which is also an open world game) is a much more meaningful statement.

Regards,
SB

It was pretty disappointing. I thought the lighting and colour grading was really nice, and the road textures actually looked solid, car models were good, but the environments did not look too far beyond what was already offered in GT6. I'll wait to see more, but it wasn't a good first impression. Compressed video doesn't help, but some weaknesses still even show through that.

Does seem like the GT6 engine simply ported to PS4 though, probably... I noticed even some really bad shadow resolution at some points when up close to the cars or when multiple cars were on screen... I took a couple of screens while watching the Twitch stream yesterday.

ruI4z9F.png

9yC6pcj.png

Best thing in the video I think was the car models, the road textures, and the HDR (looked very good going between tunnels in the Tokyo level), but everything else did not look "PS4" enough imo. I don't want to be in a world where GT is not the best looking racing game around, or at least not near the top lol :p

Nice cars are par for the course these days. The above screenshot isn't even 1080p and sporting last-gen scenery. I think the assets are lifted - they're not event baked with commodity tools which these days can do a far better job.

It's not PD's fault though; their budget was given to ND to blow on UC4!

This looks quite different imho, much better than the PS3 game for sure.

This track seems a remake of SS5

A bit flat time of day I'm guessing, much will depend on how dynamic the sky is.

I think there is a difference between good and excellent car models though. I find DriveClub's car models are the most detailed and highest poly. I would like to see how GT Sport compares here, but it's hard to tell from these lower quality videos and captures.

Self shadowing on the cars certainly seems improved, lokoing at the Brands Hatch footage. Brand's hatch footage also seems to have proper shadows on the trees? If all this is real-time lighting, it's very promising. And then I wonder how much of that they can keep going in VR.

Man I really like how it looks.

Have they been showing just the multiplayer gameplay? Would that explain the slightly dodgy graphics and physics.
Is there any footage that is from the single player modes?

Have they been showing just the multiplayer gameplay? Would that explain the slightly dodgy graphics and physics.
Is there any footage that is from the single player modes?

Multiplayer shouldn't be different than single player for a racing game. Unless there's a drastic difference in number of cars on track in single player versus multi-player or one is 30 fps while the other is 60 fps. And a 30 fps racer? /shudder.

Multi-player also has the benefit of not having to worry about opponent AI eating CPU cycles or at least less of them depending on whether there's any computer AI controlled cars added to multi-player races.

Regards,
SB

Back