Nintendo GOing Forward.

I'm surprised they kept making WiiU consoles after they had a glut of millions upon millions unsold consoles.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/22/11284972/nintendo-ending-wii-u-production-2016

According to Nikkei's report, Nintendo has already stopped manufacturing certain Wii U accessories. The outlet, which has a good record of reporting on Nintendo's unannounced plans, reports that while Wii U hardware is being discontinued, a launch of the company's next platform — codenamed NX — is not guaranteed this year.

I'm surprised they kept making WiiU consoles after they had a glut of millions upon millions unsold consoles.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/22/11284972/nintendo-ending-wii-u-production-2016

According to Nikkei's report, Nintendo has already stopped manufacturing certain Wii U accessories. The outlet, which has a good record of reporting on Nintendo's unannounced plans, reports that while Wii U hardware is being discontinued, a launch of the company's next platform — codenamed NX — is not guaranteed this year.

When they dump the remaining stock early in 2017 it'll be time to buy. With so few sold, and such an unusual console, selling those will be my pension in decades to come!

Too bad the lithium batteries in the wuublet will die inside of ten years at best. These latest consoles all have very short shelf-lives compared to their cousins in the distant past. My NES is still working, 30 years later... Only problem is you need a RF or composite input to see the screen picture, so TVs better retain those old connections or it's game over! :)

Too bad the lithium batteries in the wuublet will die inside of ten years at best. These latest consoles all have very short shelf-lives compared to their cousins in the distant past. My NES is still working, 30 years later... Only problem is you need a RF or composite input to see the screen picture, so TVs better retain those old connections or it's game over! :)

I've had some LION batteries that are still in use after the best part of 15 years. Granted, that's not in high drain situations and they're on rotation (AAs for pads and mice). But that's given me another idea: my side business selling custom lions to Wuublet users will supplement my retro pension nicely!

Old consoles are tough as hell. I regret ditching my NES (with zapper) for pennies. There are RGB mods for NES IIRC, and with traces as phat as 80's console had it's probably not difficult to do!

One of the sad things about Nintendo is that their PAL "virtual console" support is garbage. 3rd party emulators or a modded up console are far better ways to experience their old wares.

They also moved to sell all but 10% of their controlling interest in the Seattle Mariners MLB team. Nintendo company profit levels are down 60%. I think this team sale is a move to have operating capitol to keep themselves a float. No idea how long it will keep them alive if the NX doesnt even hit at Xbox One level of performance.

They need new blood to replace the executives from the top floors. Both hardware and software floors. Miyamoto era is definitely over.

They need to hire a expensive, young and competent tech director and put him at the head of a new technical department in order to keep up with software technology and teach their own teams. Because they need it.

And they still seriously need one and only one unified and simple online account. Not 3! o_O

Outch, that really put thing into perspective, especially Nintendo handheld operation which are often qualified of doing well :(

They still made a 207 million Pound profit. PSN making more money isn't such a big surprise since the PS4 is doing pretty well and PSN is much more integrated with Sony's devices than Nintendo did with the Wuu and 3DS.

Something that will make my previous post more sound. Last year Edge interviewed the development team of Splatoon, and what they said about Miyamoto didn't surprise me one bit, I even expected it. Miyamoto definitely needs to leave Nintendo once and for all:

http://www.gamesradar.com/miyamoto-didnt-splatoon-originally-2/

Splatoon’s development team reveals that Nintendo boss Shigeru Miyamoto wasn’t always keen on the game...And during this period, we were being scolded by Mr Miyamoto all the time....He was saying, ‘I don’t understand. What do you want to do? There’s no appeal to this game'...”

Splatoon is only the most successful and innovative (in-house) Nintendo game since maybe 2 generations of Nintendo consoles. Miyamoto is definitely out of touch with the modern gaming world.

It seems the Splatoon team itself wasn't sure about what it was doing, if you read the snippets...

I'm pretty sure you can easily replace the WUU Pad's battery. actually I think I've replaced it with a higher capacity one.

I'm pretty sure you can easily replace the WUU Pad's battery.
Undoubtedly, but as it is not a standardized battery you're reliant on someone making custom replacement packs, which will cost a premium. Or you have to play it corded, attached to the charging brick constantly...

I don't know if this has been answered or not, or even if I've asked this already. I'd search but I'm on my cell phone, if I've asked this already or a similar question has been posted feel free to ignore it.

Is there any truth to this idea that Nintendo can operate for 10 years or more in their current state without going under ? Or are is that just the wishful thinking of their hardcore fans ?

And if it is just wishful thinking does that say whay position Nintendo is in and how important NX is to them remaining in the console business ?

Is there any truth to this idea that Nintendo can operate for 10 years or more in their current state without going under ?
It might be more than 10 years, Ninty has a LOT of cash in the bank. There's no way their stock owners would allow the company to burn itself out like that though, they'd have the corporate heads ousted long before that happens.

I don't know if this has been answered or not, or even if I've asked this already. I'd search but I'm on my cell phone, if I've asked this already or a similar question has been posted feel free to ignore it.

Is there any truth to this idea that Nintendo can operate for 10 years or more in their current state without going under ? Or are is that just the wishful thinking of their hardcore fans ?

And if it is just wishful thinking does that say whay position Nintendo is in and how important NX is to them remaining in the console business ?
Nintendo is profitable, and has a sizeable pile of cash. If the console business turns sour, they'll simply transition to mobile platforms. Mobile is already generating more revenue than consoles, and having Nintendo joining and strengthening that momentum would probably be a good move for them.
However it may still be profitable in the future to act as a platform holder, and they are giving it another go with NX.
They are in no risk of going under whatsoever.

Nintendo's biggest problem is their management. They need to adjust that before they can have an honest chance of being successful.

Perhaps the shareholders and board members realize part of their problem is the current management and is looking to address those issues. Or perhaps it's all lip-service, depending on who they appoint to the new advisory committee.

From: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/nintendo-may-start-selling-computer-software/

Nintendo's most recent fiscal-year disclosure made headlines for announcing a release window for the new "Nintendo NX" console and yet another Zelda game delay, but it also included news of serious corporate restructuring. The short version: Nintendo will soon involve a supervisory committee in making top-level executive decisions.

The company has begun rolling out more details about how that restructuring will work, and in doing so, Nintendo's Japanese arm has tipped its hand about possible new business plans. A Tuesday announcement included the company's amended articles of incorporation, expected to be approved by shareholders this June, and it included three new entries in its "business engagement" list: restaurants, medical and health devices, and "computer software."

Also worth noting: Nintendo's current engaged businesses include relatively dormant entries such as "office equipment and tools" and "sporting equipment," presumably from the Japanese company's hundred-plus years of existence (along with its genesis as a playing-cards company). Announcing more concepts does not necessarily guarantee that we'll ever see products like sleep sensors or businesses like Funky Kong's Surf 'N Turf Shack—but it certainly sets the table for their eventual existence.

A Tuesday announcement included the company's amended articles of incorporation, expected to be approved by shareholders this June, and it included three new entries in its "business engagement" list: restaurants, medical and health devices, and "computer software."

Now we are talkin!

wait, what?

Restaurants could be something as generic as letting mcdonalds bundle mario figurines with happy meals.
Medical/health plans have been mentioned for over 2 years.
As for computer software.. Miitomo for android and an eventual Windows equivalent are definitely considered "computer software". That and the rumored NX companion apps.

Back