Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the music kicked a lot of ass.
Finished the game yesterday. What a lovely ride. I spent a lot of time hunting for secrets, so it took me a considerable amount of time to get through. I will say that the much more straight forward level designs during the final quarter of the game fall ever so slightly short when held against the intricately crafted and wonderfully connected maps from earlier in the game, but as the actual gameplay is never anything less than thrilling, I can definitely live with that. Really digging the classic boss battles too: old-school wars of attrition which are won through quick reflexes and pattern recognition.

Super interested to learn about the tech, LOTS of questions. Also, quite a unique looking game; even though it usually feels like the characters are action figures and the lighting isn't even trying to be realistic.

It's just so smoooooth! I want to get this but I fear I'll put it down after a little while like I did with Doom 3, which, as pretty as it was, bored me to oblivion.

I really like the game. Basically played it all week-end. Graphics are slick, 60 fps feel great and gameplay is fun.
I love how they were trying to make levels non linear, and hide secrets all around. They need to do that more.
I miss weapon reloading though, it brings a small tactic layer and I just love the sounds and animations
Oh and I think I don't want to play another "remote scientific base is invaded by alien/demons/zombies" anymore.
I give this one a pass as it seems to be a reboot, but next time open a portal to the great old ones, bring back hell, put doom guy in the middle and call it Doom Wars :D
I always wondered, what does a chainsaw do in Mars?

It's just so smoooooth! I want to get this but I fear I'll put it down after a little while like I did with Doom 3, which, as pretty as it was, bored me to oblivion.
Don't worry it is nothing like Doom 3. I really wanted to like Doom 3 but like you it just bored me, that is not what I was expecting from a Doom game. I tried to complete it about 4 or 5 times over the years and never made it any further than my first attempt.

This however is amazing, really good fun and lots of action, unless you need to spend time before you leave a level trying to find all the secret that is.

play the game, they have a short explanation in it :mrgreen:
(not a smart one, but still...an explanation)

although strictly forbidden on the station, the explanation in the weapon note is that apparently there must be an enthusiast at the station who smuggled it in

play the game, they have a short explanation in it :mrgreen:

although strictly forbidden on the station, the explanation in the weapon note is that apparently there must be an enthusiast at the station who smuggled it in

Apparently,
someone also conveniently distributed a lot of fuel cans for the saw, all around the research base; and even sent some cans through the portal to Hell. Well either that, or the demons really like petrol.

I loved Doom 3 for the horror aesthetic ! This one doesn't seem to be worried about horror though, just about the thrill of action.
Will get it someday, right now Battleborn is just too much mindless fun for me to even go back to my playthroughs of Dark Souls 3. Will get to Doom after probably No man's Sky.

Last edited:

Like I implied...they could have had a forest level...after all even in the most basic old science documentaries the only way a proper settlement in Mars or the Moon or even a standard "large Space Station" would work is if you have large scale sections of plant species...plant life, trees and some man made rivers and lakes...

It's ok that the videogame has to have some "fun factor or throwbacks" but their Id Tech is supposed to be much more advanced now...

Without these explanations...or even a proper name for bland avatar character the game has a danger of degenerating into a dumb cartoony shooter that will be quickly forgotten once another dev makes such a game... Dead Space was kinda there.

It's weird to have all this huge military personnel and weapons all over the place even if it was somehow known that a possible dimensional invasion could happen.

It sucks too that the enemy is mindless...the old leaked Doom 3 leaked alpha had so much potential with possessed humans having bits of dialogue.

I'm gonna hold off on getting this until all the glowing nostalgia reviews wear off and replay value starts sinking in... old Doom 3 MP sucked but at least the single player campaign was ok though severely flawed

Without these explanations...or even a proper name for bland avatar character the game has a danger of degenerating into a dumb cartoony shooter that will be quickly forgotten once another dev makes such a game... Dead Space was kinda there.

Thing is that this dumb cartoony shooter is helluva smart with its wonderfully interlocking gameplay systems. From the way the glory kills keep the pace going to the way weapons compliment each other. From the runes you can use to tailor the game to your needs to the exploration that actually demands very keen observation from the player for once - It's an incredibly tight package. And while the surface level story telling is your usual follow-the-macguffin plot leading you from one encounter to the next, the game does some fairly neat things to breath some life into the Doom Guy himself. And it does it all via some wonderful first person animations. It's not full of light-hearted banter, but it's got the interactive parts down like few other games. Quite frankly, I don't think many devs have the skills to craft such a game now these days. That and/or a publisher who'd let them do it in the first place.

Mobygames' credit matchup system shows some interesting stats on who worked on this game.

(https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/doom___/credits)
Rage, a group of 152 people
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a group of 138 people
DOOM³: BFG Edition, a group of 138 people
Dishonored, a group of 138 people
Hunted: The Demon's Forge, a group of 84 people
Brink, a group of 81 people
Fallout: New Vegas, a group of 72 people
DOOM II, a group of 60 people (Xbox 360 port)
Fallout 3, a group of 51 people
WET, a group of 50 people
Halo 4, a group of 49 people
Dick Marcinko: Rogue Warrior, a group of 48 people
Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall, a group of 45 people
Call of Duty: Ghosts, a group of 35 people
Star Wars: The Old Republic, a group of 32 people
Assassin's Creed III, a group of 30 people
Star Trek: Conquest, a group of 30 people
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, a group of 28 people
Syndicate, a group of 28 people
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, a group of 28 people
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Collector's Edition), a group of 26 people
Far Cry 3, a group of 25 people
Call of Duty: Black Ops, a group of 23 people
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, a group of 21 people
The Darkness, a group of 21 people

Last edited:
Those stats probably include the following:
- Bethesda production team, localization Q&A etc.
- contractors like Certain Affinity (?) who 'only' worked on the multiplayer, outsource asset studios etc.

As far as RAGE and Doom 3 there was major 3d engine development before design of levels and Doom 3 had to be reworked according to fixing what they thought was problematic and major flaws of the original in gameplay mechanics and bugs.

Thing is that this dumb cartoony shooter is helluva smart with its wonderfully interlocking gameplay systems. From the way the glory kills keep the pace going to the way weapons compliment each other. From the runes you can use to tailor the game to your needs to the exploration that actually demands very keen observation from the player for once - It's an incredibly tight package. And while the surface level story telling is your usual follow-the-macguffin plot leading you from one encounter to the next, the game does some fairly neat things to breath some life into the Doom Guy himself. And it does it all via some wonderful first person animations. It's not full of light-hearted banter, but it's got the interactive parts down like few other games. Quite frankly, I don't think many devs have the skills to craft such a game now these days. That and/or a publisher who'd let them do it in the first place.

"First person animations" are a design choice that honestly has been done to death and screams generic.

It bothers me that despite all the advancements in avatar character creation a lot of games specially FPSs still suffer from lacking a character creation and customization feature for a faceless non voiced, silent character.

Doom 3 could get away with it...although they really needed some more cinematic storytelling which could have benefited the game. But this Doom has the benefit of newer engine and hardware...there should have been at least a way to make a custom character and not turn into a mute Master Chief...or "Doom guy" but hopefully they can do something like that next game.

Cinematic scenes in trailers that recreated some of the iconic box cover art style screamed a lot of potential...oh well.

As far as developer skill...this may be an opinion because I enjoyed Doom 3 and saw the potential back then but old console hardware with 64MB and 256MB had levels with sophisticated A.I. enemies and vehicles plus your own vehicle and A.I. buddy taking down that "loner one man army" cliché.

Playing RAGE recently I got the impression that they were finally gonna have something like that instead of joke survivors from Doom 3 that end up being pointlessly saved attempted...because by the time you get there the script calls for them to die...that's an even worse problem for a Hell on Earth scenario as it would just make the game pointless...not like you have to save the day but at least have some substance...not everyone will have early 90s nostalgia.

But I don't wanna be too critical...I'm gathered what the game was about over the weekend and will get it later.

Doom 3 was a day one purchase back when I got it in 2004...this...not so much.

Yeah this game is basically a Hard Reset or Shadow Warrior reboot of Doom. You could also safely call it a modernized Doom classic. It's fast paced simplicity with story added for giving the setting a little depth and character. It also tries to be slick and cool and does it pretty well.

Doom3 wanted to be like System Shock 2. It did it OK but wore thin as the long campaign became too repetitive and just got tiresome. Monster closets everywhere eh.

Apparently most people really dig Turbo Doom Reboot. I enjoy it to a degree but yeah it's shallow and not really much more than a typical very basic shooter. I think multiplayer shooter fans really dig the adoption of that style of play for Doom.

Last edited:
It's honestly hard to really express how well they've put everything together, though @Sigfried1977 definitely mirrors my thoughts on the game. They've gone through each aspect and almost perfected it to put together a game that whilst not that deep in any way, does what it does better than anything similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back