Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how exactly would you present the vast infinite of Davros's installation? I dont think there is anyone that makes any software out there that would make it presentable.

The old start menu at least allowed the use of folders to tidy things up. That's a good start.

I'm looking for a system tool. I know the name of the shortcut in english, but I can't remember the name of the exe itself (it's some stupid 8-character abbreviation harkening back to the FAT abomination of a file system), or the name of the shortcut in Swedish.

In win7 and previous, I could track down the name of the tool by just looking in the relevant folder. In Win8 or 10, the file will be lost in a sea of other applications. Super-fucking-dumb design. God, if I knew who's responsible for this shitty UI design and had the opportunity to give them a good asskicking...

So much time wasted. So much frustration. So much shittyness.

IMO no modern power user would actually go fishing through folders, trees or a mass of tiles anyway. Win+[start typing name of app/game/doc/picture/whatever]

God, if I knew who's responsible for this shitty UI design and had the opportunity to give them a good asskicking...
Dont blame god, he runs a different operating system
Ubuntu Christian Edition
http://ubuntuce.com

and just to be balanced
Ubuntu Satanic Edition
(Ubuntu SE is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. It brings together the best free software and free metal music on one CD.)
http://ubuntusatanic.org/news/about/

Last edited:
quick test
from memory type a list of every picture on your pc or every program ect

WinKey+E, navigate to My Pictures.
WinKey+E, navigate to Games

Come on, dont be such a sod. You know thats what power user do.

IMO no modern power user would actually go fishing through folders, trees or a mass of tiles anyway. Win+[start typing name of app/game/doc/picture/whatever]
Like I explained in the post literally right above yours, typing the name doesn't work if you don't know it.

@Shifty Geezer
I do that sometimes. HAVE to do it now, since the new start menu only shows executables, not manuals, bat files, uninstall scripts or other stuff commonly found in the old start menu folder.

Like I explained in the post literally right above yours, typing the name doesn't work if you don't know it.
You said you knew the name of the shortcut, that's enough isn't it? Of course if you don't know what you're looking for at all then yes you're going to have to start browsing through start app menu or folder trees. But that should be a rare occurrence hopefully.

Personally I rarely have more than 8-10 games installed at any one time, and probably the same amount of applications. Games I tend to have a folder with shortcuts which I attach to my taskbar so I can simply click the arrow next to the "Games" label and select the game I want from the list. Applications I use are always pinned to the taskbar.

Am I the only Windows user still navigating folders through Explorer?
Not at all, it's still required in circumstances. But common tasks that require going into a folder is often just going into your documents, downloads, pictures maybe. To access those I either r-click the explorer folder icon on the taskbar or Win+E and select on left. I add common locations (like my NAS folders) to the quick access area under file explorer along with documents, pictures etc.

You said you knew the name of the shortcut, that's enough isn't it?
If I know the english shortcut name that won't help me with my swedish windows. The shortcut has a different name there, and you find nothing if you search for the english name (because windows doesn't care to try educated guesses at what you want to find... :()

I used to run english windows for just this very reason (also, many technical terms translated into swedish sound exceedingly dumb and/or overcomplicated), but as I got older I got fed up with the number of programs installing swedish localization despite what I'd set my windows language as, so to aid consistency I made the switch. It does trip me up still though, at times.

oh wow, yeah I've never had to deal with cross-language situations so I honestly couldn't make any arguments there. I could kinda fathom the pain that must be though.

This.

He's right tho, the win8 start screen was bullshit, and a nightmare to navigate for someone with a lot of programs installed. My steam library is about 150 or so titles, I dunno, and the start screen was nothing but a sea of randomly colored buttons. Very hard to get an overlook of.

Of course, the win10 start "menu" is even worse, because it, just like the start screen, does not hierarchically sort your stuff. It just dumps everything out on the floor in a big pile.

There's a reason pro lego builders for example do not keep all of their bricks in one big box. MS obviously does not understand this, for whatever godfucking unbelievable reason...

However, for all my most actively used programs, the start screen is far superior to the start menu as it presents all or virtually all of them on one screen. IE - 1 click and program is launched. This compared to the nested folder nightmare of the old Windows start menu. It's far more intuitive and easy to organize and presents everything that I frequently use at a glance. I can easily have at least 200 apps displayed while still having them divided into 8 or more different categories on one page on my desktop machine. Compare that to the horribly anemic start menu where you either must do a lot of scrolling or need to burrow through numerous nested folders.

That said, I don't need 200 apps on my start screen. I have only about 100 apps displayed in 8 categories. Finding one is incredibly easy and as I mentioned a single click away.

For everything else, typing out 2-3 letters is generally enough to find it and easily start it. In Vista and Win7, this was practically the only way I ever launched a program as the start menu was complete and utter shite.

Regards,
SB

It's far more intuitive and easy to organize and presents everything that I frequently use at a glance.
And then you reinstall your PC and have to do all that shit-ton of work all over again. No thank you, that single advantage is not worth the multitude of disadvantages - including the fact you have to snap and sort/categorize stuff manually to the start screen.

You could snap frequently used programs to the old start screen too. Not 200 perhaps, but at least a half-dozen fit. Then you can have some more snapped on the taskbar. When you get past a dozen frequently used programs, you probably find that the next few likely aren't used all that frequently in reality, and by the time you hit 200... Jesus, do you ever start that 200th program? :devilish:

I log in on my Desktops using my Microsoft account, which gives me most of my settings automatically wherever I log in. So when I use it to log in on my wife's laptop for instance I even get the same Windows background picture of my son, get the same recent documents etc

Indeed, with Chrome user profiles and Windows 8/10 Microsoft accounts, there's really no such thing as having to setup your bookmarks/taskbar/layout etc. I can re-format WIndows 10, login with my MS account linked to my Google Apps email to get my setup back immediately, then login to my Chrome profile to have all my bookmarks, bookmark bar, browsing history, saved stuff, cookies etc. all back.

And then you reinstall your PC and have to do all that shit-ton of work all over again. No thank you, that single advantage is not worth the multitude of disadvantages - including the fact you have to snap and sort/categorize stuff manually to the start screen.

You could snap frequently used programs to the old start screen too. Not 200 perhaps, but at least a half-dozen fit. Then you can have some more snapped on the taskbar. When you get past a dozen frequently used programs, you probably find that the next few likely aren't used all that frequently in reality, and by the time you hit 200... Jesus, do you ever start that 200th program? :devilish:

As other's have mentioned that's not an issue.

And for me, I haven't had to re-install Windows since Vista came out (over 9 years ago) so that's a non-issue even if it had been an issue, which it isn't.

Regards,
SB

As other's have mentioned that's not an issue.
What is not an issue? That manually configuring 100 or 200 icons on the win8 start screen was a monumental fiddly task? Well, it is. So it is in fact an issue.

And for me, I haven't had to re-install Windows since Vista came out (over 9 years ago) so that's a non-issue even if it had been an issue, which it isn't.
Well you don't represent all of humanity now, do you? That you haven't reinstalled for nine years is actually completely irrelevant as far as this discussion is concerned. Also: ludicrous, by the way, but that's a different discussion...

What is not an issue? That manually configuring 100 or 200 icons on the win8 start screen was a monumental fiddly task? Well, it is. So it is in fact an issue.

And that's somehow more of a monumental and fiddly task than managing and creating hundreds of folders and sub folder for thousands (as you put it) applications?

Really? For Windows 8 Start screen this is all I did.
  1. Create a column group for specific application categories. A total of 8 in my case.
  2. I type in the first 2-3 letters of an application and drag it into the category.
  3. For anything that isn't frequently used, Win + first letters of program name.
  4. If you ever have to re-install Windows for whatever reasons. Just log into your Windows account.
Versus Start menus
  1. Create many many folders. Create sub folders within those folders. Potentially create more sub folders within the sub folders.
  2. Find the application. VERY carefully drag the application into the applicable folder, because god forbid if you stray out of the menu system the whole expanding menu display closes and you have to start again. Or use windows explorer to drag your application into the folder or sub folder.
  3. Repeat ad nauseum for every single application in every single #$%@ing folder and sub folder.
  4. If you have to reinstall Windows (relatively common for WinXP) then be prepared to do it all over again.
  5. Oh and if you uninstall a program after moving everything into a custom folder/sub folder. Remember where that was because you'll have to go in and manually delete it.
  6. Say fuck it, and don't bother and only type in the name of the application once Vista comes out because the start menu is shite.
Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back