Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another 'Windows 10 experience' :rolleyes: - watching Netflix last night, I get a notification. "I'll just see what that is," thinking it's something important, as it was deemed necessary to notify over my film. It was something about a new automatically generated album made from recent photos (a couple of weeks old)! I press the notification and get to see some photos on the device. Why?! Why make an album in the background and then bother me about it when I'm in the middle of something else I'm actually interested in? Who would ever benefit from such a feature?

Netflix was running in Full Screen mode. Isn't that the same as a game type full-screen? Or is it a full-screen window where a game take possession of the display and can change its res?

yeah. usually apps runs in non-exclusive fullscreen. There's almost no app running in exclusive fullscreen. a few like MPC-HC can be forced to run in exclusive fullscreen.

i think its... borderless fullscreen?

The app itself (Netflix, in this case) needs to make an API call which basically puts the rest of the Windows ecosystem into "Quiet Hours." This is the action which suppresses notifications and the like, and is something an app CAN do if properly coded.

So, a simple miss on Netflix's part there. This is relevant to UWP apps; traditional DX "full screen" apps like games aren't susceptible to the message overlay, but you may still get the notification sound in the background.

How do you achieve 24fps on non-exclusive? Pull-down? Or is everything broadcast at 60?

The app itself (Netflix, in this case) needs to make an API call which basically puts the rest of the Windows ecosystem into "Quiet Hours." This is the action which suppresses notifications and the like, and is something an app CAN do if properly coded.

So, a simple miss on Netflix's part there. This is relevant to UWP apps; traditional DX "full screen" apps like games aren't susceptible to the message overlay, but you may still get the notification sound in the background.
The notification could be blocked, sure, but what the heck is the creation of an album all about? Why is Windows poking about in my photos to make albums, and what else is it doing by default? It's just odd behaviour to automate. Android does it when you take photos, offering to create an album when you upload or somesuch. But deciding two weeks after the fact to make an album and tell me about it? That's odd. Like, stalker odd. I've moved on. I don't need Windows to keep bringing up the past, trying to tie me down to old times.

More seriously, the experience is just some more 'huh?'. There stil lots of that with Win 10. My SP4 keeps insisting Airplane mode is on when it isn't. I have Airplane, Wifi and BT all lit, and Wifi and BT work.

Isn't a steering wheel fundamentally indistinguishable from a joystick anyhow? If game supports analog pads, I don't see how it could not support a steering wheel.

you can tell the game you have a pad but not a wheel that leads to the following problems
with a 360 controller both triggers share a single axis
on a wheel accelerator and brake are separate axis
most wheels will let you bind both pedals to a single axis but then you get problems with how pads (newer pads support xinput) and wheels (support direct input) handle the axis
DirectInput device axes are centered when there is no user interaction with the device
The Xbox 360 controller was designed to register minimum value, not center, when the triggers are not being held.
gamepads only support vibration not forcefeedback
steering axis on a pad is limited to 180 degrees not 900 degrees like a lot of wheels and real cars

There are no racecar simulators with 900 degree inputs tho, so this is not a problem. Or maybe you were looking for a completely authentic Spinwheels experience...? :LOL:

Not with you, every pc racing game that supports direct input supports 900 degrees
What I meant is, there is no racecar simulator on PC where you spin the wheel of the car 2 1/2 revolutions when going into a chicane. You'd have to drive at a walking pace to have time to turn the wheel that far for each turn. :p

Thats going to be truly awful for anyone with several hundred programs installed
Davros, no one should ever design an OS or any kind of application/game management for someone like you. You're a dust particle in a corner of a room of windows users.

Last edited:
Davros, no one should ever design an OS or any kind of application/game management for someone like you. You're a dust particle in a corner of a room of windows users.
He's right tho, the win8 start screen was bullshit, and a nightmare to navigate for someone with a lot of programs installed. My steam library is about 150 or so titles, I dunno, and the start screen was nothing but a sea of randomly colored buttons. Very hard to get an overlook of.

Of course, the win10 start "menu" is even worse, because it, just like the start screen, does not hierarchically sort your stuff. It just dumps everything out on the floor in a big pile.

There's a reason pro lego builders for example do not keep all of their bricks in one big box. MS obviously does not understand this, for whatever godfucking unbelievable reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back