Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly that's all they really need to do. AA is already the best i've seen this generation, maybe higher AF here and there? And that's that. But would that be worth getting a new PS4 for that? maybe.....

They could certainly do better with AA, Order's AA is better but that game uses proper MSAA mixed with TAA.
Doom is fantastic too with its TSSAA.

I think Doom is the current benchmark for 60FPS game on consoles, especially PS4 with its mostly 1080P/60FPS performance at that high quality visuals and number of characters. I would never have expected a game with this level of performance on consoles to have such high quality motion blur, SSR, Bokeh DoF, GPU particles all used liberally with fairly large areas and number of enemies.

The technical gap between PS4/XB1.

According to DF, Doom is basically a 1080p game on PS4 while it can drop to almost 720p on XB1...
So by what you've written here PS4 is always 1080p and Xbox is 720p therefore the gap never closed it widened?

So by what you've written here PS4 is always 1080p and Xbox is 720p therefore the gap never closed it widened?

According to DF, the difference can be as high as almost 100% more pixels for the PS4 version. Something we never saw since Ground Zeroes.

According to DF, the difference can be as high as almost 100% more pixels for the PS4 version. Something we never saw since Ground Zeroes.
But your comparing Xboxs lowest dip to ps4s highest?? Your are saying that when Xbox dips to 720 ps4 is holding 1080p?

But your comparing Xboxs lowest dip to ps4s highest?? Your are saying that when Xbox dips to 720 ps4 is holding 1080p?

I'm just quoting what DF said... in their analysis, they were unable to spot a lower resolution than 1920x1080 on PS4 while they found dips to almost 720p on XB1.

So far, DF couldn't find anything lower than 1080 on PS4 version of Doom, while the lowest resolution reordered/verified dip was 720 on XB1, while in some circumstances hits 1080, but mostly 900p gameplay. And these were in the most stressful areas that they could find...

@2:20 pretty much tells the story...

I'm just quoting what DF said... in their analysis, they were unable to spot a lower resolution than 1920x1080 on PS4 while they found dips to almost 720p on XB1.
I stand corrected. It wasn't statement I was challenging but whether we had the same comprehension, I only remembered that they indicated that 1080p most of the time but didn't provide a value for the dips. But it would appear they later go on to say could not located a frame below 1080p. Which I understand now where you are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back