Doom [PC]

Triangle/Setup bound?
Not really, at least from the numbers in the benchmark. For instance, compare the scores from Hawaii and Fiji -- both at 1050MHz GPU clock with similar primitive throughput. I think the game code is mostly ALU/Memory bound in some still unknown proportion. Poor OGL run-time should factor in, as well, for AMD.

Not really, at least from the numbers in the benchmark. For instance, compare the scores from Hawaii and Fiji -- both at 1050MHz GPU clock with similar primitive throughput. I think the game code is mostly ALU/Memory bound in some still unknown proportion. Poor OGL run-time should factor in, as well, for AMD.
hm... bandwidth shouldn't be an issue for Furry.

feeding ALU?

It seems to hesitate on my GTX 970 a bit, depending on what I'm looking at in the game. Pushing 2560x1440.

Certainly can tell it's an idTech5 evolution. I think it looks pretty good. I like the particle effects. Went outdoors and that was exciting too.

If you turn off the fancy AA, man is there some mega extreme specular aliasing at times. ;) Razor sharp pixels shining at you from puddles.

Last edited:
Doom runs kinda sluggishly at 1440P on my (slightly factory OCd) Asus R9 390X with almost everything set to max. It's also really really fucking dark, much of the time. Well, early on anyhow, I'm not sure how the game is all the way through because I had only time to play to the first airlock (which is practically nothing really, I know.)

Anyhow, I hope it gets brighter later on, because you can't friggin see anything when it's so dark, so how can you appreciate all the cool graphics they've made? I don't find any flashlight in this game - at least you got that in Doom 3... ;)
Sorry if you already done this.
Have you tried lowering the Shadow setting, especially if you set it to Nightmare?
Seems that option can hurt a lot and has a high requirement even on VRAM.
Cheers

Sorry if you already done this.
Have you tried lowering the Shadow setting
Advice is always good, especially if untested...!

No, I haven't tried fiddling around with settings yet, I just whacked them all (except one of them) up to max to see what it would be like, and if my card can handle it. It can, mostly! :p Good to know, but it can be better of course. I'll try lowering shadows "tomorrow" (IE, after I've had some sleep. ;)) Hopefully vulcan support can speed things up a bit...

Anyone know a timetable for vulcan support in DOOM? The latest AMD driver claims to have it, so should be OK on that front methinks.

No timetable for Vulkan support. They just said "soon after release".

Bought it today. Absolutely gorgeous and runs 60fps without skipping a beat on my 970 at 2560x1080 on Ultra setting. It's a blast so far.

Turn off all the bullshit like chromatic aberration.
I don't understand all the irrational hate CA gets. It's a cool effect, so I'm bloody well keeping it on! :p

BTW, Doom supports quite a litany of realtime effects, does anyone have an idea how many instructions/pixel (on average, I guess) Doom runs to render a full frame?

Doom 3 was on the order of what, 5-9 or something like that? Heh. What a difference a decade+ makes. ;)

Had to post this. Conversation I just had with a friend at work after I changed my Facebook cover.

doom funny.JPG

3 months of beta with excelent result on AMD gpu's . dunno what to think aboout Alu or memory bound, its not as shadow could impact it so much ( it do no difference on memory, and it is mostly on compute side, where AMD gpu's are more efficient ).. Honestly i have no idea what have happend between the last beta build ( April ) and now.

( decrease shadow seems provide the performance of AMD gpu#s back )

I think a driver could fix it. as this setting was not available before.

Last edited:
I played some more, I'm now on the 2nd map/mission (?). Found upgrade for shotgun on first mission (picked explosive shot), but when I resumed play today, explosive shot was unavailable for whatever reason, despite I could see it in the menus.

Turns out, the game had automatically switched me over to triple shot or whatsitscalled on load, despite the feature not even being present. Minor bug there I would say. Easily remedied, once I understood what had happened (which was after I found the 2nd shotgun upgrade, and the built-in hint told me how to switch between them... :p)

Regarding the god-fucking-awful darkness: I ended up having to bump the gamma majorly, which I don't know if I'm supposed to do (because it might screw up contrast/dynamic range, crush my blacks and make my brights washed out), but it was the only thing that really helped, as even some bits of the in-game menus were difficult, if not close to impossible to make out when I had set gamma according to the instructions when first starting up the game, such as greyed-out buttons and option panes and such.

Never have I encountered a game that was so picky about gamma before. *shrug*

I assume this vid was made using AMD's latest unsigned driver with explicit "DOOM support"?

If so, makes you wonder what the game was like with an older driver... Or maybe there were merely rendering bugs or such, and performance is basically unchanged. *shrug*

If the engine still does CUDA texture transcoding, there's your explanation for CPU load disparity. Megatexture processing has historically really pounded the CPU cores.

ie the AMD GPU isn't offloading it.

Last edited:
3 months of beta with excelent result on AMD gpu's . dunno what to think aboout Alu or memory bound, its not as shadow could impact it so much ( it do no difference on memory, and it is mostly on compute side, where AMD gpu's are more efficient ).. Honestly i have no idea what have happend between the last beta build ( April ) and now.

( decrease shadow seems provide the performance of AMD gpu#s back )

I think a driver could fix it. as this setting was not available before.

Probably same thing that happened to Rage. AMD had good performance up until the next to last drop before launch. Nvidia helped iD make some adjustments. AMD weren't allowed the final build until the game was released. Horror and hilarity ensued.

Regards,
SB

It's a wonder that ATI/AMD are able to stay as competitive for as long as they have given how Nvidia conspiring with third party developers have managed to steer them into fumbling their driver releases.

Back