Doom [PC]

A shame that the emergent jumping and movement mechanics from the first few Quakes probably can't translate into a modern shooter meant for a younger or more general audience that expects to be spoon-fed a rigid, explicitly implemented system. It's funny to think that despite all the efforts to capture parkour's sense of mobility that's become a part of pop-culture in recent years, the original deathmatch games are still closest in spirit to parkour.

A lot of very positive feedback on Steam reviews for this so far.

Doom runs kinda sluggishly at 1440P on my (slightly factory OCd) Asus R9 390X with almost everything set to max. It's also really really fucking dark, much of the time. Well, early on anyhow, I'm not sure how the game is all the way through because I had only time to play to the first airlock (which is practically nothing really, I know.)

Anyhow, I hope it gets brighter later on, because you can't friggin see anything when it's so dark, so how can you appreciate all the cool graphics they've made? I don't find any flashlight in this game - at least you got that in Doom 3... ;)

Doom runs kinda sluggishly at 1440P on my (slightly factory OCd) Asus R9 390X with almost everything set to max. It's also really really fucking dark, much of the time. Well, early on anyhow, I'm not sure how the game is all the way through because I had only time to play to the first airlock (which is practically nothing really, I know.)

Anyhow, I hope it gets brighter later on, because you can't friggin see anything when it's so dark, so how can you appreciate all the cool graphics they've made? I don't find any flashlight in this game - at least you got that in Doom 3... ;)
r_shadows 0? :p

From the benchmarks above, looks like AMD cards getting hit hard apart from Fury/Nano. At that resolution you'll have to lower some settings, shadows likely causing the biggest hit.

From the benchmarks above, looks like AMD cards getting hit hard apart from Fury/Nano. At that resolution you'll have to lower some settings, shadows likely causing the biggest hit.
Even the FuryX is no faster than the GTX980 (non-Ti), so I would say all AMD cards are performing a solid step below where they should be in this game.

Likely Vulkan will provide a decent boost for AMD once that is released by id "soon", probably more so for AMD than Nv.

Is the game OpenGL only right now? I tried searching the WWW for this information and was sucked into a click-bait / PR vortex.

Is the game OpenGL only right now? I tried searching the WWW for this information and was sucked into a click-bait / PR vortex.
Yes it's OpenGL 4.3, I don't believe there is a DirectX version at all.

(though technically the Xbox One version is DirectX in some form?)

Last edited:
At that resolution you'll have to lower some settings
Yeah. Maybe I should lower resolution, but I'm loathe to do that since so many games tend to scrunch up all my windows when you run them fullscreen at lower than desktop rez - id games in particular have historically loved to do that to me. Fucking amazing how badly MS designed windows fullscreen mode, really.

Triangle/Setup bound?
Where would all the primitives come from? The game has practically no open vistas from what I can tell, it's all relatively small enclosed rooms early on. Input lag was so bad I missed with more than half of my shotgun blasts. I'm thinking it's shit like SSAO and such bogging down the framerate - other games have caused big framerate hits from that feature alone at 1440P.

Where would all the primitives come from? The game has practically no open vistas from what I can tell, it's all relatively small enclosed rooms early on. Input lag was so bad I missed with more than half of my shotgun blasts. I'm thinking it's shit like SSAO and such bogging down the framerate - other games have caused big framerate hits from that feature alone at 1440P.
It's almost certainly AMD's pathetic OpenGL implementation.

issues with Rage
Oh, gods! Don't remind me. What a disaster that was.

AMDs initial driver from around Rage's release date worked terribly with Rage despite the game's famously long development period (you'd think they'd have time to work with id to get the kinks out, but nooo!), so there was a hotfix, and possibly a hotfix to the hotfix (all weighing in at ~125MB, by the way), and then next month's Catalyst popped, but it was a different fork, so did not have the Rage fixes in it and the game was bugged all over again. But you couldn't go back to the previous Cat's hotfix, because then some other just-launched game whichever that was (can't remember) was all fucked-up...

I think it was three months before AMD's wacko driver release/hotfix cycles were all in tune with one another and the game did not stop working properly anymore when a new driver was issued... Oye vey, what a mess that was.

Speaking of DOOM by the way... Hehe! Played through the first map (on don't hurt me, because I'm too old for this shit. :p) Was pretty fun, I guess. My aim got better once I got used to the pretty significant input lag. Seems to be several frames of latency from mouse input until the monitor actually updates.

The particle effects are great, sparks for example are very vivid and nice, even though huge cascades of them like from a cutting torch probably aren't all that realistic...

Not too fond of the darkness though. I want a flashlight, even if it's just the peashooter gun that gets it. The shotgun has hardly any muzzle flash at all so it doesn't help much when fighting a badguy in cramped, dark close-quarters.

Does anyone know how to access the secret door located pretty much right below the first armor upgrade one encounters?

Back