Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another naive article from DF.
I am disappointed by most of their recent topics for articles. They do seem to have succumb to the revenue you get from clicks and eyeballs and will write anything about anything these days :(

It's definitely a case of quantity over quality.

That game is a personal disappointment for me. After the incredible Resogun, seemingly millions of moving objects running at 60fps and a very interesting 3D view giving a good sense of space (oddly reminding me the false 3D levels of the incredible Blazing star on NeoGeo), well this one seems like a massive downgrade. Looks like a top down 2.5D game, running at 30fps with shiny effects.

Shiny lighting effects alone don't impress me anymore.

That game is a personal disappointment for me. After the incredible Resogun, seemingly millions of moving objects running at 60fps and a very interesting 3D view giving a good sense of space (oddly reminding me the false 3D levels of the incredible Blazing star on NeoGeo), well this one seems like a massive downgrade. Looks like a top down 2.5D game, running at 30fps with shiny effects.

Shiny lighting effects alone don't impress me anymore.

It's like saying you're disappointed by Uncharted 4 running at 30fps because TLOU runs at 60fps.

Alienation seems to be a vastly more complex game than Resogun.

I love Alienation...it is like Diablo! It has perfectly executed drop in online coop.

It is so far the only 2.5D game I have played that impresses me wrt graphics. It is sometimes a looker, that is for sure!

If someone wants to coop, I am ready (until tomorrow 0am, when UC4 takes over my life of course).

If you like Diablo...get this game: I already have 2 legendaries and I want them aaaaalll!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-uncharted-4-thiefs-end-tech-analysis
The months prior to the launch of PlayStation 4 were filled with both excitement and rampant speculation - the likes of the now-cancelled Star Wars 1313 and Ubisoft's Watch Dogs hinted at what was to come, but the reality didn't quite live up to the promise. However, with the release of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, we finally have a game that meets and exceeds our most optimistic pre-launch expectations. We've seen a number of current-gen consoles games delivering some remarkable visual achievements, but Naughty Dog has truly pushed on to the next level.

It's like saying you're disappointed by Uncharted 4 running at 30fps because TLOU runs at 60fps.

Alienation seems to be a vastly more complex game than Resogun.

If Uncharted was all tech and nothing else you probably would be disappointed. I think Resogun, framerate notwithstanding, simply makes Hoursemarque's typically cold, demo scene sort of look work really well and gets some really striking looking visuals out of it. Alienation, in my opinion, does not. It's the playable version of some benchmarking tool I downloaded to my phone at some point. I think Dead Nation had exactly the same problem. It was Super Stardust with the most generic zombie skin you could possibly imagine. Now replace zombies with aliens and there you go, Alienation.

Uncharted 4: 2014/2015 Demos vs Final Game Graphics Comparison

There is definitely some paring back on texture detail, lighting and shadowing. More than likely for performance reasons, which is why the 2014 demo had some some obvious stuttering/frame pacing issues. A beautiful game no doubt on the PS4... just begging for the Neo treatment though.

wonder what will can be upgraded if 60 fps still not possible on PS4k, hope they add physx like effects where the smoke and particles reacts to everything, and up the AF since they do have more bandwidth available now and CU and extra 100% of CU for graphics.

Some tessellation here and there would be nice too.

yeah, the new architecture should be better at tesselation right? some environment can definitely benefit from that. some grounds and walls are too flat and they definitely stand out when everything else looks so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back