A comparison of motion blur implementations *spawn

Vanquish had really good motion blur as well. Still 'detailed'. Reminded me of Lost Planet to the point that I always assumed they both used the MT framework engine.

Come to think of it, Vanquish is really in need of a re-release :(

I agree they look rouhg in stills, but comparing motion blur in stills is kinda stupid. If it looks good in motion (or not) is the real concern, and maybe some tricks work well in motion though not in stills.
Yes. Exactly. But I think that more often than not a "nice looking" motion blur seen on a pic won't be a good "trick" in motion unfortunately.

So you can stand still and then compare it to (stationary) Quantum Break. :yes:
Yes, this is pertinent. What I find most unnerving is the difference in clarity between in stills and in motion. Using this metric, QB is OK. UC4 is TERRIBAD.

QB is OK. UC4 is TERRIBAD.

That's an interesting thought
1s5ct5.png

2c9cmk.png

Stationary character, moving camera.
35lswj.png

Moving character

Last edited:
Relevant to the topic, DF did a comparison about the moblur quality in the different ver. of Dark Souls 3

PC>Ps4>X1

jpg

jpg

jpg

And while PC ends up blurring the image the most, it gets rid of most aliasing issues.

Something I noticed, Dark Souls 3 lacks per object motion blur...very odd.
It was present in DS1, DS2 and Bloodborne but not here.

Uncharted 4 motion blur with respective camera speeds: slow, moderate, full speed (gameplay and photo mode):

Slow speed:
2PIoQIf.png

Moderate speed:
DVaQlHg.png

Full speed:
A5a8mbP.png

Full speed in photo mode (oddly no motion blur during this mode):
IJAKZc8.png

Yea I'd say Ratchet & Clank and The Order have the upper hand here definitely.

I'd say UC4 moblur is (surprisingly) doing a decent job at keeping some clarity in motion. It's better than some others implementations. Here it's definitely not cheap. I wonder if it's the same stuff than in the beta MP. I need to test the MP (still haven't finished downloading the SP unfortunately...).

I'd say UC4 moblur is (surprisingly) doing a decent job at keeping some clarity in motion. It's better than some others implementations. Here it's definitely not cheap. I wonder if it's the same stuff than in the beta MP. I need to test the MP (still haven't finished downloading the SP unfortunately...).
I didn't say cheap, just not as good as R&C and The Order 1886 which are unbeaten in this area still.

Back