PlayStation 4K - Codename Neo - Technical analysis

Unfortunately it appears that the cat core team were disbanded, and AMD is zen all the way.
I agree for now they do not exist on any roadmap, I think it may make sense o bring them back once they have freed some manpower though as of now...
I mean, they are not going to improve or iterate the design, but i guess they could shrink it, just the basic jaguar core, into 14nm. This must have been signed since the start, from both parties. Durango/Orbis projects and future shrinks. Sony or Ms took care of R&D, that´s what semi-custom was all about, sharing costs
That is where I disagree not based on personal knowledge but based on what have been told many... many times lol I really wanted to happen /lol in response to many cliam that AMD should port their Star cores on newer process: it ain't that trivial. And if doable it make no sense for AMD not to use the product, which is why I would discard 14/16nm if the Neo launch this fall as it would imply Zen which are not ready (and are a signifiacnt departure from the existing /previous hardware).

And it fits with the narrative, why they could use for a refresh an updated GNC core, but with basic jaguar.
It makes sense to use newer harware, I like clean design as much as everybody, but BC could have proved quiet a bother and for all we know the design could be really "ugly". I mean out of my head think a SOC embarking a Dual GPU set-up (carbon copy of what exist in Orbis) with something hackish connecting the 4 shader engines, the RBE and the memory controllers.

Last edited:
I love that we have an 8-page thread about doing a technical analysis of a console that may not even be real and definitely won't be officially revealed at least until E3 2016.

Thank you B3D. Please don't you ever change.
Indeed, it's ridiculous. This speculative technical thread on a technical forum devoted to discussing 3d graphics technology, and all we have to go on is leaked documentation forwarded by reputable sources - and it may not even be officially confirmed for a MONTH!

Really, are you fucking kidding me? Of all the speculative nonsense that exists on the web and about consoles in general, relatively calm reasoned discussion about an upcoming refresh which is likely just over 30 days away from being 'confirmed' is pretty far from hysterical rumour-stoking. It is actually far less reasonable at this point to assume that this isn't legitimate given the outlets that have weighed in with 99% confirmation on this than to either mock the speculation of the details or sit on the fence regarding a refresh taking place at all. As others have already said, this would have been the largest misreported story with respect to consoles, and perhaps tech, of all time.

There is speculation on this on virtually every site related to consoles at all. To treat this as something intrinsic to Beyond3D (which would be fine of course, as speculation on upcoming 3d tech is basically B3D's raison-d'etre) is weird. By all means, head over to Neogaf or IGN if you're really searching for comedy gold.

I love that we have an 8-page thread about doing a technical analysis of a console that may not even be real and definitely won't be officially revealed at least until E3 2016.

Thank you B3D. Please don't you ever change.

And that's exactly why I had the thread closed because it's nothing but rumors, but then others cried loud enough to have it reopened and I couldn't shake them enough until they went quiet.

Original Posts:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1908154/
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1908960/

Sometimes I close a thread in the dreaded console forum and the next morning it is open again too...
Must be a glitch in the matrix !

Last edited:
100's of pages of predicting new consoles years before they were announced : https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/predict-the-next-generation-console-tech.29254/

As far as Neo goes, DF has 'insider info' and there's no reason to doubt that at this stage. Plus, if it's a troll by Sony there's no harm in speculating what a mid-gen upgrade could have been anyway.

If one thinks this a silly discussion, one is free to avoid it.

Really, are you fucking kidding me?

No, I wasn't kidding.
I was being very serious in the way that I like how B3D engages and discusses the nooks and crannies of rumored hardware. It wasn't a sarcastic comment.

That 3-paragraph-long post of yours was completely uncalled for.
You guys need to cool off a bit.

100's of pages of predicting new consoles years before they were announced : https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/predict-the-next-generation-console-tech.29254/

As far as Neo goes, DF has 'insider info' and there's no reason to doubt that at this stage. Plus, if it's a troll by Sony there's no harm in speculating what a mid-gen upgrade could have been anyway.

well, if this is all trolling, Sony would deny it. These speculations can hurt the sales until the rumored release. Who would buy a PS4 now, if he "knows" there is a better PS4 coming at the end of the year.

well, if this is all trolling, Sony would deny it. These speculations can hurt the sales until the rumored release. Who would buy a PS4 now, if he "knows" there is a better PS4 coming at the end of the year.
Surely that happens in both cases? Sony are confirming its existence by being quiet - and even then, after E3 next month it might be confirmed officially. Who would buy a PS4 after that, knowing there's a new model coming out in 6 months or so? The reality is that a lot of people will still buy the original PS4, first because it's cheaper, and secondly because not everyone might see the added value in the product, when the old one can run stuff like UC4 like it does. We'll have to see.

Also, this thread exists in the Architecture & Products area based on 4 words and a rough timeline on a slide that is clearly marked "projected" and "subject to change" and no one is questioning whether that thread should exist.

No, I wasn't kidding.
I was being very serious in the way that I like how B3D engages and discusses the nooks and crannies of rumored hardware. It wasn't a sarcastic comment.

That 3-paragraph-long post of yours was completely uncalled for.
You guys need to cool off a bit.
Apologies then. It came off as tut-tutting to me rather than the more lighthearted way you intended.

E3 is not a good timing for announcing new version of consoles, because it's too long to Q4. Historically, Gamescom is much more possible for announcing an enhancement version of console.

Interesting. So that pretty much confirms Polaris and Puma (Puma offering nothing more than a clock speed increase). All eyes will now be on the relative efficiency of Polaris vs GCN1.1 and 1.2.

With Sony PlayStation VR retail packaging being a mess of cables and what appears to be a second video processing console, in the spring of 2014 SONY pulled the trigger and informed AMD that they would like to adopt AMD’s upcoming 14nm FinFET product line, based on successor of low-power Puma (16h) CPU and Polaris GPU processor architecture.

And probably not puma too, it will be a custom CPU...

And probably not puma too, it will be a custom CPU...

Why would AMD develop a custom CPU for this when Puma would do the job fine? According to the source, AMD requested the Puma successor which as far as I'm aware means Zen since Puma is the end of the line for the 'cat' cores. And if it's not Zen (as the source says it's not)...

Back