New Nintendo Product

Oho. Maybe next year we'll be waving a huge axe around instead of a controller, to play Golden Axe. Mwaha.

In the latest EGM's rumor sections, there is a rumor that it will be something like those handheld all in one atari(or whatever) controllers that are selling fairly well.

Fox5 said:
In the latest EGM's rumor sections, there is a rumor that it will be something like those handheld all in one atari(or whatever) controllers that are selling fairly well.

That would make it rather like the iQue then (which I'm sure they wouldn't lock down as only offering a few games when they can offer the flash ROM playability and do a lot more with it), which is probably where the rumor comes out of. Makes sense, but it wouldn't be something "not seen before" and I don't think would be strong enough to be another "pillar" for them.

I just saw an article that reminded me about Nintendo's upcoming GB Camera successor/Sony EyeToy competitor Game Eye that'll be able to connect to the GameCube and probably GBA too. Maybe with the popularity of EyeToy, Nintendo has decided to up the envelope on the Game Eye.. making it a stand-alone product that doesn't require the GBA or GCN to work, but can also use them. Wishful thinking, maybe.. but that (and the iQue) are the only announced hardware products we know about that are coming out of Nintendo right now.. so..

I can certainly see them coming out with that as well, but I'm certainly hoping it isn't the new product they're treating so seriously, as neither would seem to be any kind of new direction, nor be something strong enough to exist alongside GC or GB. I'd rather like to be surprised by something. :)

Oho. Maybe next year we'll be waving a huge axe around instead of a controller, to play Golden Axe. Mwaha.
Heh, Capcom just announced the Sword Controller for their upcoming game Onimusha 3. How is it supposed to work, I have no idea.

I think it would be a pretty awesome advancement for the industry if somebody designed a controller around that gyration technology.. especially if it gave you some kind of force feedback (even in the direction against your movement with gyros somehow :p).

Imagine trying to tilt your controller up and to the left to control something, but there is a gyro force pushing against you (down and to the right) because there is a wall there.. or some physical force like wind. I dunno if this is even possible, but I like getting overly-excited about announcements that will innevitabely dissapoint. =)

i believe nintendo will launch the gba successor to end of 2004 to compete with PSP.

i bet all 3 manufaturares will announce their next gens at E3 this year.
and maybe end of 2004 launch , maybe pushed back spring 2005 .

my source still holds on that 3 cpu 2 gpu type of xbox2 but hey , he is more crazy then me .... happy newyear btw :p

Fox5 said:

No, Q-mann said that the possible handheld all-in-one controller would be an additional possibility, not the 'new thing' they have in store.

Well, it also said something about them having that new thing in addition to whatever other new thing they have in store. Is this New Nintendo Product announcement in this thread actually new, or is it a restatement of the previous announcement that they introduce a new product by 2004?

cthellis42 said:
Fox5 said:

That would make it rather like the iQue then (which I'm sure they wouldn't lock down as only offering a few games when they can offer the flash ROM playability and do a lot more with it), which is probably where the rumor comes out of. Makes sense, but it wouldn't be something "not seen before" and I don't think would be strong enough to be another "pillar" for them.

I don't really think iQue is going to be released in countries other than China.. Face it, we've all seen the N64 era years ago and most of us still have many N64 games... iQue is purely intended for retail in China (N64 was never released in China, and the iQue distribution system can only work in a profitable way in China I think)

I was thinking more like exactly like the Atari retro game controllers.

Say a NES, old arcade game, or snes controller that comes with like 10 games.

IMO, I don't think a flash card system would work well in America, unless they have flash card stands in the stores, but also the option to download off the Internet at home.(you can download games for cell phones, why not for a dedicated game system?)

Evil_Cloud said:
I don't really think iQue is going to be released in countries other than China.. Face it, we've all seen the N64 era years ago and most of us still have many N64 games... iQue is purely intended for retail in China (N64 was never released in China, and the iQue distribution system can only work in a profitable way in China I think)

...and yet wouldn't it be pretty frickin' cool to have a similar machine that lets you play the bulk of every Nintendo game existant from the NES to N64, swap them around pretty freely (or pay a pittance to gain access to them), and have a bunch of stuff on a Flash ROM you could bring anywhere and hook up to any TV you run across, all in one unit?

Yes. Yes it would.

We certainly wouldn't see exactly what the iQue is, but I think they could play on the idea to create something unique and appealing to a ton of folk.

IMO, iQue would be a bit big. However, if they had something the size of a NES or SNES controller, that would be like a perfect size.(and if it was only doing nes/snes games, they probably could do it that size) Something you could slip in your pocket, though the cables might prove to be a problem. They could fix that a little bit by not having an ac adapter on the cable(not sure if they could fit one in the system small enough, though it would generate heat but perhaps for such a low tech device it wouldn't need to be big), and maybe having a wireless video transmitter? Or they could give the option for batteries. I doubt they'd have SNES games though, as that would eat into their gba market, but by late 2004/2005, maybe gba snes rehashes won't be a big deal anymore?

Fox5, the bandwidth needed to send an uncompressed NTSC video signal is pretty enormous, and well beyond the reach of most wireless systems. A better bet would be a wireless controller only and the processor at the receiving bay on the TV. A division at that point requires far less wireless bandwidth.

Hmm, I dunno, it was just an idea since I have an RF transmitter that can transmit signals from composite. Not sure about the quality, I've never used it.

Back