Eurogamer: An insider confirms the existence of Xbox Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
something in the order of over 10 TFLOPS or so.
holy shit mr X, 10 TFlops, the newly announced nvidia cards, this day hot off the presses I think (the fastest cards in the world at the moment) don't even reach that
Color me impressed

Yeah, GTX 1080 at $600 just for a GPU and (fastest available anywhere) RAM clocking in at 9TF; Nextbox at 10? No Fucking Way.

Yeah, GTX 1080 at $600 just for a GPU and (fastest available anywhere) RAM clocking in at 9TF; Nextbox at 10? No Fucking Way.
Not that your overall point is invalid but I wish people would stop comparing Nvidia's GPU flops to consoles. Use AMD GPU flops for reference.

That said it is possible that Vega will come close to 10Tflops.

In what way are AMD flops fundamentally different from NV flops? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, vega is one thing, and even if it by magic was to hit 10TF, it won't be the chip making it into any supposed nextbox. Also, that a console APU would beat AMD's discrete flagship in performance... Not statistically likely.

A console won't get a 10 flop GPU until we hit 10nm and I doubt that will happen for at least 3 more years ( although we should have 10nm mobile products next year).

I think MS could release an overall more powerful console than PS4 next year by upgrading the CPU to Zen and going for a higher clocked Polaris-based GPU. They could potentially hit 5-6 teraflops, but not close to 10.

Anyhow, vega is one thing, and even if it by magic was to hit 10TF, it won't be the chip making it into any supposed nextbox. Also, that a console APU would beat AMD's discrete flagship in performance...

Vega 10 is almost certainly going to exceed 10TF. The Fury Nano, like Vega 10, has 4096 alus, and clocks at 1000MHz in a 200W power envelope. Since Glofo/Samsungs 14nm FF process offers 40% higher performance at same power level, I'd expect Vega 10 to exceed 10TF.

The new process also has twice the density, so we're talking around 300mm² for the GPU/memory interface part. It should be possible to add 8 CPU cores + caches in around 100mm² ending up with a SOC slightly larger than Durango.

The loaded cost of a 300mm 14nm FinFet wafer is around $5000, with a gross margin around 50%, that's $10000 per wafer. You get 140 dies out of a 300 mm wafer, so the raw cost per die is around $72. You need well below 50% yield to get above $150 per SOC.

IMO, not unfeasible at all for late 2017.

Cheers

I think you are underestimating Misterx journalistism skills. Have we forgotten Microsofts exclusive joint patent with AMD for darksilicon & stacked 2nd transistor layer ALU tech and what he's been rumoring DX12_4 will unleash in 2017-18?

uh huh. You'll know if Microsoft is up to their old shenanigans if the power brick is the same size as a Nintendo console.
And today at E3 we unveil a power supply that is larger than our console! This is the Next Xbox Brick - oh wait - I am supposed to talk about this small device next to the power supply....what it has 10TF?? Are we nuts, who did this? Phil!!!

Did Microsoft mention forwards compatibility when speaking about new console upgrades?

What if they do plan forward compatibility and wish developers to embrace this now or with the nextbox game releases as they know what they expect to do for the console release after, possibly suggesting they target upto this 10tf with some level of dynamic config in between which will cover nextbox as well as it's successor

Turn 10 have some dynamic settings in Forza 6 Apex which tweaks settings on the fly to deliver 60fps , given they are first party and would field test any new technology.

Did Microsoft mention forwards compatibility when speaking about new console upgrades?

As I understand it all their games and peripherals as discussed will always be forward compatible since the release of Xbox One. No more forcing players to get new hardware or software. It would be a mistake to 180 on this strategy imo. Considering all they've done with bringing in 360 games as well.

Reactions: Jwm
What the naysayers are forgetting is the xbone already reaches 4 Tflops when running dx12 code that unlocks the secret second gpu (inside the power brick) NextBox will have at least 3 secret gpus to be unlocked with dx13, 8 shape audio controllers to aleviate the cpu off of all that audio processing (nearly 80% of a regular game's cpu budget).
Add to that the full 3 metres high azzure server rack that will come packed in with its own air conditioner unit for offline local cloud computing, and we will be talking about a true beast. Of course, 50% of that power will be reserved for the OS thar will now run windows 10, 8, me, XP, 95 and DOS in parallel for that wholistic MS experience we all know and love. They say QB can reach 20fps in full 1080p without reprojection, even when all the volumetrics kick in.

What the naysayers are forgetting is the xbone already reaches 4 Tflops when running dx12 code that unlocks the secret second gpu (inside the power brick) NextBox will have at least 3 secret gpus to be unlocked with dx13, 8 shape audio controllers to aleviate the cpu off of all that audio processing (nearly 80% of a regular game's cpu budget).
Add to that the full 3 metres high azzure server rack that will come packed in with its own air conditioner unit for offline local cloud computing, and we will be talking about a true beast. Of course, 50% of that power will be reserved for the OS thar will now run windows 10, 8, me, XP, 95 and DOS in parallel for that wholistic MS experience we all know and love. They say QB can reach 20fps in full 1080p without reprojection, even when all the volumetrics kick in.

Enough of the trolling please.

I'm expecting dual 1080s at least (18TF~ rumor would make sense then), bring it on MS!

/s

Although i'm interested to see what they end up doing with the next Xbox, especially how they tackle the eSRAM problem if they want full backwards compatibility with X1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back