Best GPU that can be put in a Dell Inspiron 530?

mpg1

Veteran
It has a Q6600 @2.4GHz (cannot be overclocked). PSU is 300W. What is the best graphics card I could put in with that PSU and CPU?

PLEASE I AM ONLY INTERESTED IN ADVICE ON POSSIBLE GPU's. NOT UPGRADING ANYTHING ELSE.

Thanks.

If it's a first gen Q6600 then that is already pulling around 110 Watts for CPU alone. Add in power draw for HDD, optical drive, cooling fans, and motherboard (25 - 45 Watts depending on exact model) and you're somewhere in the range of 175-200 Watts of that 300 Watts already.

If money is no object then I'd go with one of the upcoming Polaris cards that fall within the power envelope. Most games will be cpu bottlenecked but I'm sure there are a few games that would benefit from a mainstream polaris card.

If money is no object then I'd go with one of the upcoming Polaris cards that fall within the power envelope. Most games will be cpu bottlenecked but I'm sure there are a few games that would benefit from a mainstream polaris card.

Yeah I'm wondering if I'd be able to use one of the Polaris 11 cards. Supposedly they are going to be super low power...

I'm hoping low power + DirectX 12 performance could bring an old dell system to life...

Is it worth it upgrading such an old clunky PC? Maybe perhaps save up for a new laptop instead? Built-in graphics is already way better than what you have in that dell right now I wager. :p It's also getting much better every year that goes past.

The age that thing is, power supply or mobo caps could pretty much blow any day now. You buy a new graphics card and something dies in your ancient machine - well there you stand with a new graphics card and no way to use it. Even fans wearing out is going to be difficult, possibly expensive to manage after this long, since Dell used non-standard power connectors back then and maybe still do for all I know.

I'd seriously look into retiring that old nag if I were you. ;)

It has a new CPU fan. Has an HD Radeon 2600XT that came with it...

I dunno I'm not that big of a gamer anymore but if I could manage to get a low power card either a 750Ti or new low end AMD for relatively cheap ie $150 or less I think I am going to try it to see how it would work out. If the computer dies then wateves..

I dunno I'm not that big of a gamer anymore but if I could manage to get a low power card either a 750Ti or new low end AMD for relatively cheap ie $150 or less I think I am going to try it to see how it would work out. If the computer dies then wateves..

You're probably going to be well served with a Polaris 11. Rumors point to PS4/Pitcairn performance at less than 75W, meaning it could replace your cuurrent 2600XT at the same size and power budget.

If you can't wait, then you do have the GM107 750Ti right now, but keep in mind that it's a >2 year-old card which is about to be either replaced or have its price lowered as soon as Polaris is launched.

One thing you might want to check is RAM amount. If your system only has 4GB of RAM then you might as well just avoid the investment because odds are many games won't even run in it (or worse: they'll be dependent on page file to run).

Don't forget that for old systems the power supply doesn't work as efficiently as new ones so that super low power polaris might be your best bet.

You're probably going to be well served with a Polaris 11. Rumors point to PS4/Pitcairn performance at less than 75W, meaning it could replace your cuurrent 2600XT at the same size and power budget.

If you can't wait, then you do have the GM107 750Ti right now, but keep in mind that it's a >2 year-old card which is about to be either replaced or have its price lowered as soon as Polaris is launched.

One thing you might want to check is RAM amount. If your system only has 4GB of RAM then you might as well just avoid the investment because odds are many games won't even run in it (or worse: they'll be dependent on page file to run).
Apparently Polaris 11 will only be used for mobile gpu's. So I'd be curious to see what the lowest polaris desktop card is available.

It has 3GB of ram...but I'm thinking if I can get a card with 4GB of video memory I should be fine?

Apparently Polaris 11 will only be used for mobile gpu's. So I'd be curious to see what the lowest polaris desktop card is available.
As far as I know, the Polaris 11 that was being shown at CES with a power-meter next to a GTX 950 was in a desktop.

Polaris 11's reported performance (console performance) will still be well above any integrated GPU to date or near future, so unlike e.g. Oland there's a large market to cover with a desktop card.

As far as I know, the Polaris 11 that was being shown at CES with a power-meter next to a GTX 950 was in a desktop.

Polaris 11's reported performance (console performance) will still be well above any integrated GPU to date or near future, so unlike e.g. Oland there's a large market to cover with a desktop card.
Yeah I seen that video but who knows what type of prototype they were using there. Apparently Polaris 11 will be aimed at notebooks...at least initially: http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-10-polaris-11-launch-event/

I'm just curious if there will be a discrete desktop R7 460/470 card launching next month and what the TDP will be...

I know what you said in the OP but seriously, don't waste money upgrading that thing. The CPU doesn't meet the minspec for like any games released in the last couple years. And I don't think a faster GPU is gonna make much difference in games that the stock Q6600 can run anyway.

I'd stalk fleabay for a cheap-ish 750 Ti. I don't think I'd invest in a $200+ brand new card for that machine.

I'm impressed you're still gaming to some degree on a 2600XT. Unsupported by AMD for years now. That card was depressing when it was brand new. :) 750 Ti might be 10x faster.

Last edited:
Back