Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the guy from Mr. Robot and Until Dawn?
Rami-Malek-Net-Worth.jpg

If this is correct Clukus recognizes the real people behind the digital ones very quickly.

From my perspective they look a bit different.

If this is correct Clukus recognizes the real people behind the digital ones very quickly.

From my perspective they look a bit different.
Nah, he looks exactly like the knobhead from Until Dawn.

I actually thought Clukos was asking if the guy in the picture (Rami Malek) was in Until Dawn and Mr. Robot because of how he phrased it.

If he was asking if the BF dude looks like Rami Malek then nope, I don't see it.

Credit to nib95 from gaf

Nathan Drake gameplay screengrabs (no photomode, this is just the camera close to character)
Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160508074521_1.png~original

Unchartedtrade%204_%20A%20Thiefrsquos%20End_20160508073553.png~original

just wow at the detail (the small individual strands, the shading, the details)

Last edited:
When I get the game I'm gonna find the best lighting condition with wetness on Drake during gameplay and attempt to match it up with this.
Making-of-Uncharted-4-Nathan-Drake-19.jpg

And see how close we can get.

Didn't the DF article mention that the models now basically feature (and animate) all human facial muscles? If so that alone will have had some effect on the look of the characters.

Didn't the DF article mention that the models now basically feature (and animate) all human facial muscles? If so that alone will have had some effect on the look of the characters.

I'm not sure that's the right way to describe the face rigs. For a start, there are no muscles anywhere, it's 'only' blendshapes in the rig (which apparently gets converted to bones for runtime).

Second, the shape set - as seen in the BTS Drake video - is heavily based on the FACS system. This method approaches facial movements from a neurological point of view: what a person can consciously (or unconsciously) control. So the elemental facial actions can involve more than a single muscle, and also multiple different actions can be attributed to a single muscle (or rather, muscle group).
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~face/facs.htm

On the other hand, the video has also suggested that there are lots of other shapes that provide subtle control for the animators, which can either have very little to do with any facial muscles; or, sometimes a single FACS action unit is broken down into multiple parts.

However, if your point was about how the rigs reproduce the majority of the possible range of human expressions - which in turn also means the effect of practically all the facial muscles - then of course you're correct :)

The cut-scene facial animation is impeccable but during gameplay, the delivery is sometimes very flat, the Nathan's eyebrows didn't seem to react much during mid-play speech in a conversation during the beginning of the game, for example. I guess since you are expected to be seeing the back of his head, they may not have put as much resources to those extra lines.

Closeup of some characters in Uncharted 4 from the model viewer

Nathan Drake
26971559445_ff1f1df7ba_o.png

Elena Fisher
26877269952_56edb226da_o.png

Nadine Ross
26877280552_b7c767007d_o.png

Rafe Adler
26366088024_4cfb32ecb7_o.png

Nadine Ross is imo the best and most believable CGI character I have seen.

From the curly hair, imo best facial animation, the very trained body, her panther like movement and her special dress code, which fits her style so well..she is just perfectly generated imo.

Best scene in the whole game imo: she getting out of her shoes to kick Nate's ass! So well animated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back