Beware, Android Adoptable Storage did not do what it advertise

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Android adoptable storage was advertised as merging External SD with internal storage. Thus allowing people with limited internal storage to use external SD to boost their Internal Storage. (maybe similar to Windows Phone)

But in reality, Adoptable Storage is more similar to "Move App to SD" that already available in android since eons ago. I think since kitkat? Or maybe gingerbread. It also doesn't fix the limitation of "SD WRITE ACCESS" that was put since lollipop, despite adoptable storage was labeled as "internal storage". It actually still being treated as External SD.

Adoptable storage did not actualy merge external with internal storage. it just displays them as one storage. While in reality, they are still in a separate pool.

A few points:
  • Despite the merged internal storage (labeled as "internal storage") saying it have huge free space, app still can refuse to install due to "insufficient space" when the "real" internal storage is full.
  • Android can goes into bootloop and/or crashy when the "real" internal storage is totally full.
  • App that did not explicitly mention they support adoptable storage wont be automatically "migrated" to the expanded storage space.
  • You can manually put apps into migrated storage space one by one, just like what you already can done using "move to sd" that already available on old android version.
  • To make things more confusing, app that was moved to the expanded storage need to have SD Write/Media access declared to work properly. Case in point, SwiftKey will keep loosing its prediction and language data with Adoptable storage. Because it simply doesnt have the SD Write/Media access declared.
  • Just like manufacturer can disable "move app to SD" feature from their ROM, manufacturer also can disable Adoptable storage.

no wonder Samsung and many other manufacturers prefer to disable Adoptable Storage by default. It simply wasn't ready for consumer.

it should works like Windows Phone.

What do you store on your phone, multiple hour long vids of your cat, I think I've only run out of space once (with a 8gb phone on holiday so had ~15 films on it)
my current phone 32gb has ~16gb free, the only way I could see me filling it is if I go on a 6 month holiday (and need to take along ~100 films and lots of music)

What do you store on your phone, multiple hour long vids of your cat, I think I've only run out of space once (with a 8gb phone on holiday so had ~15 films on it)
my current phone 32gb has ~16gb free, the only way I could see me filling it is if I go on a 6 month holiday (and need to take along ~100 films and lots of music)

I only got around 10 GB of free internal storage if I delete all the junk stock softwares.

10 GB means it will get filled with gigabytes of WhatsApp and Line. Each games also weight around half to 1 GB. The ridiculous amount of Google Photos cache also doesn't helps.

4k video also took ridiculous amount of space. Like.. Hundreds of megabytes just in minutes! Crazy! They should have used x265.

surely its not necessary to have all your whatsapp etc stuff on the phone, eg you don't have all your gmail etc on the phone as well do you, or your photos, Surely you're aware this stuff can easily be stored on the cloud, is it necessary to have these hour long videos of your cat a 4k?

Cloud? You mean the Internet? Sorry I won't sell my cats just to pay for monthly Internet with humane quote.

Last edited:
Cloud? You mean the Internet? Sorry I won't sell my cats just to pay for monthly Internet with humane quote.
Not sure what you mean, are you meaning your mobile bandwidth then yes its an unnecessary wastage, but you can turn it on to only update the cloud/internet over wifi

Back