http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13350

pax

Newcomer
Rarely read something this damning even at the inquirer who's not exactly 'the vole's' best friend ...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13350

Linkified here, for lazy people

EDIT: Meh. Another anti-microsoft rant. I personally don't know anybody who doesn't use Office in one form or another, and nobody who owns a recent Mac either, excepting our mac developers at work.

Of course, that's just anecdotal evidence. ;)

I like ms though. That kinda sucks. I got windows xp home for 40 bucks at best buy last week. It was a good deal.

Im just wondering about the mentions of desertion rates. And in terms of corporate and gov business they might be losing to linux. Not many hard numbers tho but if MS has been playing around with its numbers when tech is supposed to be on the upswing it doesnt bode well for them.

I dont think ms will lose the desktop tho anytime soon... But how much of its income is based there...

Mark my words. 2004 will go down in history as the start of a massive fall for two huge companies; Intel and Microsoft.

Intel? No way... Not for a while yet and tho Ive been running amd for years I dont see amd being more than the 15-20% of market share its always been at. Intels 64 bit x86 clone is about to come out as well so...

What Russ said... MS is still very strong, and I remember just a few years ago, in this "New Economy" nonsense, when Linux was supposed to be everywhere, from server to desktop...

The culture at Microsoft , however, prevents change.

That's total, utter, complete uninformed ranting BS coming from Fudo, but that shouldn't surprise us... Remember when Gates said he didn't believe in Internet a long time ago ? Well, MS realized their mistake, and in 6 months they changed the whole company strategy to be based on Internet... If anything, MS's ability to change is completely amazing for a company this size.

Intel's really not going anywhere. Microsoft neither, though there ARE a lot of years between now and Longhorn, and they way they're currently going they may well lose a lot the dominance they've previously enjoyed, and may not be able to re-instate it instantly with Longhorn. (Especially since people are certainly balking at their subscription models and rather concerned about heavy-handed DRM use.) Alternate options are still moving quickly, and MS themselves are in a bit of a quagmire until then.

What all these people championing for Linux or MacOS don't realize (and something Microsoft has realized since day1) is that no one in the mass-market gives a shit about the operating system they run. You don't write documents with an operating system, you don't play an operating system, you don't send e-mail with an operating system. The only thing that matters, and the only thing that the general consumer cares about is the software on that operating system.

The only way you're going to get everyone to switch to Linux is to first get all developers to switch, and that's going to be a really tough sell seeing as most software ported to linux usually ends up making less than it costs to do the port (this is especially true for games).

CorwinB said:
That's total, utter, complete uninformed ranting BS coming from Fudo, but that shouldn't surprise us... Remember when Gates said he didn't believe in Internet a long time ago ? Well, MS realized their mistake, and in 6 months they changed the whole company strategy to be based on Internet... If anything, MS's ability to change is completely amazing for a company this size.

Aye. Microsoft's setup, as a company, is probably the best I've seen. I'm talking about how they split the company up into a bunch of 20 or so people teams (though not all of the company is setup in this way..) that all operate almost independent of each other, all in their own small building. So while the company itself is damn massive, the minute-to-minute and day-to-day stuff is all as if you were working at a very small company, and you get very little of that corporate bureaucracy that makes change almost impossible. As a result, they're able to go through drastic changes in very short timeframes without killing themselves off. Something you can't say for most large corporations out there.

From what I hear from people working there, it also makes for a great working environment, since you don't generally get that "did you file your TPS report" stuff from 10 different bosses (god, Office Space was great) ;) Or get stuck in a situation where the only way to be promoted is for the person above you to die or quit.

Yeah I to beleive this is BS, but we will see. Hopefully they will lower their prices though. I got Windows XP Pro for $5, but I would pay $50 for it, but never the ridiculous prices they charge. Same with office ($20). So many people get deals on their software, but I feel sorry for anyone that has to pay full price, I think they should just cheapen it up all across the board for everyone.

Honestly, OpenOffice *owns* MS Office's a**. The only thing I've noticed that's better about MS than OpenOffice is the formula editor, and that's only because the Office editor is by a third-party. And with some work, you can get that to work in OpenOffice.

When it comes to the cheapest dollar per crash, OpenOffice is the clear winner. ;)

Willmeister said:
Honestly, OpenOffice *owns* MS Office's a**. The only thing I've noticed that's better about MS than OpenOffice is the formula editor, and that's only because the Office editor is by a third-party. And with some work, you can get that to work in OpenOffice.

When it comes to the cheapest dollar per crash, OpenOffice is the clear winner. ;)
OpenOffice is pretty good, but it seems slow to me. Then again, I've only used it on a P2 450 with 384 megs of RAM recently, so that's probably just the machine. Still, a great word processor (I still prefer typing in Emacs and then dumping to a word processor, but I'm nuts like that).

I said the start of a massive fall people.

What do you think would happen to Intel if M$ or TI or IBM bought AMD?

With China coming online I see them being Linux's best hope.

The formula editor sucks. Very few people write scientific papers with office or openoffice.

There are way better alternatives available, like Tex, scientific workplace, etc.

But personally I much prefer Microsoft's stuff. Linux is awful.

By and large windows works, it's the bit of crap required to run X, nobody I know likes windows, it's a pain in the butt, keeps breaking, it's a mess. I don't think much of linux either, if windows needs a new start, so does linux. There a good elements of both, but with anything involving more than one person it has grown a bunch of crap around it. So long as applications need windows to run, there will be no alternatives for most people. Talking desktop, girl next door users, now, uber geeks can figure out linux.

The ideal OS would be one that can be easily fixed, all the controls in one place, that doesn't apply to either windows or linux. There is just too much crap. Why doesn't installing a driver just mean a single file dropped into a folder? Have a folder for failsafe and one for all the installed crap. Because the design says you got to do this, and do that, but not that, and on tuesday's you must wear a pink hat, etc etc.

Oh well..

Back