Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Yep. But in Nioh's case, the gameplay is at least mostly there and in many ways quite strong. A little bit rough around the edges at this point, but hey, it's an alpha.

gIuZ7Z.png

is this native 1080p? For some reason it looks blurry to me.

1080p. You can see it in the dithering. It's a photomode shot? There's sharpening and chromatic abberation. The CA actually seems a bit bugged? Red is separated to the left, blue to the right, except on the trees near the rock.

Image1.png

There's also something blurry going on with Sully's arm. I think it's 'lens simulation' being the culprit though. Or TAA?

Last edited:
TAA will always blur the image a bit, that is the trade off for a clean image in motion. I'm highly in favor as I despise shimmering and micro detail aliasing.

The CA actually seems a bit bugged? Red is separated to the left, blue to the right, except on the trees near the rock.
I think you're visualizing it as bleeding around depth boundaries, but it's just a color filter. Red is shifted left, blue is shifted right; bright regions (not near regions) have red fringes on the left and blue fringes on the right.

I don't understand. CA as a simulated lens effect should be uniformally aligned in all cases, no?
It is uniformly aligned. Left boundaries of bright regions bleed red, right boundaries of bright regions bleed blue. This means that some objects will have blue on the left and red on the right, and some objects will have that reversed, depending on their appearance relative to their background.

Same filter, applied to black square on white background and white square on black background:

rY4UrDw.png

So not bugged, just optically wrong? Why even use that method? I'd have thought the simplest solution is also the correct one - warp the red one direction and the blur the other based on distance from the centre of the lens. Using my spectacles as reference, left side of the lens shifts red to the left and blue to the right; right side shifts blue to the left and red to the right. Centre has no wavelength shift. That's a dead simple post effect to create.

So not bugged, just optically wrong? Why even use that method? I'd have thought the simplest solution is also the correct one - warp the red one direction and the blur the other based on distance from the centre of the lens. Using my spectacles as reference, left side of the lens shifts red to the left and blue to the right; right side shifts blue to the left and red to the right. Centre has no wavelength shift. That's a dead simple post effect to create.
That's what they're doing. My demonstration image is showing the effect locally, i.e. in a small region of the image. I thought that's what you were interested in, since your cropped image showing a "bug" was from a small part of the image. If you look at the full render, the color shift swaps across the center.

Here's a pretty bad screenshot from the next AC game:
assassins_creed_movie_still_may_1.jpg

The characters seem to be floating, they don't match with their background, the foreground doesn't match with the background, the poses look bad, the costumes look silly...

Oh wait, it's from the AC movie.

I have trouble parsing that image. The ledge looks like a street ad the background buildings look like small box-type features/steps. I suppose it's the near orthographic projection.

The funny thing is that I don't think so. It's more about how real life is sometimes just not that super amazing looking :)
I think it prolly is greenscreen, from a google thats micheal fassbender, so I doubt they'll want to risk him for something they can easily greenscreen
assassins-creed-6b.jpg

But I do agree with the sentiment, I've long held this belief reallife sux (esp on overcast days outside) I want uberreality, i.e. better than reallife lighting
eg heres a post of mine from 2008 where by coincidence I address a question posed by you
Laa-Yosh said:
Well... where are the shadows from the characters? Not to mention self-shadowing.
theyre there, you've just gotta look closely. KZ2 is using a lighting scheme thats closer to reality than other games, thus shadows arent as pronounced. This comes back to something ive been saying since the start of this decade, lighting in reality is often quite boring + doesnt help gameplay.
though one thing in the first shot looks bad,whats up with the guys left leg?, + the right foot clipping the geometry (but all games suffer from this)
There was a post yesterday by shiftygeezer IIRC, where he links to some google images of english countryside, his assertion was ~'the lighting in reallife is brilliant and not flat at all like this game' but if you looked at some of the actual photos the lighting was extremely flat and in fact worse than the game he was criticizing

Is it really possible for real life to look worse than computer graphics? I think the concept itself is paradoxical. Computer graphics were created by real life, thus they cannot look better.

Back