Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, don't like the sharpening filter in the photomode shots.

Is there a scene in the finished game similar to the E3 2014 trailer? (The one everyone thought was pre-rendered).

Wow! I just saw the screenshots from the tsunami in the city and I cannot believe those are realtime!! :-S

edit: this is just to illustrate how hanging around in this thread will lead to spoilers :p In this case I made it up, but if a screenshot is spoiler tagged and people are saying: damn! that is incredible! many could not resist to click it, myself included.

I have sort of good memory with regards to pictures, so in this hypothetical tsunami screenshot case; the moment I would get to the city I would remember the tsunami. So the whole buildup to the scene would be spoiled..

Last edited:
The characters in this shot has completely lost their SSS solution (like pretty much all games except Far Cry Primal), the ears on Drake are painted SSS because you don't see that kind of light bleeding on any of the arms, neck, hands, etc.. or even in his partner. The use of self occlusion is gone (check arms to shirt, or gun to shirt). And while the foliage looks nice, you can still spot them as sprite cards. The wood lacks fine detail (probably due to the texture filtering limitations), tree branches have no tessellation, and the ground becomes muddled the further out you look (indicating much lower res textures). I am more impressed with Far Cry: Primal's foliage jungle and it's in-game SSS solution for the characters (they literally look like most games in-game cinematics although it falters on the in-game character models hands *sigh*).

352DA68F591C44F788A8D3E34D56F53D9B42694A

To me, it's like every game that comes out has 1 aspect of the big picture done right, but not all. Tomb Raider does self-occlusion correctly (i.e. PC version) but then fails at many other things. MGS5 has the best natural lighting I've seen in a game, but other things miss the mark. FC: Primal, Witcher 3, Quantum Break etc.. all have one strong point but misses in others. No one game has all special graphics features so far that I would consider as top in graphics. And that's simply because the hardware isn't there yet.
M9Jaae.png

oaWF0k.png

dOG8b7.png

NVRzNE.png

zoomed in photo-mode gameplay screen

The skin shader is not that good especially when there's a bright light source (similar to Quantum Break)... and the "dead fish" eyes aren't the best either..

Surprised by the horrendous normal map here and low poly. I'm guessing that they are also not using tessellation in the game for the environment (all photo mode) :-x
lIBcWX.png

RWb6lp.png

A good one with really nice foliage (yes low AF like 90% of the console games..but the shadows LOD is really good)

gIuZ7Z.png

Why no reflections Naughty Dog ? :(

jH6EJ8.png

Last edited:
Can a mod add a spoiler tag in Egmon83's post? Oh and yeah some surfaces in the Madagascar area are not meant to be looked up close, that looks bad up close but i guess it seems detailed from a distance or when driving :D

@Clukus
The theme is super but I like Nate's Theme from 1-3 even more. But compared to 4 they all sound similar. Because of that 4 sounds new. Ist a new Generation of Uncharted.

Naughy Dogs AA is really good. December 2014 I had a little consideration here. The sharpness is also good for TAA.

@Ike Turner
I also thought of GTA V but I have not played it for some time. Therefore, I was unsure.

Battlefront has issues as well, let's not pretend that geometry is everything (something that could change from location to location with open and less open areas in Uncharted 4). As for GTA V that's why i was asking here, i haven't played much of the game.

Two screens from the PSX 2014 area
http://i.imgur.com/td23wYt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ie8OiOt.png

I think anybody who is trying to downplay how good this looks is grasping at straws, sorry.
Nobody's downplaying how good it looks. But primarily trying to put hyperbolic reactions in check given that ND games apparently have some kind of reality distortion field surrounding them. If people can't criticized it then what's the point of this discussion? Just gushing about how it's the best looking/most advanced game ever even thought it's clearly not the case?

You know i agree criticizing is okay and should be done for every title, i do it myself for U4. But you also have to take into account the whole image, these two screens looks absolutely insane for the hardware they are running on.

You know i agree criticizing is okay and should be done for every title, i do it myself for U4. But you also have to take into account the whole image, these two screens looks absolutely insane for the hardware they are running on.
Well, I would argue that they are artistically really good but technically there are far more impressive shots/scenes of UC4 (and many other PS4/Xbox games). The poly count in those is seriously low but that doesn't take away from the overall greatness of the scene in terms of presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back