All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some things to note. PC game releases have exploded in the past couple of years (pg.32) and that is Steam only and doesn't include other stores that sell games that Steam doesn't sell. Steam active users have more than doubled between 2013 and 2015 (pg.34). Consoles gets less than 25% of the games that PCs get (pg.36). That makes sense since indie games dominate on PC.

Physical game releases (physical only + Physical&Digital) are down a lot on consoles and continue to shrink (pg.37). Digital is still going strong and growing. Note this is releases and not revenue. Digital looks to be ~24% for console revenue (pg.51). This all makes sense as digital titles are dominated by indie titles which are far cheaper so generate less revenue although profit potential is far greater (low dev cost + no manufacturing/packaging/shipping/retail split costs).

PC game revenue is growing. F2P, subs, B2P are growing as a separate segment. (pg.47)

For consoles, 12% of Retail (physical) titles generate 75% of retail (physical) revenue (pg.53). This was mostly known but bears repeating. Physical Retail products in general lose money for publishers.

And finally, the data is only worth as much as you trust the organization putting it out. But they seem to include data from NPD so it's probably mostly accurate.

Also it is a golden age for gaming on PC. Especially if you have an old PC that can't run AAA games. There are a ton of absolutely fantastic indie games constantly being released on PC. It's hard to keep track of them all. Many of those also eventually get to consoles so there is fun for everyone. :) And as consoles transition more and more to a digital platform, expect to see more simultaneous indie game releases on console.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Zhuge posted this on twitter, Gamestop share =40% of software, 34% overall for all physical products, hardware+software+accesories

CgHiZVdXIAAEnE0.jpg

I didn't know it was that high.

40 mil PS4's, not sure what NPD is but it's still very close to 3-1 maybe a bit over. These ratios work fantastically (~3:1 for Sony and ~2:1 for MS).

This quarter Jan-March I have ps4 for 965k NPD and they shipped 2.3, so it was well under 3-1 there but we should expect this to possibly vary quite a bit over the short term.

Edit: PS4 was actually down a tiny bit quarter over quarter too, Jan-March 2015=2.4. Likely they maybe overshipped a bit Sep-Dec.

Interesting stuff as the PS4 "era" winds down so quickly (PSVR/PS4K/NX/XBO2).

40 mil PS4's, not sure what NPD is but it's still very close to 3-1 maybe a bit over. These ratios work fantastically (~3:1 for Sony and ~2:1 for MS).

This quarter Jan-March I have ps4 for 965k NPD and they shipped 2.3, so it was well under 3-1 there but we should expect this to possibly vary quite a bit over the short term.

Edit: PS4 was actually down a tiny bit quarter over quarter too, Jan-March 2015=2.4. Likely they maybe overshipped a bit Sep-Dec.

On a french website, Philip cardon vice president of Sony Interactive Entertainment south Europe said Sony executives expect to sell more PS4 this year than in 2015.

http://m.challenges.fr/article/2016...oi-2016-est-une-annee-cruciale-pour-sony.html

The PS4 era isn't winding down because of new products/skus... the "press reset button" as some would like isn't happening soon. PS4 Slim isn't even out... and the Neo is still a PS4 (just with more grunt). But yes, no winding down...

Hitting that 51-52 million mark should be quite easy now, factoring in PSVR and PS4 Neo. I'm predicting 55 million units between PS4/PS4 Neo and maybe 2-2.5 million PSVRs to be sold by years end.

I am french and he talks about PS4 not the NEO, he even hint about NEO in another question...

He said 2016 will be a year of growth for PS4 sales...

The PS4 will be 299 euros/dollars before end of the year or maybe 249 euros/dollars but I don't think they can reach this price with the base PS4...

I am french and he talk about PS4 not the NEO, he even hint about NEO in another question...

He said 2016 will be a year of growth for PS4 sales...

I got all that. And of course he isn't going to mention anything about Neo - yet. But it doesn't take a genius to know that Sony will lump all their PS4/Neo sales together. The platform is still PS4...

And the PSVR platform will definitely help push sales of the PS4 platform (PS4/Neo).

Contrary to US, In Europe they are still officially selling the PS4 399€ with one game currently (349€ with no game). No wonder they are a bit down this quarter. They are too greedy. After 2 years and a half people are waiting for the real price cut.

529,000 million Yen == 529 billion Yen. Edit - Okay, the original tweets are typos (we've all done it!). The numbers given are thousands of millions of yen which is what Zhuge misquoted.

Last edited:
The ZhugeEX tweet is false PSN and Nintendo nuber are billion of yen not millions of yen.

...reading the linked sony document is too much of an effort to ask before writing "false" in a forum?

Network 200,229 69,253 71,123 102,025 109,066 351,467 105,801 111,534 152,067 159,916 529,318
(Mln Yen)

The original tweet was indeed false and was deleted by Zhuge. Zhuge made a mistake, not @chris1515 who correctly read both the original tweet and Sony doc....

if you take the time to actually read sony docs, you would see that I copy/pasted from the original presentation slides in the sony.net, which is -again- stated in millions of yen (529,318).

For nintendo numbers, I don't know as I didnt check them.
edit----
just checked: net sales 504,459 in million of yen, again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back