[audio] setup for PS4 and some other general discussion maybe

Egmon83

Regular
I first had to fix my pond; it was leaking water and I thought I should close down it but then I saw some frogs so I had to restore the pond. But now that that's settled, It's time to play some games!!!

So while I was setting up my 6.1 setup (real 6.1, not some mini-speaker home video level sh*t), I thought, should I really setup all the rear speakers??
I don't want to have to have the couch detached from the wall the whole year, while I might only play U4 and FF XV this year, all other (indie) games can be played through the DS4-headphone. As for movies, I'd rather go to the cinema. Maybe Game of Thrones?

How do you guys have your PS4 setup?
Headphones, speakers, or just the TV?

Maybe some games have really great sound design and those could push me over the edge..

I just meant that it's an old Yamaha receiver which can drive large speakers :p
As opposed to something like this
803e2ff56ce886eeb4b11d0edcbb5e71.jpg

Of course I set the correct distance/delay for the speakers and I am going to tweak the dynamic range and everything. When I turn off all the rear speakers, the rear channels get mixed back in I think (at least according to the manual). so it's not like I would lose sound information

I'm lost as to the topic of conversation. Are you wanting advice on how to set up your PS4, in which case you only want feedback from those with surround systems? Or are you wanting general discusison on how people handle audio in their games, in which case why limit yourself to PS4?

As best I can determine, your question is whether you should set up your 6.1 for surround sound. Well, why'd you get it if you don't want surround with the rear speakers? If that's the point of getting it, fit it and move the couch when you want it. If you only got the system for audio and don't care for surround, save yourself the bother and use surround headphones when you want surround.

How do you guys have your PS4 setup?
I have a Sonos soundbar plus a pair of Play1 rears and a sub, making it a (relatively) 5.1 system, but then of course my TV won't passthrough dolby digital from the HDMI inputs, so I get fuckall in the way of surround sound out of it! :( Well, unless I'm watching a TV broadcast of course, and I like, never watch TV, except for the evening news.

So basically I need a new TV, that can throughput DD properly, except the one I have is still fairly new, just a couple years old, so there's no good reason to buy another one. Certainly with 4k TVs still fairly pricey, and no material to watch on it even if I had one. So I'll soldier on as I am. I do get great sound though, just not proper 5.1. Sonos gear really is quite good, albeit rather pricey.

Does Xbox one have audio calibration? If it does, then problem solved. Eggman can just buy xbox one to calibrate.

As a bonus, it also have display calibration.

Some high end receiver/amp/whatever also can do auto calibration as long as you have stereo mic or high quality mic, I can't remember.

I has not personally do all those assisted or auto calibration using xbox one or receiver. I only have done using windows' auto audio calibration and it does make the sound better.

OK, this might be slightly offtopic,
But plenty on topic too..

PS4 connected to TV via HDMI, receiver via optical ( spdif)

When using my PS4 as a media player ( plex) i seem to get DTS audio for pretty much everything.
But i noticed than when i put in the new star wars Blu-ray, i am not getting DTS on the receiver?
I am pretty sure other Blu-ray discs give me proper DTS audio?

Is it because the star wars blu-ray is actually 7.1 DTS-HD?

My normal Blu-ray player manages to give the receiver a DTS stream, again via optical...
so why not the PS4?

Cheers, for any insight.

@Shifty Geezer I use Kenwood bookshelf style speakers for my center and rear speakers. They are pretty big, but having them attached to the wall would not matter that much I guess. they are above head level anyway so it's not that somebody is going to bump into them when sitting on the (put to the wall) couch.

I played Bioshock infinite and the last of us (which have great sound design) on stereo and I still enjoyed them immensely, so that is why I was questioning drilling holes in the wall which took me a lot of time to paint (and make free of previous holes :-0 )

@Grall that sucks :( My guess is you don't have room for a (temporary) dedicated receiver? Then the problem could be solved although you'd miss out on HDMI audio. Come to think of it; maybe that is the problem!! The TV receiving the uncompressed HDMI audio; maybe limit the PS4 to the old DTS and Dolby formats? Or connect the PS4 directly through optical?

@orangepelumpa U4 is not on Xbox One, and I can calibrate the system myself without the need for MS products (well I did have my W10 tablet with the receiver manual on it next to me yesterday :p )

@vjPiedPiper no idea... I remember some star wars blu rays not having any 'regular'DTS audio tracks, but if the BD player can output in DTS, maybe it's creating the DTS mix itself?

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
French (Canada): Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1

I have a 5.1 system, or a 7.1, if you count the Dolby Pro Logic IIx / Audyssey Front Height speakers, which imo don't really add a lot to the soundfield, maybe Atmos or DTS:X are better...
I have my sofa on the back wall, the 2 rear surround speakers essentially directly at the sides a couple of meters from main seating position, slightly angled away from the rear wall.
I mostly game at night and use regular stereo headphones. Don't really miss surround sound in games. Maybe in some fps games or horror games I find surround useful and athmospheric.

My computer (via 6 channel analog), PS4, PS3 and Dish all go to an old Onkyo receiver, the latter 3 via optical. I have 6.1 channel speaker set up, but I believe for equipment of this vintage the rear center channel is just matrixed out from the left and rear. Games and films still give pretty good directional audio, though. PS4 usually sends a DTS signal except for movies that only have AC3. Both DTS-HD and the new Dolby Digital formats carry legacy bitstreams that are passed to older equipment when needed. I got DTS with the Force Awakens Blu-ray. *shrug*

I have a set of Sony MDR-V6 headphones I plug into the front of the receiver when needed.

@Grall that sucks :( My guess is you don't have room for a (temporary) dedicated receiver?
A receiver is overkill and a waste of money since my speakers all have their own integrated amplifiers.

The TV receiving the uncompressed HDMI audio; maybe limit the PS4 to the old DTS and Dolby formats? Or connect the PS4 directly through optical?
Nah, it doesn't matter; the TV only outputs stereo bitstream through the optical out; it doesn't matter what I pipe in through the HDMI inputs. :) Besides, PS4 lacks an option to output Dolby Digital only through HDMI.

I could connect PS4 straight to my soundbar of course, bypassing the TV, but then the TV would have to rely on its awful-crappy built-in speakers. ...Of course, since I watch TV so rarely, maybe that wouldn't be a very big problem. HMM...! :p

A receiver is overkill and a waste of money since my speakers all have their own integrated amplifiers.

Nah, it doesn't matter; the TV only outputs stereo bitstream through the optical out; it doesn't matter what I pipe in through the HDMI inputs. :) Besides, PS4 lacks an option to output Dolby Digital only through HDMI.

I could connect PS4 straight to my soundbar of course, bypassing the TV, but then the TV would have to rely on its awful-crappy built-in speakers. ...Of course, since I watch TV so rarely, maybe that wouldn't be a very big problem. HMM...! :p

Free delivery:
http://www.dx.com/nl/p/1-to-2-toslink-optical-audio-splitter-adapter-57602#.VyH-wWMaq7o

thank me later!

thank me later!
Well, a passive splitter like that won't work with two inputs going into one output. What I really need is more like a HDMI port switch with a toslink output, since I also have a wii u, which I never use, but if I theoretically was to use it, I'd get only TV sound from that one as well with optical cable permanently hooked into the PS4...

(Don't bother looking one up for me though; I'm not in the market for one. I have enough gadgets to keep track of as it is. ;))

I thought it could be used in the other direction as well.. but of course the TV would constantly put out a signal

Doesn't ps4 support hdmi arc? It should pass through everything

Edit : actually the TV that need hdmi arc. Not ps

Back