PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they will stick to bumping up to 1080p if it wasn't and hitting a butter smooth 60fps and improving AA if there was still overhead.

So far we're seeing PS4s running ~40FPS for heavier games so hitting 60fps shouldn't be too much of a problem with a 100%+ increase in graphics power.

I think they will stick to bumping up to 1080p if it wasn't and hitting a butter smooth 60fps and improving AA if there was still overhead.

So far we're seeing PS4s running ~40FPS for heavier games so hitting 60fps shouldn't be too much of a problem with a 100%+ increase in graphics power.

True. I think ultimately it will come down to whatever is easiest for developers/qa. A lot of games ship now with day one patches that are performance related. Imagine what it will be like for developers with two different versions. I think they are going to keep it as simple as possible.

Essentially what we see now between PS4 and Xbox One. Same graphics details but different res...
I can't see that being worth it for the platform. Hgiher res at 1080p is going to add a little supersampling, but that's it. Considering some people struggle to notice the difference between 900p and 1080p, is higher-than-native res going to be noticed by anyone? It'd be better to add improved AA at 1080p, but the real difference would be framerate I think. That or massively improved lighting and shaders. If the quality difference is barely the difference between PS4 and XB1, there's little point to a more expensive machine. In that case, I'd argue that the only reason for the Neo is it's cheaper/same price to make and it'l

I think as long as this thing costs a bit more than the original PS4 then the idea that existing buyers lost out would be mitigated a bit. I can't imagine $399 for that reason let alone the fact that Sony would be leaving some higher margins on the table. I say it comes out at $499 minimum but WITH an Move controllers or some other "value add"

The interesting thing will be the GPU and what it says about how Sony thinks about the PS5 is such a creature is to exist. It would seem useful to sell a product with a GPU to have some developer feedback on making Async compute and HSA more useful forward going since that still seems to be the way things are headed.

I can't see that being worth it for the platform. Hgiher res at 1080p is going to add a little supersampling, but that's it. Considering some people struggle to notice the difference between 900p and 1080p, is higher-than-native res going to be noticed by anyone? It'd be better to add improved AA at 1080p, but the real difference would be framerate I think. That or massively improved lighting and shaders. If the quality difference is barely the difference between PS4 and XB1, there's little point to a more expensive machine. In that case, I'd argue that the only reason for the Neo is it's cheaper/same price to make and it'l
That's enough though isn't it? It doesn't matter if the difference is perceptible or not. People coo over 4k screens even when they're running 1080p video, with some horrible motion smoothing algorithm.

You could argue that the PS4k is for the type of consumers who by an S model iPhone despite having the non-S version already.

Some people are just looking for the next hole to fling their disposable income in to. Sony will have some of that please!

I say it comes out at $499 minimum but WITH an Move controllers or some other "value add"

I think $500 would be a large price to put on an "iterative" console...also force-bundling move controllers with console would be a worse move than force-bundling the Kinect with the Xbox One was..

I could possibly see $425-$450 range...

That's enough though isn't it? It doesn't matter if the difference is perceptible or not. People coo over 4k screens even when they're running 1080p video, with some horrible motion smoothing algorithm.

You could argue that the PS4k is for the type of consumers who by an S model iPhone despite having the non-S version already.

Some people are just looking for the next hole to fling their disposable income in to. Sony will have some of that please!
True, but I doubt that's a large market for a console.

Or child who must have the best thingy at Christmas.

Or the child who convinces their parents to spend an extra £200 as it'll help them more with their homework (admittedly, this worked better in Amiga and ST era)

I think $500 would be a large price to put on an "iterative" console...also force-bundling move controllers with console would be a worse move than force-bundling the Kinect with the Xbox One was..

I could possibly see $425-$450 range...

I did suggest "some value add" but the move controller would need the camera as a pack-in so maybe just the camera ?? $479 then :) I just have this feeling that if they care about existing users feelings then creating story about introducing a high end system is better than putting a newer better version of what you have already bought into play. The more different the price or the more distinctive the less of a "Ah I Missed Out" feeling you may get, there will be plenty of that to go around no matter what.

Sure a higher price will lower the numbers sold but pushing the value end of things isn't going to help Sony's profitability. They already have the market share so why not test the waters with a higher end product ?? It's not about the consumer applying logic it's about a narrative ;-)

True, but I doubt that's a large market for a console.

The desire of customers to buy the next game/experience to fill a void is the only thing that keeps consoles alive.:yep2:
PSNeo is the next big thing that it's worth spending money into in the console scenario...til it also gets unprofitable/boring.

Well maybe also the NintendoNx;)

Last edited:
Honestly, even if the enhanced software doesn't sell, as long as the enhanced console does they'll likely be fine. The rest of their own games will likely sell fine as well as the revenue from the licensing fees they charge publishers...

I just can't see Sony failing on this one. Making less money than they intend to or want to, yeah, but failing? No.

there's no separate enhanced software. Same disk/digital-copy will identify if running on ps4anderson or ps4neo and adapt acordingly.

It apparently has doubled the CU count, but there's more to the GPU than that, and more to the system than the GPU.
Bandwidth, geometry throughput, fill rate, CPU power, hard disk IO, and other elements lie outside the CU count and could bottleneck performance gains.
If some of the efficiency changes with newer GPUs do make it into Neo, then some of them do not always lead to gains.
Any other changes, like the alleged change in memory allocation, might break something.
At a minimum, Sony would want a patch so that a game that might hit some corner case or low-level feature gets a once-over to make sure it doesn't have a problem with the new mode.

only thing which I don't like about PS4K is necessity of patch to get PS4 games run better (at 60fps) on PS4K, it should be without developer intervention
The only way that would be possible is when the game is developed for an uncertain spec so it makes use of any extra powah lying around. And that changes the whole console development mantra, and I don't want that to change..

I don't know how Sony can possibly say "no gameplay enhancements" while pushing for higher framerates. Surely 60fps instead of 30 is a humongous gameplay enhancement that changes the game quite a lot.
They aren't pushing for higher framerates. They are requiring framerates that at least match. There's a difference.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

They aren't pushing for higher framerates. They are requiring framerates that at least match. There's a difference.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
True but with 2.3x of power under the hood, if you're keeping it 30fps what exactly would you do with it? 4k is gonna be too much, so basically drastically increasing AA, AF, shadow res, particle res, texture res, better LOD and maybe some fancy gpu fluid sim? Are we sure that's enough improvements to feed the kaio ken x 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back