PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If by people you mean devs and publishers, they will make games for platforms which have a large market share. Even assuming Sony changed their ruleset to allow PS4 Neo-only games (which is a huge ask), and PS4 Neo sells as many units as the base PS4 has from launch (so PS4 base and PS4 Neo units sold are 50:50 - an even bigger ask) what developer/publisher is going to consciously decide to target only half of the PS4 market and therefore limit their sales potential?

Also, Xbox One owners exist and like to buy games, too.

Not sure if this is touched on but if Neo is using Polaris core then the efficiency per watt should be much better right? So does that mean you get even more performance on top of a 2.3x raw power increase?

Those are two unrelated concepts. You basically just asked if the new Ford sedan getting 5 more miles per gallon means that the 50HP boost to the engine is actually more like 75HP.

Did I just make a good car analogy?

I think the biggest complaining will come from Neo owners, is this all they can do with 4Tflops, type of thing. In my mind there's no way devs will target it over the base PS4.

Expect a better image quality and say if a PS4 game drops to like 25 fps the Neo will stay locked at 30. I suspect particle effects and shadows will get a nice boost. The CPU limits the potential fps boost.

I think the biggest complaining will come from Neo owners, is this all they can do with 4Tflops, type of thing. In my mind there's no way devs will target it over the base PS4.

Expect a better image quality and say if a PS4 game drops to like 25 fps the Neo will stay locked at 30. I suspect particle effects and shadows will get a nice boost. The CPU limits the potential fps boost.
Why would the cpu affect the fps boost?

Last edited:
Looking at the PC side with "DX12" -level titles, a 970 would certainly be matched by supposed lower power AMD equivalents.

Anyway, this would put PS4Neo at 970 level performance.

No, in a modern benchmark suite with the latest drivers the GTX 970 is roughly 50% faster than the 380x on average at 1080p:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_XtremeGaming/23.html

Granted, on paper the 380x may only be around 95% as fast as the PS4K and if the new playstation is sporting a Polaris based architecture then that could make it more performant than the specs suggest, but it's still a huge stretch to assume it will end up 50% faster than a 380x with more or less the same specs.

A 970 is +330 euro in my country. A PS4 currently is 349. PS4Neo could cost 499 or 549 and still be cheap compared to a Steam Machine.

While I don't doubt the PS4K will offer great value for money (just like the current PS4), the comparison to todays 970 prices are flawed. By the time PS4K launches the 970 will have been displaced in it's performance category by the 1070 which will likely be around 50% faster, thus pushing the 970's price down into midrange price territory (£155 for the 960 today). Clearly PS4K will be cheaper than a new full PC of equivalent performance though.

Yep, all the way to 2018...........

Can you explain a bit more?

I have a PC with a 780, but I am a filthy peasant who wants to play Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted 4 and Horizon, and I'm a big fan of Gran Turismo. Personally I'm getting the best of both worlds if they come out with this mid-gen product. I end up with zero reason to upgrade my PC

Why would you have more reason to upgrade your PC when it's already 2x faster than your console compared with when it's only a few percent faster than your console? Surely the opposite would apply?

My last PC games was... Magic Carpet

Wow I had forgot that game even existed! It had crazy good graphics in its day, even though I could only run it at about 8 fps!

Oh snap! Straight to PS9...

Day one purchase! Two to be exact...

I wonder how far you can travel away from telepathy path before communication breaks? I don't want to get finger prints all over my balls... :no::mrgreen:

ps9-640x353.jpg

It'll be interesting if they go to an irregular release schedule where they release something new every time the AMD or whatever vendor they choose bumps their architecture. It's going to be an interesting E3, for sure. Right now the reaction is not good, but that could change quickly.

I'm trying to remember all of the annoying youtube personalities people go to for gaming news, to see what shit their shoveling to their followers.

Will it be possible to switch HW vendors? What happens if AMD goes under? Or PVR/nVidia offer an uber advanced tech at better economy?

Will it be possible to switch HW vendors? What happens if AMD goes under? Or PVR/nVidia offer an uber advanced tech at better economy?

I don't know. Microsoft is definitely in a better position to do that because of abstraction, but I can't see how Sony would go with an incremental upgrade model, or whatever you want to call it, and limit themselves to just AMD.

Why would you have more reason to upgrade your PC when it's already 2x faster than your console compared with when it's only a few percent faster than your console? Surely the opposite would apply?
The smaller the difference between my consoles and my PC, the fewer reasons I have to keep my PC up to date with recommended games specs. I would just buy all my games on console and never upgrade my PC again.

During the PS3 gen, the reason I continued to buy some games on PC was because the gap became large enough that MMOs were only a good experience on PC. This would not happen anymore with mid-gen upgrades.

My 780 isn't even the minimum required for PCVR. I preordered Vive because I would upgrade my 780 in the next year or two, and get nicer visuals on PC. But with the much better efficiency of the PSVR platform combined with a mid-gen upgrede, spending $2500 CAD for just a little better is becoming a stupid expense.... then a few years later we get PS5 anyway.

Last edited:
Why would the cpu affect the fps boost?
Well most aaa games running at 30 FPS wont have much cpu headroom to go much above that I assume and the Neo CPU didn't get enough of a boost but I could be wrong.

Also it gets a bit dicy if one runs at 30FPS in multiplayer and the other runs at 60FPS, I wonder if Sony would allow that?

But with the much better efficiency of the PSVR platform combined with a mid-gen upgrede,

Fair enough on the rest but I don't accept that PSVR 'has much better efficiency' than PCVR. Lower resolution and lower native frame rate require less performance, but that's a compromise, not greater efficiency. Obviously not one for this thread though.

While I accept that many people would prefer to game on console for reasons unrelated to graphics and price, it is worth considering the cost aspect of your situation. Given you already have the base PC with a CPU no doubt already more powerful than that of PS4K, the value proposition for you (and anyone else in a similar situation) is actually worse via the console route, i.e. you'd be paying $400(?) for a new console with performance approaching that of a GTX 780 (non Ti), where you could spend that same $400 on a GPU which by PS4K's launch will likely get you GTX 980Ti level performance (~2x as fast) and have money left over for a game or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back