PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were sony, I'd be worried about ign's and neogaf's negative reaction to this.
They are put in a difficult position since we are probably still 11ish months away from planned launch assuming in comes out Q1 2017. I think if at E3 they get Mark Cerney to come out and talk about why they are offering another choice to gamers while reassuring existing PS4 owners it may go over well. Also some type of upgrade program might not hurt.

I know true 4K will be impossible, but upscaling is going to be a good option. My question lies around the specs. From my understanding the PS4 is incredibly bottlenecked by its CPU. So I am surprised to see only a slight speed bump, yet they have gone with what looks like to be Polaris GPU.

Will the GPU really make much difference to raw fps? Will it help with things such as shadow resolution in The Division as I always thought this was cpu intensive?

If I were sony, I'd be worried about ign's and neogaf's negative reaction to this.
I think it's difficult for either of these communities to just flip on a dime. They've committed. While I agree managing social media/expectations are huge going into each generation (a lesson now well learned by just about everyone in the game industry) - I think it's fair to say that if Sony isn't delivering people aren't going to snap switch over to a competitor. I can't see them snap switching back to MS, perhaps Nintendo, but not if performance is really as important as the internet has made it out to be.

Sony in the Netherlands, and rest of Europe probably, is selling "2nd hand" PS4's, officially repackaged (it says on the box) with 12 months guarantee and a notice that there might be signs of use. They are selling those in stores
Maybe there will be a trade-in program?

With ICO the first generation PS2 models would have severe slowdown when you applied the post-processing filters. I can't find any source :p

I can't see them snap switching back to MS.
It's a pretty laughable notion IMO. "Sony have released a new PS4 version. Now I don't want my PS4. I'll sell it and buy an XB1 with noneof the library or presumably games I wanted to play that got me to buy a PS4 in the first place." As if the primary reason for owning a console is there isn't a faster family member option, and the introduction of such renders the original purchase worthless and unwanted!

It's a pretty laughable notion IMO. "Sony have released a new PS4 version. Now I don't want my PS4. I'll sell it and buy an XB1 with noneof the library or presumably games I wanted to play that got me to buy a PS4 in the first place." As if the primary reason for owning a console is there isn't a faster family member option, and the introduction of such renders the original purchase worthless and unwanted!
Yup, it's certainly going to be challenging for MS to get those users back, their best method would obviously to get more and more of those AAA studios to go forward with EA Access style subscriptions (to rapidly build up new users library with minimal investment).
But I just don't see it, and with recent rumours of NX doubling down on first party (and not so much of 3rd party) I can't see any reason for an existing PS4 user to switch away from PS just because Neo is released. Sony would have to boil blood badly (really badly) for that to happen.

I think one of the major reasons for the upgrade and forwards/backwards compatibility is to make sure playstation remains the bleeding edge console so that there is never a "better" option. Forwards/backwards compatibility and digital ownership will keep people locked into PSN, and if the hardware is always "the best" then there will never be a good reason to go elsewhere. The problem with the 8 year cycle is (as Sony had with PS3 and Microsoft had with Xbox One), if you miss on price and performance it takes 8 full years to correct. Now that they're following typical PC hardware, the upgrade points should be well known. Like with phones, we reasonably know when the next big performance jumps are coming, based on the roadmaps of the chip makers. If Playstation stays on top of it, there will never be room for Microsoft to beat them on performance, unless they take a big risk like releasing a console that costs $50-$100 more, or accept a big loss on hardware units.

Why are folks still taking this news to be an indication of Sony switching away from the traditional generational HW model, to one of iterative HW with forward and backwards compatibility?

It may well be an indication towards that but its by no means conclusive. I can still see PS5 launching in two to four years time being fully BC, but not allowing PS4/4k forwards compatibility. That's far more ideal in my mind. Forwards compatibility is the devil. The whole idea sucks. Forwards compatibility between "stop-gap" iterations like the PS4k is fine, but only as long as a substantial upgrade comes along later on down the line and provides a new, fresh baseline for devs to target.

Why are folks still taking this news to be an indication of Sony switching away from the traditional generational HW model, to one of iterative HW with forward and backwards compatibility?

It may well be an indication towards that but its by no means conclusive. I can still see PS5 launching in two to four years time being fully BC, but not allowing PS4/4k forwards compatibility. That's far more ideal in my mind. Forwards compatibility is the devil. The whole idea sucks. Forwards compatibility between "stop-gap" iterations like the PS4k is fine, but only as long as a substantial upgrade comes along later on down the line and provides a new, fresh baseline for devs to target.

So in your model you buy a PS4.5 for $400 and it's good for three to four years before becoming obsolete? And that's the best way? Sounds like a shit deal. That would be my biggest worry about buying this thing.

Forwards compatibility is not the devil. It means you get to keep all of your games from one system to the next, instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I think there's the distinct possibility that even at 10nm we're not going to be able to deliver that huge upgrade. The next PS may only be another 2X increase in GPU performance from PS4K. If that's the case, there's no point in cutting of PS4K users, just drop the oldest SKU.

Consoles API might be too low level (or too specific, think XOne ESRAM) to allow for forward compatible devices at this time.
(You'd need to have some level of abstraction, clearly Vulkan show it's possible to address a wide range of hardware while still being relatively low level, and with time we'll know how efficient it is.)
[I'm assuming that you want your old games running on your new hardware with better performance and/or quality.]

I think there's the distinct possibility that even at 10nm we're not going to be able to deliver that huge upgrade. The next PS may only be another 2X increase in GPU performance from PS4K. If that's the case, there's no point in cutting of PS4K users, just drop the oldest SKU.

That makes the most sense, and forwards compatibility basically encourages users to stay with PSN.

Forwards compatibility may not be something publishers really want.

They have to have an incentive to develop games for the new hardware.

Maybe they don't patch their games to make older games look better on new hardware. Instead they'd prefer the remixes that they can sell for $40.

Consoles API might be too low level (or too specific, think XOne ESRAM) to allow for forward compatible devices at this time.
(You'd need to have some level of abstraction, clearly Vulkan show it's possible to address a wide range of hardware while still being relatively low level, and with time we'll know how efficient it is.)
[I'm assuming that you want your old games running on your new hardware with better performance and/or quality.]

If GNM is too low-level to ensure forwards compatibility then I wouldn't touch PS4.5 with a ten foot pool. The much better deal would be to buy the PS4 for cheap when PS4.5 is released.

Yup, it's certainly going to be challenging for MS to get those users back, their best method would obviously to get more and more of those AAA studios to go forward with EA Access style subscriptions (to rapidly build up new users library with minimal investment).
But I just don't see it, and with recent rumours of NX doubling down on first party (and not so much of 3rd party) I can't see any reason for an existing PS4 user to switch away from PS just because Neo is released. Sony would have to boil blood badly (really badly) for that to happen.

I don't think consoles are very interesting with a console every three years. Buy a good PC and stay with it 8 or 9 years...

Game development is too expensive to not have multi year transitions like we have seen on Xbox360, PS3 -> Xbox One, PS4. Look at all the remasters and cross over games we have seen in the first couple of years into this gen. Game publishers can't abandon the huge install base of the previous gen overnight.

Sony is only trying to make it easier.

If GNM is too low-level to ensure forwards compatibility then I wouldn't touch PS4.5 with a ten foot pool. The much better deal would be to buy the PS4 for cheap when PS4.5 is released.
If this using a Polaris GPU then Sony must have figured out how to get games to run without issues...

So in your model you buy a PS4.5 for $400 and it's good for three to four years before becoming obsolete? And that's the best way? Sounds like a shit deal. That would be my biggest worry about buying this thing.
Forwards compatibility is not the devil. It means you get to keep all of your games from one system to the next, instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

That's backward compatibility, not forward. Forward is when your old hardware can play the next gen games without issue.

That's backward compatibility, not forward. Forward is when your old hardware can play the next gen games without issue.

Yes, I know. That's what I'm saying. If I buy a PS4.5 for $400 and then three to four years later PS5 comes out and it's a totally different platform, then PS4.5 wasn't a very good deal. If you bought a late-gen PS3 it may have only lasted you two or three years before PS4 came out, but you probably only paid $200-250 for it.

Forwards compatibility would ensure that I'd get probably six years out of a PS4.5 because it would run the PS5 games, making it a much better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back