PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't specifically say UHD Bluray. Even Netflix/Amazon 4K+HDR support would be nice. But why go through the trouble of releasing this new platform, and then ignore the new Bluray standard? Doesn't seem very Sony of them.

Well i have some bad news..

From article:
"In our original piece on PS4K, we suggested that Sony may be looking to add support for higher colour gamuts and high-dynamic range - part and parcel of the new UHD 4K spec and definitely supported in upcoming Radeon hardware from AMD. It is not mentioned at all in Sony's documentation, though the support should be there as the platform holder will be using AMD's display blocks. The omission says to us that it's simply not a priority at this time."

I really hope this part is wrong. I want HDR support.

Again, for a company like Sony, that would be a complete and utter tragedy not to include these new standards, seeing how the hardware is targeting people with enough knowledge and finances to know and buy into new technologies like 4K and HDR. I'm sure this will be ratified.

How do you explain more available memory? Maybe this time around the secondary helper CPU actually works, and is fast enough for the OS side of things so it can work with its own RAM, freeing up the GDDR?

How do you explain more available memory? Maybe this time around the secondary helper CPU actually works, and is fast enough for the OS side of things so it can work with its own RAM, freeing up the GDDR?
Yes I was thinking about something like that: it would be stupid not to overclock the secondary ARM CPU. They could even add some ddr3 sdram to it.

If NEO version is just resolution boost I am out. I still have a 720p tv. Each time i play my PS4 games i think about the wasted power going for not enjoyed pixels boost... Imagine buying a PS4K with 4K native games (that could led to even worse frame rates) and still playing in a 720p tv...

You say this...

If Ms goes all in with the ZEN, HBM and all the sauces (as per Phil Spencer last claims could be thought) there will be a lot of "hardcores" jumping ships, me the first.

Yet...

You sound confused.:yep2:

A hardcore gamer with a 720p TV, who refused to buy the PS4-Neo because the resolution would be to great... yet purchased the hypothetical more powerful XB1 upgrade. Some of you guy's are a riot... :LOL:

200.gif

Is this thing actually about preemptive strike on NX? They dont want them to have better versions of any games

I assume many games that arent sandbox/cpu heavy will just be 60fps on this vs standard PS4. If its already 60fps or they cant get there just better details.

For PSVR for sure it will be much better than standard PS4 versions

I am still bummed by the mild CPU overclock. They really can't overclock it a little bit higher even at 16nm? I was expecting like 2.5ghz.

They overclocked the GPU at 911Mhz. That shows spirit IMO. Neither 900 nor 910mhz! Apparently they found this nice car optimal number.

Couldn't they make a little effort on the CPU? Like 2111mhz? even 2101mhz would show that they are trying to push the hardware at some kind of virtual limit... I don't like this rounded 2.1ghz number.

There is only room for two consoles when it comes to running the latest AAA games imo. Unless Microsoft completely bows out I think Nintendo continues to get shunned by third party publishers no matter how powerful their console is.

Didn't see the DF article posted in here.

Revealed: Sony's plan for PlayStation 4K - codename Neo

CPU: The good news is that there will be a CPU upgrade over the lacklustre x86 cores found in PlayStation 4. The bad news is that the cores themselves have not been changed at all - they have simply been overclocked from 1.6GHz to 2.1GHz - a 31 per cent improvement. As with the current PlayStation 4, one core and a time-slice from another is reserved for the operating system.

Memory: We're still at 8GB of GDDR5, with a 24 per cent boost to bandwidth compared to the original PS4. The current machine uses 5.5gbps memory modules. Basic maths suggests that Sony has pushed this to the same 7.0gbps modules we see on high-end graphics cards like the GTX 980 and GTX 980 Ti. There are some concerns here. The boost to bandwidth isn't exactly huge, it will still be in contention with CPU utilisation (they both share the same interface), and the bandwidth doesn't scale particularly well with the mooted GPU boost, which - to be frank - is massive.

GPU: This is the most exciting aspect of the spec. Compute unit count doubles from 18 to 36, and clock-speed increases from 800MHz to 911MHz - a 14 per cent increase. That's an overall increase of 2.3x in FLOPs. The question is, what technology is being used here? AMD has created both of its current-gen console processors so far by taking older, off-the-shelf components and disabling a couple of compute units. In effect, Xbox One got the Radeon HD 7790, while PlayStation 4 got a more capable, semi-custom Radeon HD 7870. Here's where things get interesting - the 36 compute unit count cannot comfortably fit any of AMD's existing GPUs. It suggests that Sony and AMD have pushed the boat out, that they are using the upcoming Polaris technology.

Specifically, 36 compute units paired with a 256-bit memory bus sounds uncannily like the rumoured spec for one of two new Radeon graphics chips AMD has in development, codenamed Polaris 10. AMD itself hasn't revealed any official data on this processor yet, but canny enthusiasts have pieced together the spec by isolating Polaris 10's hardware ID from a Linus kernel submission, then comparing it to a Sisoft benchmark run. Curiously, this Polaris test run is carried out with an 800MHz clock-speed and 6gbps GDDR5 memory - a downgrade from the mooted PS4 spec. Some believe it may be the result of pre-production silicon, but it may also be a simulated run for a laptop variant of the processor where lower clocks are a prerequisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back