PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but the reason Sony rejected EA Access would be similar to the reason they would reject Steam Link functionality. Maybe Steam should make a web client for Steamlink without having to worry about platform approval if they actually care about something like this.

No, but the reason Sony rejected EA Access would be similar to the reason they would reject Steam Link functionality. Maybe Steam should make a web client for Steamlink without having to worry about platform approval if they actually care about something like this.

I'm not seeing it. A Steam Link would let the PS4 owner use another device they have in their house to use PS4's connected TV and controller. EA Access is a service where all the revenue goes to EA and Sony get no licensing fees. I can entirely see why Sony don't like EA Access but if you already have a gaming PC, you're already buying games for it. Steam Link is merely a convenience.

I can entirely see why Sony don't like EA Access but if you already have a gaming PC, you're already buying games for it.
Game comes out for PC and PS4. Do you buy the Steam version because it's higher quality, or the PS4 version because it's more comfortable and convenient on the TV? If you have a Steam Streaming service on PS4, the choice is obvious and means no sale for Sony for any cross-platform titles.

Game comes out for PC and PS4. Do you buy the Steam version because it's higher quality, or the PS4 version because it's more comfortable and convenient on the TV? If you have a Steam Streaming service on PS4, the choice is obvious and means no sale for Sony for any cross-platform titles.
Not all PC games are available on PS4 and not all PS4 games are on PC. The choice here really isn't any different and the PS4 isn't solving an unsolvable problem. It's providing a convenience. Plus what is the specification of the PC and what games are we talking about? Does the like to trade/sell their games?

The experiences really aren't all that similar.

Why do you want Steam on PS4? To play Steam games. If you had the choice between a cross-platform game (RDR2, say) available on your PC and your PS4, and you have a highly effective streaming client, which would you buy - the cheaper, superior, more portable version, or the console version?

Why do you want Steam on PS4? To play Steam games. If you had the choice between a cross-platform game (RDR2, say) available on your PC and your PS4, and you have a highly effective streaming client, which would you buy - the cheaper, superior, more portable version, or the console version?

Well in addition to the above considerations I guess it depends on the quality of the PC port and it's performance on my PC, whether it was my game or had I borrowed a friend's PS4 disc, whether it has multiplayer or co-op and which platform my friends were on, whether the game was out on PC at all. Whether I want to play the game remotely on my Vita. Will I likely want to suspend the game to resume days/later?

I buy most games on PS4 and yes I can stream Steam to my TV through Kodi. Now throw in PSVR and the fact my PC doesn't meet the recommended PCVR specifications. There are a lot of reasons for me to buy PS4 games over PC games.

Times to move to all physical then. It's a bit more expensive and cumbersome, but St least I can really "have" a game I bought.

Unless somebody breaks in and steals your discs. Time to trade in your cat for a Rottweiler!

This story seems a bit weird. Sony certainly can tell which device was used to make a purchase and probably the IP addresses as well. I found this out when they processed a digital pre-order refund for GTA V for PS3 as I wanted it on disc. I thought I had purchased it on the web store but it was on the PS3 itself and, having flunked the question the first time, they had me confirm the PS3's serial number.

They gave me a full cash refund as well, not PSN store credit but I had to speak to a supervisor. Of course I wasn't claiming fraud, just changing my mind and they had taken the money way earlier than usual.

nah, they think disc are worthless. they will steal everything else :D

i wonder, why sony made the license tied to PSN account validity? in Xbox 360 you still can play your purchased game even after banned.

@goonergaz in my country all PS4 games published by sony around 10-20 USD cheaper in digital than physical.

my country PS Plus for a year also only around 30 USD instead of 50 USD.

Why was my post moved? It belongs in this topic, not wherever you put it. This is the thread for
PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Guessing Neo isn't Orbis, therefore moved to the actual PS4K speculation discussion instead of this museum of a thread.

These super threads are no longer supported. They become to complex to search for real topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back