Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I was connected to another Wifi! Why ignore the connection I've requested to use in favour of an unknown, unconfirmed open Wifi access point?

I haven't had that problem with my Surface 3 (lots of wifi routers in my area). But I do know that MS have been trying to find ways to make connecting to Wifi automatically without user intervention if there are available open Wifi hotspots a thing for users that roam a lot. There should be an option to disable it IIRC, but I haven't looked.

Regards,
SB

Another truly crap Win 10 experience. I'm at someone's home and put in their Wifi details and connect to their Wifi. When I try to access the internet, Windows keeps using the free, open, BT Wifi from someone down the road, where you are taken to a password page. There's nothing I can do to ignore this Wifi option and use the one I'm actually connected to! No option in any setting I try to ignore and block this Wifi option. Ther may be an option somewhere, but how truly shit is that, that the Wifi connection you are connected to isn't the one Windows uses?? That wasted our morning.
easiest way would be, I think, clicking on the connection icon (bottom right) and choose the open network you don't want to use and if you are connected to it click on the iD of said connection and press on Disconnect.

Then click on that network again among the networks that are in your range and uncheck the "Connect automatically" checkbox. That should fix it -never tried. If that doenst work you can always forget the network.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-delete-or-forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-10

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-kill-wi-fi-password-sharing-in-windows-10/#!

But I was connected to another Wifi! Why ignore the connection I've requested to use in favour of an unknown, unconfirmed open Wifi access point?

because that another wifi are considered as friendly.

its here ->

Start
type
wifi settings

scroll down, tap on manage wifi

disable the two checkboxes.

Wifi works in very mysterious ways sometimes.
I have seen many people get the same kind of thing on pretty much every modernish OS.

I have seen many people get the same kind of thing on pretty much every modernish OS.

wifi is weird, can be surprisingly unstable without any reason. But usually can be fixed by a simple driver update or firmware upgrade.

although i never got the problem about wifi connecting itself like that when the auto-connect feature disabled.

easiest way would be, I think, clicking on the connection icon (bottom right) and choose the open network you don't want to use and if you are connected to it click on the iD of said connection and press on Disconnect.
I wasn't connected to it! I was connected to Cheapside_WLAN. However, Windows then used BT_FON when trying to access the internet despite me not being connected to BT_FON. :runaway:So I couldn't disconnect or forget or anything BT_FON because I was never technically connected in the first place.

because that another wifi are considered as friendly.

its here ->

Start
type
wifi settings

scroll down, tap on manage wifi

disable the two checkboxes.
They're disabled. I think what we have here is a bug where maybe these are enabled despite being shown as off, similar to the Airplane mode being lit when not active. Now I think about it, there was a request if I was happy to 'share my details over this network' when first connecting to the home Wifi. That is, I put in my details and password for Cheapside_WLAN and then had this request, which I took to be another security measure. I'm guessing now Windows was auto-connecting to an open network (despite settings saying 'don't use') and I was inadvertantly giving it permission.

Is there a place to bug report this? Is there any point if there's no debug trace to send and just a user experience?

I've never seen a device that can't choose which network to use before.

I've never seen a device that can't choose which network to use before.
iOS's eagerness to connect to any wifi that matches the SSID of a previously connected wifi gives me the willies. I always prune out random APs I've been connected to when I've been out and about to minimize this issue, if I've used wifi at all that is. I have a monthly data cap of 15.5GB on my phone subscription, so usually I prefer to continue wearing on my own data instead of weirdo random APs loaded with gods know what software behind them... I only maxed my cap out once, and that was by mistake, keeping my phone still tethered to my home computer after my regular internet connection had come back up again. :p (Besides, then my cap was only 10GB, so it might not have maxed out at that time had I had my current cap...)[/QUOTE]

@Shifty Geezer have you try try updating the wifi driver and deleting all known wifi networks in windows? i think its on the same menu as that two option about auto connect.

as for bug report, you can type

feedback

on start.

but MS never reply

I really like Windows 10, too bad it didn't come with the 4th option....
761519a95ec6dbfb0e7e77a26924a539.jpg

I heard on the .Net rocks podcast that next up is native Ubuntu support, meaning you can run elfs in Windows 10. Intent of that is to make life easier for developers.

That's a good list of enhancements by the way

yeah, good for those skilled developers.
but for those like me that understand nothing about programming and only can do WYSIWYG programming... nothing changes.

Good.
When will they add the Android app store? These Java applet tiles are fine but they don't have every game or banking app. Microsoft, please fix this.
Also, why should I use my hotmail again? Please provide tile app for MSN Messenger. I can't find it anywhere, I get that you want to push your partnership with that Danish telephony company, but why??!?

Too many problems. 2 stars out of 5

Fullscreen mode in Direct3D8 games on Windows 10

So there is this strange bug with Direct3D8 games on Windows 10 not fullscreening properly. The problem is hardcoded setting in d3d8.dll that forces so called maximized windowed mode. In previous Windows versions, this mode was activated only for certain applications via Windows Application Compatibility Engine's DXMaximizedWindowedMode shim. You can look up which applications are effected with Compatibility Administrator (32-bit), which is part of Windows 10 ADK.

Even if the game looks fullscreen, it's not real fullscreen, the window may just be setup this way that it doesn't have any borders, but the Desktop Window Manager is sill compositing in the background and giving you VSync, whether you want it or not.

Here is fixed d3d8.dll from the current actual Windows 10 Build 10586, I don't know if Insider builds have different base d3d8.dll. You can throw it in the same folder where your game exe resides. Only one byte is modified from 01 to 00. Or you could try replacing the system version, located in \Windows\SysWOW64 directory (or System32 on 32-bit Windows), but I'm not sure if copy paste handles that correctly since d3d8.dll is actually hardlink with another instance of the file stored somewhere under WinSxS. Plus some future update might get confused if it encounters modified system DLL, so I'd rather leave it alone.

If you know how to use OllyDbg, the procedure for fixing it this way is as simple as locating exported function Direct3D8EnableMaximizedWindowedModeShim, then modifying the one and only referenced global variable from 1 to 0. This will make it behave like on older Windowses, so that mode is activated only if instructed so via settings in Compatibility Administrator. I used this trick to get Mafia working right, the only suggested solution until now was using some Direct3D8 -> Direct3D9 wrappers that don't even work right.

Same problem exists with some games using older Direct3D versions since Windows 8, to fix those, you can use Compatibility Administrator and enable DXPrimaryEmulation shim for the game with -DisableMaxWindowedMode parameter.

Pm me your email if you want me to send you the d3d8.dll

So I'm kinda not following that: is that something that is going to be fixed automatically in a future Win10 release or this is a fix we will need to apply manually where needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back