Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't believe how this is all running on a whats basically a netbook....

Anyway, as far as I know, the game doesn't use raytracing, so it's not really that special. I mean, it's basically all smoke and mirrors. < :rolleyes:
Guess there's only so much you can do on a netbook :cool:

KZ2 also had really slow smoke btw.

TuF97gF.gif

It is probably just a cheap trick but good effort on sky box and faking cloud casting shadows.

Skybox is a moving image from what it looks like, shadows from clouds are definitely a trick. Really liking how lighting works with the environment!

hopefully this got released before im out of town so i can buy DD and have it installed. No need to physically bring expensive disk out of town :D

(with PC Remoteplay, i can use my tablet as TV, and PS4 is already small enough to fit on my backpack :D :D)

yeah the game got lots of stuff overhauled. Maybe it got similar problem with destiny?

although in the end it seems Uncharted handled the change of vision and overhaul much better than destiny.

hopefully those guys at tcrf can uncover something.

Can't believe he said Naughty Dog never shipped a game with object LODs before! Is that actually true? I find it hard to believe... Their proxy LOD tech for buildings looks pretty cool too.

I think the main takeaway from the presentation is that due to their flexible tools, inventiveness and hard work, they have a lot of cheap/hacky ways of doing things rather than purpose-built, 'correct' solutions (the kind VFXVeteran will nod approvingly at ;) )

So rather than any amazing technical prowess, in many cases it's simply a result of their attention to detail and dogged determination to put as much into the game as possible that results in incredible details like the flour bags that dynamically spill flour when shot, the wet/muddy skins applied to characters/vehicles (on a location by location basis), wind effects for even Nate's chest hair, his working wristwatch or the fact that when he now switches into his 'fatigued' set of run animations he will also start sweating!

Last edited:
I doubt they had no lod before. The dude probably expressed himself badly. Maybe they didn't have some specific tool or system, but no lodding whatsoever can't be the case. Much like he said they didn't have decals before. What he mean't is they didn't have good tools to add decorative decals into scenery with ease, but the engine sure supported it and used dynamic ones for bullet holes and footsteps for exemple (it was even one of the topics of a past gdc about UC3)

Sent from my LG-D385 using Tapatalk

Well, looks like ND pretty much spoiled the entire list of levels in that presentation lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back