NPD March 2016 Sales Results

According to @ZhugeEX on Twitter:

PS4 - PS3 = ~328k
XB1 - 360 = ~217k

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So, 25k for 360 and only 2k for PS3? Damn.

This is why I strongly doubt PS3 "won" last gen. There's no way, PS3's tail after PS4 was poor from all I've seen (partly because PS4 was so popular it killed PS3 quickly).

This is why I strongly doubt PS3 "won" last gen. There's no way, PS3's tail after PS4 was poor from all I've seen (partly because PS4 was so popular it killed PS3 quickly).

How'd you work that out?

Surely it's better to assume that one set of numbers is wrong?

I just used the estimates from the gaf pie chart, which are accurate. It was XBO 242k, PS4 330k this month. So, 360 must have been 25k (242k-25=217) and PS3 only 2k (330k-2=328).

I'm already having a hard time of believing in the 4K console gaming stuff... let alone 4K/60fps. That being said, performance scaling (getting it to 60fps) should come automatically because the updated hardware isn't alien to the previous (just beefier version of it), and shouldn't require a host of fine tuning. Unlocking/disabling VSYNC should be enough for performance gains (stable performance gains if possible).

And as a PC gamer I would feel offended if R* or any other developer started charging for resolution and performance scaling because my hardware of choice is capable of doing so. If it was PS5/XB2 (no backwards compatibility), then I can see them charging for such updates/remaster. But PS4K/XBFourK, hell no.... lol

I feel that you have a problem thinking in terms of "PC gamer" when it comes to a theoretical GTA V repackaged.

There was plenty of analysis videos comparing the initial GTA V remastered trailer to the final PS4 version where effects were missing and later were sort of seen in the much later available PC version and even then I'm not so sure how well the trailer was compared.

I wouldn't expect much more than a patch but even still there would be people who haven't purchased or experienced the game (which is in part why it's still on the charts defying logic and hurting other game sales) but a repackaged version containing all patches and bug fixes wouldn't be a problem for the console crowd.

Yeah enabling 4K seems impossible but GTA V isn't really a current gen game...It's not like they really reprogrammed the game to fully utilize the current gen consoles and PC...sure it looks prettier and 60fps may have even been seriously possible but GTA V is also a huge game already...unless they would have taken to release it late last year with two plus years of re-coding...

There is a lesson to be learned from GTA V and GTA games...it's obvious that Rockstar is working on R&D to make GTA-NEXT and whatever else new game. But if they handle their "remake-remastered" versions then they seem to have the gamer following that will place these games on the charts until it makes no sense as it is now.

Half of 360 sales are in NA. It's 1/3 for PS3 and PS2.
As PS3 does not have tail in NA, I'm sure 360 does not in other countries.

Rangers is correct.

I just used the estimates from the gaf pie chart, which are accurate. It was XBO 242k, PS4 330k this month. So, 360 must have been 25k (242k-25=217) and PS3 only 2k (330k-2=328).
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I'm not sure that the Xbox 360 still selling a few thousand is a great indictment to the sales of Xbox One. You'd hope people would be paying the extra for the newer consoles. I'm not even sure there's a massive difference in price between them.

I'd guess Sony must be happy that PS4 is outselling PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined. Plenty of sales left over too.

I don't know whether it's similar in the states, but the two consoles are essentially the same price in the UK (if you consider one comes with a game):

17d8e1fdbe871894f3e025a0cfc56cd9.jpg

You'd really hope that people aren't still buying the old console, especially since BC is available.... who are these people??

Amazon ranking is weird after top 100.
That bundle is 1,879 in PC & Video Games and is first for 360.
Sony PS3 12GB Super Slim Console (PS3) is 716 in PC & Video Games.
Edit: Ah that's hourly.

Half of 360 sales are in NA. It's 1/3 for PS3 and PS2.
As PS3 does not have tail in NA, I'm sure 360 does not in other countries.

PS3 tail would have to be *huge* in the rest of the world to overcome that kind of 25:2 ratio in the US. And I wouldn't bet that PS3 has that much of a tail anywhere...

Sony were keen to move away from the expensive to make PS3 and onto PS4, which was the right move for them. At the same time, the 360 has many advantages that make it more valuable to MS to continue pushing.

- 360 is much cheaper to make (no blueray, 32nm SoC instead of two 45nm chips, only 4 memory chips, no Rambus, doesn't use an nVidia part [lol])
- Cheapest HDD-less 360 version isn't effectively crippled
- 360 has a decade of superior 3rd party games (from cheaper to manufacture hardware)
- Remaining 360 3rd party games will continue to be superior
- 360 online community is still strong
- MS have an interest in continuing to cultivate 360, especially as Xbone is getting hammered by the PS4

Relative to sales during the generation (which is how you would gauge a "tail"), I expect the 360 to have a better tail in just about every market it's in. Because it's far, far better suited to it.

Similarly, I expect the PS4 to have a better tail than the XB1: better hardware, better games, stronger game-focused initial concept, and MS will want to put the XB1 hardware behind them.

PS3 tail would have to be *huge* in the rest of the world to overcome that kind of 25:2 ratio in the US.
To be fair, thatratio is from ridiculous small figures. A $50 price drop for PS3 might see it gain 100k in a month and catch up four months of 360 lead. We're basically talking noise here - 25k 360's a month is all of 300k a year, which is peanuts in the 80 million totals. It only really matters for those who care about a final 'most sold' award.

Still, goes to show how the lack of price drop has affected devices. One wonders what a $150 PS3 could do, if one could be made. If anything.

Fun fact. Xbox 360 is actually doing better than PS2 at this point in the USA when aligned.

The Xbox 360 is very much the PS2 when it comes to tail. But only in the USA and not worldwide.

Only thing is 360 install base is too low to overtake PS2 anytime soon in the USA. Close though.

To be fair, thatratio is from ridiculous small figures. A $50 price drop for PS3 might see it gain 100k in a month and catch up four months of 360 lead. We're basically talking noise here - 25k 360's a month is all of 300k a year, which is peanuts in the 80 million totals. It only really matters for those who care about a final 'most sold' award.

I actually think the "tail" end of a consoles life is pretty interesting, and not just because of "most sold". There's something about the life of a device through from conception to termination to zombified reanimation (see the megadrive above!) that gives a picture of the type of designs that remain serviceable; that perform strongly, provide profit, set up well for the next generation and last (and last).

Sales in the run up to Christmas would - you'd expect - have been higher. All downhill from here of course, unless they do a $99 DD only model in the vein of the Megadrive 3. But I can't see MS being interested in dicking around with minor sales when they're swinging for the PS4.

Fun fact. Xbox 360 is actually doing better than PS2 at this point in the USA when aligned.

The Xbox 360 is very much the PS2 when it comes to tail. But only in the USA and not worldwide.

Only thing is 360 install base is too low to overtake PS2 anytime soon in the USA. Close though.

Do you have any figures you can safely share on how last gen (PSWii60) fared regionally and globally in the time since their obsolescence?

Do you have any figures you can safely share on how last gen (PSWii60) fared regionally and globally in the time since their obsolescence?

I posted this on Twitter earlier.

CgFzpk8WEAEMz6B.jpg:large

Basically the Wii is dead at this point and has been for a while. I literally mean dead. In that it's doing worse than the Xbox One in Japan :p
The 360, as I said above is very much the PS2 of this gen in terms of legs in the US. For example. The 360 sold more than 200k during the holiday season (Nov+Dec) which was around 4x more than what the PS3 sold during this time.

Even during the last couple of months for example, the PS3 is struggling to sell over 5k each month whilst the 360 easily still sells 10's of thousands as was shown above in the calculation that rangers made.

That being said, 360 is very much on its last knees now. 2016 likely being the final year. PS3 will probably stop shipments in the US this year as well, most likely before.

Whatever X360/PS3 are selling today is peanuts to what they've sold in previous years. This is yet another projection/forecast showing the PS3 ahead of X360. Not that it really matters.. I think it's safe to say that they're both neck and neck.

Back