Microsoft HoloLens [Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Holograms]

Is that anything like "mostly dead" versus "fully dead"?

well the clue is the extra bit I wrote, clearly the tech works but the demo on stage was not an example of something they could do at the time, more a demo of what they expect in the future (2018) - sorry if things get lost in text...

Aah, so its like an Inception kinda thing.......

I guess , the tech in Kinect is important for making hololens work. The room mapping and hand tracking is all done with Kinect snesors in the helmet .

I'd also expect Kinect to appear again when xbox gets its vr solution

I suppose it fair to say the idea of Kinect is dead, but the tech has found a new home in something more practical and impressive than full-body wiggle games.

eh each jump in camera resolution will make the idea of Kinect more compelling. kv2 worked very well compared to the first iteration. The problem is we'd only get a jump every few years.

Kv2 is only a 1080p camera @ 30fps with a depth sensor of 512x424.

increasing both of those would greatly enhance performance. The kv2 also has a small arm chip on it. Increasing the power of that would also enhance performance

Anyway MS has said that each wave will take 2-3 months to fufull and they are on wave 1 with 4 waves purchased so far. so wave 4 will get them in the fall.

Seems like developers are liking it.

It's not the lack of resolution that made Kinect 2 flop hard. That's a discussion for another place though. Here, the depth cam in Hololens is superb application of a very clever tech.

A shame how their official channels continue to share screenshots and videos that are clearly rendered composites rather than through the viewfinder photographs and videos.

A shame how their official channels continue to share screenshots and videos that are clearly rendered composites rather than through the viewfinder photographs and videos.

As they say in marketing school. The idea of marketing isn't to sell consumers on reality, it's to sell consumers on the dream. Hence why CG is used to sell games rather than gameplay being show in game. Why Jeep was often shown on top of a mountain or butte that was impossible to drive up. Why Sony shows people doing obviously fantastical things unrelated to reality in their marketing, etc.

If you want to see reality. That's what technical presentations are for. :) And MS has done those as well.

Regards,
SB

As they say in marketing school. The idea of marketing isn't to sell consumers on reality, it's to sell consumers on the dream. Hence why CG is used to sell games rather than gameplay being show in game. Why Jeep was often shown on top of a mountain or butte that was impossible to drive up. Why Sony shows people doing obviously fantastical things unrelated to reality in their marketing, etc.

If you want to see reality. That's what technical presentations are for. :) And MS has done those as well.

Regards,
SB
I wonder if that kind of aproach is still the best at this day and age for new tevhnology. Is not like they are selling holo lens right now and advertizing on TV. The crowd watching this are techies, it all gets highly scrutinized at one point or another. Over-selling can do more harm then good. I'll bring up VR again (sorry) but look how much more honest and down to earth the comunication of OR vive and even PSVR were (ignoring rifts current launch fiasco). MS could get some clues from these guys.

Are those published somewhere? The only real images or videos I've seen anywhere are these recent youtube videos coming out from third party devs.

I did one in nyc , they don't let you film.

There is no way to really film this , cell phones do a bad job of showing what it looks like as its all washed out.

Are those published somewhere? The only real images or videos I've seen anywhere are these recent youtube videos coming out from third party devs.

I believe they are only shown to people under NDA. Or during HoloLens events. I should have been more clear. I don't think they've released many details into the public domain.

Regards,
SB

Again though, this is no different to saying it's like holding an iPad at arms length, except it sounds a lot better. The screen shots make it look much better than it is in reality.

Have you actually tried it? People that have tried it have a different opinion than you.

And it's more like looking at a 20-24" computer monitor on your desk. Far larger than an ipad at arms length.

Regards,
SB

Again though, this is no different to saying it's like holding an iPad at arms length, except it sounds a lot better. The screen shots make it look much better than it is in reality.

It worked really well for me when I tried it. I got to play Halo streaming to the headset and it was better than using the tv.

I think if you look at the media those complaining the most at the start were the game sites. For gaming you do need a larger fov if you want a native game. However for other tasks the headset is pretty awesome and using virtual screens let you play normal games quiet nicely.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Back