Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

That's interesting, but not entirely applicable to consumer devices going into the future.

Unless something changes, performance HDD's are going to be stuck as SMR (the current future of expanding bytes per inch on platters) is the way forward unless you get into far more expensive Helium filled enclosures (and even these have a limit). While SMR is excellent for data centers that can work around its critical weakness (incredibly bad write performance) consumer devices aren't going to fare as well. The Google white-paper goes into a little bit of detail on the challenges of using SMR based drives for a data center. Problems that can't be solved easily or cost effectively on consumer devices.

Seagate has released some SMR drives into the market with impressive 1.33 TB/platter densities. However, it also needed to include 20 GB (GB not MB) of cache in order to make common tasks useable. Once you exceed that cache, however, write speeds drop to ~10 MB/s or less (not uncommon for modern games to exceed 20 GB). They are fantastic for data centers which archive lots of data as read speeds remain decent and high capacity drives based on SMR are significantly cheaper than high capacity drives based on PMR (the current performant platter tech for high capacity).

So yes, in enterprise data center's SMR has extended the period of time before SSD's can replace most data storage installations. But unless something else comes around HDD capacity increases are going to slow drastically. There's hope with HAMR based platters, but that has been plagued with issues and potential launch dates keep getting pushed back (2018 is the latest optimistic projection), however, there are people within the industry that doubt HAMR will ever be a commercially viable technology.

If HAMR can become commercially viable and if it can be done more cheaply than NAND based devices (no guarantee) then physical HDDs can remain relevant for a very long time. If not, NAND (or other solid state) devices will converge with physical platter based devices sooner rather than later.

Regards,
SB

Publisher pass on cost reductions to the end user, unlikely

That would be a case where platform holders could mandate pricing. Similar to how console maker's mandated 60 USD for games and it took about 5-6 years until publisher's followed suit voluntarily on PC.

50 USD digital and/or digital via re-useable media would net larger profits (versus current physical distribution) for publisher, console maker, and developer as only a small part of the savings is passed on the consumer. A win for everyone involved.

Regards,
SB

More than 10 years ago, MS claimed that DVD would be the last optical medium on Xbox. But in 5 years, the next Xbox will have BD also

More than 10 years ago, MS claimed that DVD would be the last optical medium on Xbox. But in 5 years, the next Xbox will have BD also

Well if by 2020/21 people are still relying upon physical formats, I doubt it will be optical discs. Because if card and thumb drives become more stable, BDs will be a far less attractive option.

Well if by 2020/21 people are still relying upon physical formats, I doubt it will be optical discs. Because if card and thumb drives become more stable, BDs will be a far less attractive option.

That's what a multi billion dollar company was saying in 2005 about 2010

HI there newcomer, welcome to my school.

You are most likely totally and utterly wrong, for evidence see this thread of pure knowledge from the beginning. And then take a look at the conclusion, that would be the wii u, ps4 and Xbox one. Now go 5 years into the future and tell us what in the world should change to make what didn't happen for all the reasons mentioned in the past 122 pages come through.

In the future we will use computer cassettes, I read it in a magazine about the future...

yhX7rOe.jpg

In the future we will use computer cassettes, I read it in a magazine about the future...

yhX7rOe.jpg

Funnily enough that is amazingly accurate. There's a lot of people I know that do not carry cash anymore and it's becoming more prevalent. Computers protect cars to varying degrees and will only become better and more prevalent. Computers are starting to use image recognition to protect themselves, it's isn't too far from that to protecting entry into houses. Most Hotels already use rudimentary computers to restrict entry into rooms (digital key cards for entry).

There are organized criminal gangs now that do much of their theft and criminal deeds almost entirely online through computers. There are now government agencies, including some police departments, tasked with computer fraud.

The only thing they got wrong was that cassette tapes would still be relevant. :D Optical media will be following in data cassette's footsteps. It's just a question of when.

I'm so used to seeing old articles predicting the technology of tomorrow being so wrong that it's oddly strange to see one almost nail it 100%.

Regards,
SB

I'm so used to seeing old articles predicting the technology of tomorrow being so wrong that it's oddly strange to see one almost nail it 100%.
I've a 1920s Children's Encyclopedia around here we've two amazing predictions from Men Of Science. 1) That we will never be able to travel in space because there's no air in space to push against, but we will be able to communicate with the Martians by writing massive words in the deserts, and 2) That the world will become a tetrahedron as the Earth's core cools, and we can already see that happening by the alignment of the continents.

I really need to find and scan them and preserve them on the Internet.

I've a 1920s Children's Encyclopedia around here we've two amazing predictions from Men Of Science. 1) That we will never be able to travel in space because there's no air in space to push against, but we will be able to communicate with the Martians by writing massive words in the deserts, and 2) That the world will become a tetrahedron as the Earth's core cools, and we can already see that happening by the alignment of the continents.

I really need to find and scan them and preserve them on the Internet.

If you end up scanning them I'd love to take a look at them. I love things like that. :)

Regards,
SB

https://www.jedec.org/news/pressrel...sal-flash-storage-ufs-removable-card-standard

The new UFS card standard provides a leading-edge removable storage solution while maintaining sequential and random IOPs performance that is critical for future mobile markets. Even using a single lane the UFS 1.0 card offers 600 MB/s interface speed in both directions and a state-of-the-art queuing mechanism to further increase system throughput.

• Secure operations such as purge and erase to enhance data security
  • Includes write protection options, including permanent and power-on write protection

https://www.jedec.org/news/pressrel...sal-flash-storage-ufs-removable-card-standard

The new UFS card standard provides a leading-edge removable storage solution while maintaining sequential and random IOPs performance that is critical for future mobile markets. Even using a single lane the UFS 1.0 card offers 600 MB/s interface speed in both directions and a state-of-the-art queuing mechanism to further increase system throughput.

• Secure operations such as purge and erase to enhance data security
  • Includes write protection options, including permanent and power-on write protection

Finally the end to the standard wars with a new standard :)

Various statements indicate that Neo and Scorpio are trying to appeal to more performance-minded gamers with a premium mid-life cycle kicker. Both platforms indicate that there are no exclusives to the premium tier, and existing games will run on both.
Part of the argument is to give hardcore gamers something to migrate to besides the PC as the platforms fall behind in tech.

That might be hard to do if the new consoles do not have at least one version capable of playing the physical libraries of those customers.

Will Scorpio and Neo still use optical distribution media?

Since Sony is openly talking how Neo is just premium PS4 and that it will run only PS4 games, I can safely predict that only basic 2-layer 50GB blurays will be used until the end of this PlayStation gen. Same will probably happen for Scorpio.

3-layered 100GB BD discs for UHD movies are already manufactured and sold, but I don't think consoles will adopt them now..

Since Sony is openly talking how Neo is just premium PS4 and that it will run only PS4 games, I can safely predict that only basic 2-layer 50GB blurays will be used until the end of this PlayStation gen. Same will probably happen for Scorpio.

3-layered 100GB BD discs for UHD movies are already manufactured and sold, but I don't think consoles will adopt them now..
Yes, they said it would be the same discs for both so obviously games remain on 50GB. It doesn't exclude the possibility of dual disc releases for Kojima games etc.... It's fully installed anyway.

What's interesting is that scorpio and Neo WILL have the drive firmware tested to read 100GB discs, so if they do a rolling transition next gen (i.e. PS4/XB1 dropped support, but scorpio/neo becomes the lower sku they continue to sell), they can make games on 100GB discs that are forward compatible with scorpio and neo. It has the drive.

Back