My android phone randomly reboots, any way to retroactively read the logs?

People don't want to update their rom every day or every week and if these manufactures were so great they'd make sure the software they release isn't full of bugs requiring weekly updates. That is why I said I rather have few but high quality updates then frequent buggy updates.

But the weekly updates is not required. It's optional.

While if you use Samsung or Sony phone, you will need a month at minimum to get the bug fix update.

I say Samsung or Sony because of that's the brands I have experienced that care to give bugfix albeit slow. Dunno about Motorola or HTC update speed.

On the other hand, LG is completely bonkers. They doesn't care with bugfix. Only feature update or major update.

What phone do you use? Have you patched it's stage fright vulnerability? It can give complete control of phone to 3rd party.

Or any other ridiculously dangerous bugs.

Btw while most apps on play store are safe, researchers found that there are popular apps that was a Trojan for exploits.

Sorry can't give any direct link. All available on arstechnica.com though.

If you like most people that only use play store and only install trusted apps (those with special icon in their name), and did not use MMS, you probably are safe and don't need to update.

Like most xiaomi and Sony users. You don't need to update despite they diligently give bug fixes.

Those are optional.

But if you are concerned with your security. Why not update? Xiaomi give them weekly, Sony usually fix in a month.

@tongue_of_colicab

I separate this on separate reply.

My phone is LG g pro 2. It's a flagship device from LG. Big Korean brand. Not Chinese.

But it have lots of bugs like :

• LTE only available through service menu
  • Inconsistent battery life (even reviewer mentioned it)
  • Wrong notification LED color
  • Rotation lock randomly not working
  • Accept / reject call on screen button randomly did not appear
On the other hand, what bug I experienced in xiaomi? Really minor like wrong translation, memory cleaner app (that not needed) did not launch.

Fixed in a week.

In Sony Xperia SP, it was an update that broke notification LED. Sony fixed it in one or two months i think. Despite they already said they are no longer supporting Xperia SP after the previous update that broke notification LED. (it cause an uproar in Xperia SP users due to Sony originally promised and clearly put Android lollipop in the update road map).

In LG? Zero update to fix any of that.

According to google 95% of the android phones out there is protected against stage fright.
http://www.androidcentral.com/stagefright

If you want to be secure use a nexus device so you know you're getting the latest security patches. Better yet make sure you have as little sensitive data on any portable device as possible.

As for update frequency, my argument was that for the far majority of users it doesn't matter which OS version they are using so with the exception of big security issues I think its much more important to have quality updates rather than frequent updates. If a device needs weekly updates it would seem to me that the manufacturer didn't bother making sure they shipped the device with stable, working software. Especially those China phones aren't exactly lauded because of their stellar firmware.

Still, a lot of people are stuck with branded phones and even if a manufacturer releases updates quickly it often takes forever for providers to. My girlfiriends Z3 wasn't updated to Android 5 until something like 2 months ago and fucking AU KDDI never bothered updating my HTC One to android 5.

@tongue_of_colicab

but that protection that 95% phone have is already bypassed http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ones-imperiled-by-new-code-execution-exploit/

there's also this bug http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-nexus-phones-to-permanent-device-compromise/

back about xiaomi. Their FW is high quality. like i said, you dont need to keep updating everyweek. You can just update every few months however you want.

its just like all windows versions before 10 :)

MS have high qualtity weekly update. But if you want ignore all that, its okay. MS also have big service pack.

if one update introduce significant bug, MS will rapidly release new update to fix it.

Why is it rebooting...? That just runs the battery down even more. Seems there's a s/w bug involved, I'd say.

Why is it rebooting...? That just runs the battery down even more. Seems there's a s/w bug involved, I'd say.
From the battery history, the battery capacity randomly goes down into a cliff.

Everytime this happens, Android reboot.

Googling around, people fixed those problem on galaxy and Xperia by replacing the battery.

My LG still on warranty but I don't want to left it on service center. Usually take months.

Ill just buy a new battery

Found a workaround,

I turned on the feature to "use the least amount of core" and it no longer reboots.

It's also did not feel make any additional lag.

Heh. I guess this won't make it randomly reboots but will still reboots when I do stress the system (playing cardboard, recording 4k videos).

From the battery history, the battery capacity randomly goes down into a cliff.
It just means the battery is old (internal resistance is high). When it is stressed, current goes up -> external voltage goes down -> shows as empty and cannot supply the phone -> crash -> stress gone so quickly that the phone reboots instead of turning off.

New Why is it rebooting...? That just runs the battery down even more. Seems there's a s/w bug involved, I'd say.
It's not a bug. It is a damaged battery. The best the phone could do is turn off. It cannot keep working if it does not have power.

The battery totally dead. Now my phone is married with a power bank.

@Kaarlisk
Yups, it's mfg date is 2014. Although it's only been a few months since I buy it...

I should be able to warranty it but I'm afraid it will take months.

Already ordered a replacement battery though.

EDIT:
android still report the battery health as "good" though hahaha

Last edited:
It's a li-ion battery. They age as as long as they exist, no matter if they are being used or not.

its labeled as li-ion but detected as li-poly, weird. it also reported as "good" on the battery health... another bug in LG's android i guess.

btw my 3 or 4 years old sony xperia phone still works fine. this LG battery got damaged too fast.

i guess i'll find out when my replacement battery came. if it got the same problem. then its the battery controller on the phone that is borked.

today the phone totally, completely unusable even when connected to charger... it keeps rebooting. cannot pass the LG logo.

replacement battery hasn't come.
blah... i should have not used government-owned shipping agent...

Sheesh, Android battery health is stupid lol.

44% considered as FULL and it considers the battery health as GOOD.

QuickMemo+_2016-04-16-09-39-21.png

Had you just charged that battery, or is ambient temp really almost 35C at your place right now? :oops:

Had you just charged that battery, or is ambient temp really almost 35C at your place right now? :oops:
its the batt temp not the ambient lol

ambient temp usually 30-33c at noon. 25+++ at night.

rainy season, dry season doesnt matter. its almost always stays like that.

It's not stupid. First of all android is probably just reading the output from the battery management system in the battery itself.

Secondly battery level and health are unrelated.

how can its not stupid?

it considers 44% as full AND healthy.

???
that are the criteria for unhealthy battery where its capacity no longer 100% but only 44%.

or the criteria for unhealthy battery is when the battery totally dead? then what is the use of telling the health status lol.

Back