OrangeLupa's Curse, Broken Electronics and High Taxes

zed

Legend
please no more broken stuff for today...
(not talking about win10 but hardware) I've been a few times to indonesia, including jarkata (where you are I think) I've checked out the electronics ther.
Most looks a bit dodgy (and its not even that cheap) I suspect what happens is if the product scores low or even fails the QC in the factory, it gets shipped off dirtcheap to a place like indonesia. Sucks but you can't really do anything about it, except buy from overseas, though singapore (if you're going to the cheap places is dodgy and arent even that cheap)

please no more broken stuff for today...
We've all had days like these... Well, not exactly like yours, but last night I only slept about four hours, then went for a 6-something km noon walk, fell asleep on the tram back home after I put my phone in my sweater pocket instead of in my pants like I should have, only to have my phone fall to the ground and crack its front glass the second I stepped off the tram. Luckily it cracked only in the top-right corner near the lock button, but fucking hell... Now I gotta pay to have the screen replaced because that glass is going to splinter and I don't want glass shrapnel in my pockets. :(

Gonna cost money to fix that could have been better spent in another way. :(

Are tax rates really that high? According to Google there is a 10% vat which isn't that high. Japan is 8% but most of Europe is around 20 I believe.

Import tax appears to average 10% with things like electronics not being charged at all according to dutycalculator.com.

IMO Asia in general is a craphole to live when it comes to buying anything. Lots of electronics in Japan are actually so much more expensive in Japan that it's almost cheaper to buy it in the Netherlands at 21% vat, pay for shipping, losing money on the exchange and then paying import tax than it is to buy it in Japan.

Examples are Logitech remotes or psu's that cost 150 euro but for some reason are sold at over 10 times that prices on Amazon Japan :')

Other stuff is usually similarly priced despite lower tax and shipping costs from tge factories to Japan.

The overall tax in Indonesia is 17.5% for imported electronics (the first $50 isn't taxed).
I think the prices for imported electronic in Indonesia is similar enough vs Europe for high volume items (like cellphones).

I've buy stuff from China and US, and that is what I paid. Of course we live in different city, so it might be a different experience. My experience also only about buying a single item on Ebay and not bulk buying.
Of course when you have a business selling imported stuff, thus import in large quantity or something, yes, there might be hidden charges so that the item can be released in a timely manner from the port/dock/custom.

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

Hey I've got my own thread! Time to celebrate by playing The Division incursion!

... After I got back from dentist...

I hope you have better luck with fillings etc than with electronics :yep2:

Edit: I wonder if its a climate thing? Indonesia is pretty hot/humid isn't it?

my LG G Pro 2's battery totally dead when i was applying for health insurance today lol.
on the bright side, the application process goes without problem, and i will have health insurance in 2 weeks wohooo!

@hoom
nah, its just me.
i have "death's touch" for electronics. I think my most awesome case was with Acer laptop that i extended the warranty to 3 years.
In a time long forgotten, there was a boy and Acer laptop.
Its an awesome laptop that can do some serious gaming.
Unfortunately it have poor health.

Its always broken almost every month after came back from service center.
New motherboard, new LCD, new motherboard again...
Countless operation was done, and various parts got replaced for almost 3 years.

On the last month of the warranty, its dead again.
After it came back from motherboard surgery, Acer offered the boy an offer that he can't refuse.

"Pay us a tiny amount of money and we will give you a new Acer laptop. Remember, this is the last month of your warranty."

They boy decided to pay, and he liked the new laptop. Its much cooler and faster than his old one.

--- months later ---

On one seemingly normal night. The boy heard something at the attic. **crack** **crash**
The boy think its the wild cats that making noises again, and goes back to sleep.

In the morning, the boy checked his phone and computer to find out that the internet of the whole house has stopped working. "Okay, there was no rain but now i have no internet. Why the heck the internet is down... time to call my ISP"

Before he make the call, his eyes catches something on the monitor... something that make his eyes wide open and everything moving in slow motion.

[picture of windows explorer's copy over network has failed]

In blink of an eye he runs upstairs and find that there were no laptop, no 2TB HDD.

His eyes scans the room and sees that an iron bar on one of the windows was broken.

on the bright side, this "curse" made me able to fix a bunch of electronics from wall-clock to laptops, remote car, and cellphones lol.

Still can't fix cameras though. digital and analogue. i can fix none of them :(

^^^ Damn dude that sucks :(

We've all had days like these... Well, not exactly like yours, but last night I only slept about four hours, then went for a 6-something km noon walk, fell asleep on the tram back home after I put my phone in my sweater pocket instead of in my pants like I should have, only to have my phone fall to the ground and crack its front glass the second I stepped off the tram. Luckily it cracked only in the top-right corner near the lock button, but fucking hell... Now I gotta pay to have the screen replaced because that glass is going to splinter and I don't want glass shrapnel in my pockets. :(

Gonna cost money to fix that could have been better spent in another way. :(

You can temporary 'fix' it by applying a screen protector. In the meantime, order the screen from china; I had to replace a friend her iPhone screen and it arrived within 7 days!! Then look up instructions, and fix it yourself!

Wait.. You got your broken screen replaced under warranty?
No, I wish that was true! (You need to buy applecare plus or whatever it's called for that. And you only get a limited amount of screen replacements that way - one or two, I'm not sure.) However, I would get warranty for the new screen (and also not void the warranty on the rest of the phone ;)) if I go through an official repair service...

Back