Nvidia Pascal Announcement

... and why should it not (be available sooner than expected)? It's not fundamentally new technology after all.

Well Micron themselves said in February that it would be sampling in the spring (now) and mass produced in the summer, presumbly from June onwards - https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2016/february/gddr5x-has-arrived

Unless something has changed within the last 2 months I'd go with that. It's possible they've got a "hurry up" from Nvidia and AMD though and started earlier than planned.
once the ram is ready, and verified, and in mass production, it won't take long to get cards out in mass too. Its just putting the components together.... How long will that take? Its not like they need to worry about an interpose.....

So June, July, should be ok.

Just think about this, graphics company can get cards out with a respin of die, in quarter. So this will be no where near as complex as that. Of course yields have to sufficient for the ram.

once the ram is ready, and verified, and in mass production, it won't take long to get cards out in mass too. Its just putting the components together.... How long will that take? Its not like they need to worry about an interpose.....
What about board layout? Doesn't design take time?

It's doable but very risky I feel. Tbh I like the newest rumour of GTX 1070 with GDDR5 launching summer and the GTX 1080 with GDDR5X launching in Autumn. That makes so much sense from a few perspectives.

Well Micron themselves said in February that it would be sampling in the spring (now) and mass produced in the summer, presumbly from June onwards - https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2016/february/gddr5x-has-arrived

Unless something has changed within the last 2 months I'd go with that. It's possible they've got a "hurry up" from Nvidia and AMD though and started earlier than planned.
Just curious, why presumably June? They've mentioned August earlier as probable for mass production

Just curious, why presumably June? They've mentioned August earlier as probable for mass production
I've read somewhere (but can't find the link at the moment) Micron said that GDDR5X will provide income for the current financial quarter that ends in June.

Well rumours hotting up.
SweClockers reporting that replacements for the 980 and 980ti are May with the replacement to the 970 in June...
http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/21...ti-far-ersattare-i-maj-gtx-970-avloses-i-juni

Sweclockers do not usually jump on every rumour, so maybe a bit of weight behind this one, still who really knows.
Still a tricky rumour to accept as before 980 was not a stripped down 980ti, maybe they learnt their lesson on how 980 was not an ideal fit at the upper tiers, fingers crossed but not sure about this rumour myself because of this.
If true could good/bad for either model, possibly bad in some ways as the 980ti was a stripped down Titan X before..
Cheers

It's risky because if AMD hasn't gone with GDDR5X on Polaris 10 they could snap up a lot of market while Nvidia waits.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/395...rcan-q2-2016-results-earnings-call-transcript

"We have several design wins and expect to have the products to be available by the end of the current fiscal quarter."

That means: end of June.

Yeah I saw that one yesterday after my post. It would appear to change things a bit. The end of their fiscal quarter might even be early June.

It's risky because if AMD hasn't gone with GDDR5X on Polaris 10 they could snap up a lot of market while Nvidia waits.
Do you expect a 1070 with GDDR5 to be slower than a Polaris 10?

AMD expected Polaris to be months earlier than Nvidia's offerings. Compared to those predictions, they're losing either way.

Yeah I saw that one yesterday after my post. It would appear to change things a bit. The end of their fiscal quarter might even be early June.

GDDR5X will benefit depending upon on whether either went with 256-bit or 384-bit IMO, especially in the very early days of GDDR5X.
The 8Gbps GDDR5 memory with a 384-bit bus would be fine IMO for a about a year - this depends how quickly mass production improvements occur for GDDR5X (initial batch was meant to be at best 12Gbps for mass production and possibly lower).
Still, depends if they do implement the 384-bit bus and on which cards, same goes with GDDR5X.

Cheers

Do you expect a 1070 with GDDR5 to be slower than a Polaris 10?

AMD expected Polaris to be months earlier than Nvidia's offerings. Compared to those predictions, they're losing either way.

If the die-size leaks of 232mm2 and 294mm2 are true and both are on GDDR5 then yes I expect Polaris 10 to be close to a 1070 on raw performance and ahead in perf/Watt.

AMD needs to be is first and a lot faster than the 970 at a similar price point (this should be doable with a cut-down Polaris 10) and they'll sell a lot cards. There's a lot of pent-up demand for new tech.

If the die-size leaks of 232mm2 and 294mm2 are true and both are on GDDR5 then yes I expect Polaris 10 to be close to a 1070 on raw performance and ahead in perf/Watt.

AMD needs to be is first and a lot faster than the 970 at a similar price point (this should be doable with a cut-down Polaris 10) and they'll sell a lot cards. There's a lot of pent-up demand for new tech.
Has the die size been shown for Polaris 10 models being released this summer?
Thanks

Back