Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

it's just a bug (with the focus?); some parts in the frame are full res: look at the graphic on the pinball machine in the bottom right corner: the 'round' thing: it's perfect round while surrounding pixels, and pixels within the perfect round graphic are pixellated.

I think before they DOF something; they render it at half res to save on resources. Due to a bug things that are in focus are rendered at non 1:1 res, while parts which are out of focus are full res

it's just a bug (with the focus?); some parts in the frame are full res

No, probably not, since there are other scenes which show the same difference in resolution.

Here is another striking example, this time from the scene where Noctis is carrying the easel (or whatever it is):

Screenshot from 9 Mbps extended trailer:

easel_9mbps.png

Screenshot from 25 Mbps standard trailer:

easel_25mbps.png

As you can see, it's the same difference as with the pinball machine scene.

Just look at the legs of the easel (that thing he is carrying on his shoulders).

Maybe someone can also have a look at the resolution of those?

It's 960x540 vs. 1920x1080 again, correct?

Last edited:
I think they are camping chairs:
large_1047_10500100.jpg

To help you guys understand I circled some parts which are rendered at native resolution:

jQccSfQ.jpg

if those edges are derived from a 540 vertical resolution then you will probably agree that the upscale mechanism is the very best ever produced in the history of realtime graphics, no?

To help you guys understand I circled some parts which are rendered at native resolution:
We know already! We're not that dense, as evidenced by the previous page of discussion looking at possible explanations. Have you just not read the thread and decided to persist in a viewpoint without considering everyone else's including evidence??
It's not a DOF issue (as I first suggested) because it's not present in different encodes (as user542745831 shows), leaving the most likely explanation as an encoding issue as discussed very sensibly in the previous page.

Digital Foundry says the platinum demo hovers mostly around 900p, but I had the impression it's mostly 1080p or something close to that.
Anyone want to take a look at the res for the following pictures, courtesy of Neogaf user Shin-Ra:
25900309980_d33774debb_o.png

26080961072_bb0e74d072_o.png

26173169995_9e6e8e986d_o.png

First one has two enemies on screen, so the renderer load has to be higher.
Bottom one, forest area is rumored to run at 900p throughout, but I doubt it. Globalisateur counted a screenshot from this area to 1080p, so DF may be wrong about 900p being the 'standard' res it runs at.
Maybe it runs at 1080p and has some dips to 900p, which I thought was more likely based on my run.
The final area definitely runs sub-native though.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to try their hand at the above three :)

Gears of war 4 Multiplayer:

u84c52q8j2pnhnfkbina.jpg

Very bad quality but I think the game running at 1080p native.
I think most textures are unfinished looks like an albedo map without normal and/or metallic and /or glossiness maps.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry says the platinum demo hovers mostly around 900p, but I had the impression it's mostly 1080p or something close to that.
Bottom one, forest area is rumored to run at 900p throughout, but I doubt it. Globalisateur counted a screenshot from this area to 1080p, so DF may be wrong about 900p being the 'standard' res it runs at.
Bottom one 1080p obviously from the guy's hand. And special aliasing filter to make the jaggies worse than zero AA - those Japanese and their jaggie fetishes! :LOL:

Anyone want to take a look at the res for the following pictures, courtesy of Neogaf user Shin-Ra:

First one has two enemies on screen, so the renderer load has to be higher.
Maybe it runs at 1080p and has some dips to 900p, which I thought was more likely based on my run.
The final area definitely runs sub-native though.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to try their hand at the above three :)

Bottom one 1080p obviously from the guy's hand. And special aliasing filter to make the jaggies worse than zero AA - those Japanese and their jaggie fetishes! :LOL:

Middle pic is native 1080p as well (if we assume horizontal & vertical use the same scaling which was the case AFAIK in previous FF15 cases).

Not sure about the first pic. But if I had to guess by comparing with the 2 others I would say it's most probably uspcaled.

Good count on Doom VGA and appreciate the video's as always. Quick question about your FFXV video: Is the dynamic resolution mostly hitting 1080p and sometimes dipping or is it mostly 900p with slight bumps to 1080p?

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it looks like they are already hitting 1080p the majority of the time. Any ideas?

Back