Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of why Nintendo isn't doing better than they are (and showing no signs of improving):
http://kotaku.com/new-mario-maker-guidelines-still-dont-explain-why-level-1769891036

Goes to show they just fucking don't get it. Nintendo has always treated online like something they're hoping, or even expecting to go away in a couple months, like it's some fucking fad or something. Only grudgingly do they add online features, and always the dumbest possible implementation initially, the most cumbersome and impractical to use (because you don't want to encourage dangerous things like online gaming!). ...Such as friends codes, or their terrible e-store where all your purchases are linked to the machine you bought it with. Or lack of universal voice chatting in wii u, and many other things.

What's the probability the NX will be any better than the wuu on any of these benchmarks? Well, I'm not betting any money at all on this one, actually...

Their games really don't translate to online do they?

What are the most popular online games, COD and other shooters of its ilk? Hard to imagine those genres of games ever becoming popular on a Nintendo system, for whatever reason.

If the average age of people who game on Nintendo systems is much younger, like say preteen or early teens, maybe online isn't going to ever be a big thing on Nintendo consoles.

Two player co-op Mario Brothers would rock the online gaming world.
Multi player Mario Kart Racing would rock the online gaming world.
Two or Multi player Metroid Prime would rock the online gaming world.
Multi player team based Pokemon would rock the online gaming world.
Multi player Mario Party games would rock the online gaming world.

I dont see why you say none of Nintendo games are a fit for online multiplayer. It's only because Nintendo is incompetent that they don't.

I agree but I've heard other people say on different forums that they want to play coop with their kids in the same room, not online

Like I said, if a lot of elementary school kids are playing Nintendo console games, it may be that parents don't want them to go online. XBL isn't exactly known for family-friendly communications.

But of course a lot of it is whether Nintendo has the competency to design and implement online games. Or the interest. They could certainly hire engineers who can build an online service along with code for making online work. But has Miyamoto ever indicated interest in online, like how he'd design online modes and such? Maybe Nintendo needs to force him to hire and work with online designers and engineers.

I agree but I've heard other people say on different forums that they want to play coop with their kids in the same room, not online

Like I said, if a lot of elementary school kids are playing Nintendo console games, it may be that parents don't want them to go online. XBL isn't exactly known for family-friendly communications.

But of course a lot of it is whether Nintendo has the competency to design and implement online games. Or the interest. They could certainly hire engineers who can build an online service along with code for making online work. But has Miyamoto ever indicated interest in online, like how he'd design online modes and such? Maybe Nintendo needs to force him to hire and work with online designers and engineers.

I believe Xbl actually has very good child filters so you can control your childs actions. One is to limit chat/messages to friends only with you the adult the only person to be able to add friends. Also limit the child profile to age appropriate games and set times when they can play.

But yes inline in general can be quite toxic.

Reminds me I need to read up as my son will probably want to join in soon and I need to be ready.

Mario Kart 8 supported 12 player online 2 years ago.

Now imagine it on systems which have an actual install base that play online! ;) I don't suppose anyone had tried it, if so could you find any matches? How was the experience?

See, if even Nintendo could do it for one game they should be able to do so for the other titles.

Now imagine it on systems which have an actual install base that play online! ;) I don't suppose anyone had tried it, if so could you find any matches? How was the experience?

See, if even Nintendo could do it for one game they should be able to do so for the other titles.

Just tried it this morning, logged on and had a match within a few seconds, then additional people after each race. No noticeable lag. Quick and easy fun.

MK online has been around for ages. I remember playing it on my DS! Never any trouble finding players, no lag for me on MK8 and it's really good fun/intensly frustrating - as it should be ;)

Here's an early report:

http://www.androidauthority.com/report-nintendos-miitomo-now-4-million-users-686271/

4 million users are spending $40K a day.

More snippets:

Specifically, Miitomo is estimated to have 4 million users who login at least once a month, and 1 million who log in daily. The average Miitomo user logs-in two or three times in a typical day and spends 7-8 minutes with the app.

The app is estimated to be pulling in $280,000 per week. This breaks down to roughly $40,000 per day split between iOS and Android users, though of that figure, 80% comes from iOS. Additionally, Nintendo’s social networking software is estimated to average 3-4 cents per day, spent by active users.

~~~
How much it will expand will be an interesting story to follow: clearly things have slowed from the first milestone, and some have raised the question of how many non Nintendo fans would potentially be interested in the app.

The bigger questions, however, are related both to money and long-term viability. While SurveyMonkey’s estimated daily earnings are a promising start, they seek to suggest a different trend than, say, something like that of Kim Kardashian‘s app, which generated a staggering $43 million in its first three months of release.

Kimsy's app earned bajillions because she is an established, well-known franchise with an existing following. Nobody outside of nintendo fans in particular, and to some extent, dedicated gamers in general, have ever heard of Miitomo. That they're earning even a single penny is a small miracle, really. :)

Kimsy's app earned bajillions because she is an established, well-known franchise with an existing following. Nobody outside of nintendo fans in particular, and to some extent, dedicated gamers in general, have ever heard of Miitomo. That they're earning even a single penny is a small miracle, really. :)

C'mon it is not a miracle. Nintendo is an established well known brand with a massive existing following. Nintendo are a far bigger brand than Kim Kardashian is.

So how come Kardashian pulled in money at roughly ten times the rate, if Nintendo is far bigger and well-known a brand? It can't be that Kim K is such an awesome game designer that she out-designed a company with a generation-and-a-half's worth of experience in the field?

Or maybe Nintendo simply didn't want to earn money with their first smartphone app. They did it deliberately! Yes, that must be it.

So how come Kardashian pulled in money at roughly ten times the rate, if Nintendo is far bigger and well-known a brand?
Bigger is a relative term. In terms of name and fame and size, Nintendo are bigger, known by more people and with more cultural impact. In terms of making money from one app, K. is bigger (in terms of revenue) than N. Kardashian clearly had more people willing to spend money on her app than Nintendo have wanting to spend on theirs, but N.'s app isn't even a game, really. It's certainly possible N. can make way more money from mobile if they had a decent product and monetisation.

Bigger is a relative term. In terms of name and fame and size, Nintendo are bigger, known by more people and with more cultural impact.
Just being bigger isn't relevant, though. You also have to exist within the sphere of interest to the person in question. (Insert venn diagram here... :)) If you're not a dedicated gamer, it stands within reason you probably don't spend much thought about anything Nintendo, so you would not necessarily know of an app released by them, and if someone said that it just got released, you'd probably go like, "oh yeah? /care."

Whereas people interested in Kim K would likely be following her in some form or other (be it literally through social media outlets, or by reading gossip columns and so on), and would hear of her app through one or more of a multitude of channels, and since the app intersects with their interest in KK... Well. The rest is obvious. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back