Quantum Break [UWP]

Since you like reading articles so much you might want to read this as well, just went up from Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-went-wrong-with-quantum-break-pc
Quantum Break has arrived on the PC and to suggest that the results are disappointing would be a massive understatement. PC gamers are left out in the cold with another high profile release failing to deliver expected levels of performance, features and customisation. As things stand, it simply isn't possible to achieve a smooth frame-rate on any PC hardware configuration and thanks to the profound limitations imposed on gamers by the Universal Windows Platform, there's no way to fix it.

Literally refresh rate * (5/6) framerate cap. Literally. Que?

And that explains all the frame pacing issues, it is simply impossible to get QB to run evenly. Even the 30 fps cap doesn't work properly.

Last edited:
Total disaster.

I guess this is the push xbox pc division needed to push the UWP team.

"dude, see that? That the thing I reported years ago and you put on low priority list "

So DF has a worse experience than you Clukos.

Their NVidia experience is pretty puzzling. They don't say how many NVidia systems they have access to, merely that 2 of them were crashing "a lot". They also report that NVidia is much slower than AMD, yet overclock3D.net indicates that they are about the same.

I just played a few minutes of this game on my Windows 10 box. Very interesting and mixed feelings on what's going on with the graphics engine here. I need to play alittle more before giving my impressions but what I can say is that:

1) The game is running at a resolution lower than advertised (which some have already mentioned).
2) The lighting/shading are pretty freaking incredible.
3) Most detailed in-game character I've seen.
4) FPS gets hammered with extreme judder by some graphics settings (AA, Reflections, Shadow Res) set to MAX.

I'm running at "4k" on a Titan X. Anything below 4k is just a blurfest.

They need to make UWP games have mandatory demo like those XBLA games on Windows store... Or at least benchmark mode.

I'm really interested in buying QB but with no demo, no benchmark, no pirated version, I can't try it first :(

I already got burned once with Halo Sparta on Windows store that can't be played at all :/

Game is good from what i've played but the frame pacing issues hurt the gameplay so much it's unbearable, and judging by the UWP edition of RotTR we'll be waiting some weeks before the first patch goes through cert... It's a mess right now.
I'm running at "4k" on a Titan X. Anything below 4k is just a blurfest.

Good luck getting that to run at 30 fps in the chapter 2-3, you'll be constantly in the lower teens, on top of it Nvidia cards seem to struggle with volumetrics in this game perf wise.

Could be a driver issue. I'm struggling terribly bad with killer instinct in w10 and I should meet recommended specs. Nvidia cards are appearing to suffer badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a driver issue. I'm struggling terribly bad with killer instinct in w10 and I should meet recommended specs. Nvidia cards are appearing to suffer badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer instant works fine on my pc despite my pc is horrible. Agh I want to try to play QB...

But I only have Radeon HD 7770 1GB.

It can run BF4 at high at higher than 60 fps though.

Apparently 4k runs at ~20 fps on a 980ti so it's out of the question, still looks reconstructed (so it's pretty much a confirmation that PC is using the same AA method).

I'm running 4k on a TitanX. I don't have ultra settings on everything but am able to tell when it drops frames due to the judder. I've been able to keep it at a consistent 30FPS by turning OFF AA, reflections to Medium and shadows to Medium. Everything else is up. Also lock FPS to 30.

I'm running 4k on a TitanX. I don't have ultra settings on everything but am able to tell when it drops frames due to the judder. I've been able to keep it at a consistent 30FPS by turning OFF AA, reflections to Medium and shadows to Medium. Everything else is up. Also lock FPS to 30.

If you can hold 30 fps at some parts (you'll know) from chapter 2 then that's great, it's there that perf went to shit for me. And hasn't been great since (only some parts run okay-ish).

I love the concept of this game though. It's got me excited to watch the rest of the Flash TV series episodes.. :)

Despite the lower framerate, I think I'll be enjoying this game.

There's already a pirated release - 67GB, with rather complicated set of instructions for the installation.

Just checked, yeah you are right. It's still need to be online though. I don't want to risk my legit windows 10...

I guess I'll just wait for it to be discounted or wait until someone try it with surface book (it have 1GB gpu ram).

There's a huge problem with volumetric lights and maxwell 2.0 gpus in this game, every time i look at a volumetric light source frame rate dips significantly. Maybe it's just how they are using the GCN GPU in the X1 but Nvidia and/or Remedy need to do something about that...

There's a huge problem with volumetric lights and maxwell 2.0 gpus in this game, every time i look at a volumetric light source frame rate dips significantly. Maybe it's just how they are using the GCN GPU in the X1 but Nvidia and/or Remedy need to do something about that...
Yeah and even Digital Foundry noted volumetric lighting causing insane performance drop on NVIDIA, also think particles have impact.

Clukos, another great review site that backs up your feelings but needs translating (their benchmark is near the bottom of the page with issues found above:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Quantum-Break-Spiel-15745/Specials/Technik-Test-1191358/

One other aspect as this is a serious issue IMO, the console rendering engine has not changed and still uses temporal reconstruction from 720p sigh.
This is the biggest example showing the game project development scope was XBOX-1 with no consideration originally to be a true specified and optimised release for PC.
Typing last sentence actually made me facepalm myself lol :)
But seriously this is depressing for PC, and sums up Arkham and how that was console focus and then just outsourced for port, but now we get the same rendering engine and limitations it had on xbox-1 for Quantum Break.
Trend to me suggests that NVIDIA will have to work harder to engage with developers to ensure AAA games with primary focus on console gets the optimisation its hardware requires on PC, but that is for a different thread.
Cheers

Heh Nvidia usually damned for working too closely with developers and now damned for not. Maybe they need Volumetric Works :)

Heh Nvidia usually damned for working too closely with developers and now damned for not. Maybe they need Volumetric Works :)

Cannot please everyone all of the time :)
But developers should always work close with both NVIDIA/AMD if it is possible, my point about engaging does not necessarily mean they need to work too close.

That said be interesting to know how much the developers engage and even work with AMD for games on consoles.
I see that as a positive because well AMD did not seem to be the greatest doing it on PC :)
Cheers

Back