Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes , Uncharted 4 has a improved technology. The Order 1886 had already a modern tech that works more with materials (where shaders are applied) as with textures. Uncharted goes one step further. The result is an even higher density.

Saw this gif/vid on imgur, of EA UFC2. Tho the motion is bugged, it does highlight the outstanding work being done on for skin deformation and muscles. Watch especially the replaying from a different angle.

http://imgur.com/gallery/LHCvGPA

The fact that this motion is at all possible, again, although it's bugged, is a testament to the physics based animation system.

Very nice physics on hair, also.

Different characters from Quantum Break (cutscene models)

Aidan Gillen
bane57atj.jpg

bane20dx7e.jpg

Dominic Monaghan
pipinh2xi3.jpg

Shawn Ashmore
iceman6bbdn.jpg

iceman2mgafd.jpg

Courtney Hope
bethjjx3j.jpg

The order is accurate and lifelike, yet still 'stylised'; which is probably the perfect combination right now. I think U4 looks amazing in stills, but for the (excellent) motion the realism is just a fraction too high.. taking the whole picture into the road to uncanny valley. How far U4 will travel? I don't know yet.

Quantum Break also hits that spot where it's stylised, but still believable and accurate. IMO

real-time vs CG Nathan Drake from a similar distance (although vastly different lighting conditions)
3fiswh.jpg

While note ingame picture, the ingame model for Marius drom Ryse is absolutely awesome.

Proof that we don't need better character models we need better realtime rendering techniques.

For Star Citizen I know:
-forward rendered skin shader
-recently they developed a new skin shader which should behave even more like human skin
-much more blend shapes, 3*wrinkle maps and dynamic blood flow maps (I personally don't know one game which uses the last one)
-material lookup (which goes around the draw calls) for very high fidelity in very close shots even with SCs scope
-they just implemented a new tech into the first suits which allows multi layer shading. They had to resolve some memory and performance issues for this technique. So far I 've heard not much about multi layer shading in video games.

The last time they showed technically quite current character and clothing was in November. It should be much better now.

What is causing the head/chin jolt on the girl? Is it like the mocap jumpiness I've pointed out in some other post?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back