NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
new NV headquarter finally approved and starts construction:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...-futuristicsanta-clara-campus-is-back-on.html
nvidia-new-corporate-hq-aerial*1200xx1024-576-0-54.jpg

Easy answer: it's California. It never rains there. :p

Anyway, does this HQ look like it could take off and fly into space to any of you guys? I'm unsure myself. It doesn't give off that whole "corporate UFO" vibe IMO, even though X-Files UFOs are triangular with cropped corners... (Pretty sure there's actually a geometric term for that, but I don't know it.)

I am surprised no one has posted this yet:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lcomm-pay-up-after-demise-of-352-million-unit
Nvidia Corp. wants Qualcomm Inc. to pay up for allegedly crushing a $352 million chipset acquisition, according to details of a London lawsuit made public this week.

Nvidia claims it was forced to wind down its cellular mobile broadband chipset business, including its Icera unit just four years after buying it, as a result of Qualcomm’s "unlawful abuse of dominance," according to documents released by a London court Tuesday.

Probably because it has little "news" value excepting the attached damages amount. Icera - while still an independent company- filed the suit against Qualcomm nearly a year before Nvidia acquired the company. I think the general feeling was that between all the antitrust litigation Qualcomm was likely to be undergoing ( such as the 2009 S.Korean judgement of $208m - since added to by the Chinese antitrust judgement of $975m, the Taiwanese, second S.Korean, and EU antitrust investigations) that the market might be a more of a level playing field. No such luck. As Intel, Samsung, LG, and others have demonstrated, achieving market dominance at the expense of rivals is more than worth the value of fines and compensatory judgements levied against them.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...es-6-on-fyq1-beat-higher-q2-view/?mod=BOLBlog

Revenue in the three months ended on May 1st rose 13%, year over year, to $1.305 billion, yielding EPS of 46 cents, excluding some costs.

Analysts had been modeling $1.265 billion and 41 cents a share.

Nvidia’s sales from products for the video game market were $687 million, 17% higher than a year earlier. In the “professional visualization” category, sales rose 4% to $189 million.

Sales for the data center were up 63% at $143 million. Sales into autos were up 47% at $113 million. And sales into various products for original equipment makers (OEMs) declined by 21% to $173 million. The detail is contained in a PDF slide posted on the company’s IR site.

An additional document, the “CFO presentation,” provides a slice by business unit. The company’s GPU sales were up 15% from a year earlier while down 7% from Q4′s level. The “Tegra” processor line saw sales rise 10%.

I would expect them to show on next quarter as it was too close to the end of this one for orders to be booked from a fiscal perspective (would be on their internal financial forecast reports and they would be interesting reading) , in fact they sort of mention that with:
  • Unveiled the NVIDIA Tesla® P100 GPU, the most advanced accelerator ever built, based on the Pascal architecture.
  • Revealed the NVIDIA DGX-1™, the world's first deep-learning supercomputing in a box, with the computing throughput of more than 250 servers.
  • Joined Massachusetts General Hospital as the founding technology partner of the MGH Clinical Data Science Center to advance healthcare by applying AI to improve the detection, diagnosis, treatment and management of diseases
So just announced, also didn't they say the 1st ones going out would be May/June?
It will be easy to see when they show the even pre-orders, as just one of the big orders was for over $40m - replacing Kepler in one of the CERN associated supercomputer labs.
That said there is a notable spike in Q1 17 financials for Datacenter.

Cheers

Last edited:
I would expect them to show on next quarter as it was too close to the end of this one for orders to be booked from a fiscal perspective (would be on their internal financial forecast reports and they would be interesting reading) , ...
Having read through the seekingalpha transcript, I have to agree. Most of the commentary around GP100 is written in future tense, even with regard to the first customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back