Game development presentations - a useful reference

A nice quick follow that leads on from above is the just under 7m video done by OfficialNinjaTheory on capturing human facial-body expressions, also has a little bit of Andy Serkis in it aww :) - more seriously seems he is involved quite a bit due to his great experience.
Great to see how developers approach this challenge when one does not have the full AAA budget.

Cheers

I'll buy this game just because of this vid! One really needs to support this passion!

I'll buy this game just because of this vid! One really needs to support this passion!
Yeah, and also shows just what can be done outside of the AAA budgets.
Would be great if we get at some point similar/comparable video diary-blog regarding recently released Quantum Break, seems to have some interesting blending of concepts that fit in with these discussions - yeah appreciate that game is a AAA project though.
Cheers

I'm not interested in this game for some reason, but indeed the devs are brilliant. I like the part that they fit what looks like Paul Debevec's lightstage into a plant pot!

The following recent-ish March 2016 video on how they have taken this concept further shows one possible future solution that may also evolve to cinematography/CGI films IMO.
Really slick how they can now do this real-time with all aspects together, acting-capturing-critically playback with full environment (that is what the beginning of the following presentation shows).

Great video to watch, and one way uncanny valley will be overcome - context links back to Clukos video
Cheers

The thing that excites me most is their Lightfields realtime GI / ambient lighting solution, which is fast enough for VR! And the beautiful thing is that, they say it can be a performance win due to not having to manually place lights to mimic ambient lighting.
Maybe fast enough for simple graphics. After all, they say their using the static cached version of the tech for The Heist.

Maybe fast enough for simple graphics. After all, they say their using the static cached version of the tech for The Heist.
True for a 60fps game, but this may still allow realtime GI for a 30fps game, I doubt it takes more than 16ms based on their presentation.

They say they've still not adapted it to larger scenes, which they'd have to do tl use it for the racing demo. So it's still single-cascade pretty much. So there's still a lot of work to do still, even at 30fps

Battlefront looks ridiculously good, at 60fps, handily beats 30fps games on looking beautiful department. Incredible showcase of FrostBite. I don't think the team received enough praise. I even think if they made this game a 30fps game but looking exactly the same, people would "understand" why it had to run at 30fps to achieve the [same] results, and still praise the game's visuals pretty much the same.

That's sort of like a compliment (like the invisible effects in the movie VFX industry, the best compliment for them is that you don't notice them). People forget that this game ALSO runs at 60fps while looking that good. I'm probably only making sense to myself though!

Interesting. Would be cool to see a good comparison of Ubisoft Rainbow 6 team's checkerboard interpolation to @sebbbi technique for RedLynx. If I'm reading right Siege renders geometry and lighting to 1/4 resolution and then interpolates to 1080p before post processing, where sebbbi renders geometry to 1/4 res and then interpolates UVs by exploiting MSAA samples to a 1080p buffer before fragment/pixel shading and post processing. Quite different techniques, but also some similarities.

Interesting. Would be cool to see a good comparison of Ubisoft Rainbow 6 team's checkerboard interpolation to @sebbbi technique for RedLynx. If I'm reading right Siege renders geometry and lighting to 1/4 resolution and then interpolates to 1080p before post processing, where sebbbi renders geometry to 1/4 res and then interpolates UVs by exploiting MSAA samples to a 1080p buffer before fragment/pixel shading and post processing. Quite different techniques, but also some similarities.
In theory, sebbbi has got to be superior in every way. What's in qiestion is how much a difference it makes in the final output...

Sent from my LG-D385 using Tapatalk

Battlefront looks ridiculously good, at 60fps, handily beats 30fps games on looking beautiful department. Incredible showcase of FrostBite. I don't think the team received enough praise. I even think if they made this game a 30fps game but looking exactly the same, people would "understand" why it had to run at 30fps to achieve the [same] results, and still praise the game's visuals pretty much the same.

That's sort of like a compliment (like the invisible effects in the movie VFX industry, the best compliment for them is that you don't notice them). People forget that this game ALSO runs at 60fps while looking that good. I'm probably only making sense to myself though!
Hear Hear! Indeed. Can't wait to play the next realistic Battlefield (and next Battlefront) at 1080p and locked 60fps on master race PC PS4K !

Back