Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The grainy low res volumetric lighting is very reminiscent of lighting in Alan Wake, it's as if they didn't bother to filter/blur/smooth it at all. There are other games out there that do low res volumetric lighting with good to relatively good results like Killzone Shadowfall, Farcry and Fallout 4.

looks really nice lighting, ooi what the hell is that at 7:45 that pops into view!?

image.jpg

Kinda having a good time with the Resident Evil 6 remaster. Besides the fact that consistent performance and wider FOV make it easier to score those all-important head shots, Capcom also sneaked in some other small improvements. The QTEs are still intrusive, but their execution has been streamlined on various occasions. For example, towards the end of Leon's campaign you had to climb an elevator cable by alternating between L2 and R2 (while also dodging a monster every now and then by pressing square+x). Now you just have to hold down R2. The timing on the many life-or-death QTEs is a lot more forgiving as well now. Probably my first time playing RE6 where I didn't end up in a Chinese meat grinder in chapter 4 with Leon.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Dirt Rally
The spirit of McRae is back - along with 60fps gameplay.

Oh that's a good port to console. I'm so very glad that they stuck with 60 FPS rather than trying to match more of the PC graphics settings at 30 FPS. Racing games, IMO, must be at least 60 FPS to feel at all responsive and give a good driving experience. But who am I kidding. Almost all games with any focus on motion must be 60 FPS, IMO. :D

This gives me hope that there are still developers on console that care more about gameplay than they do about graphics. Not that Dirt Rally is a bad looking game, it isn't, but that they had an uncompromising 60 FPS commitment.

Regards,
SB

I'm really interested in this but due to the tearing I'll wait, again it'll be cheaper and better in a few months...it seems a trend at the moment, seems little reward buying games at launch.

This is why I don't like DF, in their first video on the game, the xbox one version tears during normal conditions, yet doesn't get mentioned in their roundup while the PS4 version does.

If you are going to make a point, if it's applicable to both platforms then say so, do not try and twist the results the way you want.

Personally, I've had this game since day one early access on PC, but it was appalling to play on controller. Might give it another go now they have made consoles versions see if the changes have been applied to the PC version.

Digital Foundry reviews the HTC Vive review
A whole new world.

It makes PSVR look tidy!

wholekit.png

And yet there's nothing quite like this. Load up any of the key Vive titles and it's like nothing you've experienced before. Gaming feels fresh, exciting, renewed - a giddy feeling after years of variations on the same themes. This is more than just a gimmick: it's an entirely new, blank canvas for developers to work with and it's already delivering some unique experiences. Clearly, it's not quite the finished article, but I can't wait to see how it develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back